Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Idaho to be a part of the Pacific Northwest?
Yes. 18 45.00%
No. 22 55.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 11:50 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
The bolded is debatable. Boise actually is weird, quirky and has that NW vibe to it. There is a large tech industry, art scene, music scene, liberal citizens, a noted dining scene heavy on Vegan cuisine, etc. Boise is like a cooler, younger and of course much smaller version of Portland without the problems Portland currently has. The positive about the rest of Idaho being more conservative is that Boise, even as it continues to grow and become even more liberal, will never become a mess like Portland is know. Also, the LDS percentage in the Boise area is much lower compared to the rest of the state. The highest LDS percentage is in SE Idaho.

Treefort Music Fest, and indie fest held every March in downtown Boise, has been referred to as Portland's best music fest, was recently ranked one of the best music festivals in the world.

I think to get a proper feel of the Boise vibe, one has to actually live here or vacation here for a few months.

You're right-- it's debatable. But I was mostly talking about the whole state of Idaho, not just Boise and I only brought it up because it's the state's largest city/metro. My brother lived there for 5+ years so I spent plenty of time there and have been all over Idaho.

Tbh, I don't find Boise to be anything close to Seattle or Vancouver-- like at all. Bend, OR? Sure. Portland is, indeed, a mess and it's a good thing Boise isn't there yet, but the city itself is unlike much of the rest of the state. It's tiny purplish dot in a sea of red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 12:03 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
It was supposed to be the new capital, wasn't it? Saw a video
My mistake. It wasn't Idaho City, but Lewiston that was the original capital. Wow, that would have created a whole different dynamic, wouldn't it?

Old 01-12-2023, 05:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You're right-- it's debatable. But I was mostly talking about the whole state of Idaho, not just Boise and I only brought it up because it's the state's largest city/metro. My brother lived there for 5+ years so I spent plenty of time there and have been all over Idaho.

Tbh, I don't find Boise to be anything close to Seattle or Vancouver-- like at all. Bend, OR? Sure. Portland is, indeed, a mess and it's a good thing Boise isn't there yet, but the city itself is unlike much of the rest of the state. It's tiny purplish dot in a sea of red.
Interesting post. I find Boise almost the perfect size metro. However, cost of living is changing and Boise is catching up with Seattle and Portland with housing prices. These prices may come down due to the upcoming recession but the savings may be slow.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:53 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Boise's secret has been out for a while, and it's somewhat unfortunate that hordes of people have rushed in and driven up housing costs. When my brother moved there, houses were 200-300k and finding an apartment was cheap and easy. Now? Houses are 500k+ and it's tough to find a decent 1BR for under $1500. Needless to say he's left the state, and although he misses it, he could not survive there on a teacher's salary. I feel sorry for the folks who have been priced out, but a place like Boise could only stay under the radar for so long...

Old 01-12-2023, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Boise's secret has been out for a while, and it's somewhat unfortunate that hordes of people have rushed in and driven up housing costs. When my brother moved there, houses were 200-300k and finding an apartment was cheap and easy. Now? Houses are 500k+ and it's tough to find a decent 1BR for under $1500. Needless to say he's left the state, and although he misses it, he could not survive there on a teacher's salary. I feel sorry for the folks who have been priced out, but a place like Boise could only stay under the radar for so long...
agreed , Boise was afforabe 6 years

Yes, agreed. The time to buy in Boise was 5 to 6 years ago. It is all about timing.now.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-12-2023 at 07:56 PM..

Old 01-14-2023, 02:44 PM

1,070 posts, read 789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
Isn't Boise considered Austin North now? Or the Seattle of Idaho? Or the San Francisco of Idaho? I know last time I went into the downtown I didn't see any homeless camps, so there is definitely PROGRESS to be made in THAT direction!
Guessing you haven't spend much time in SF. Other than having a lot of buildings and people, they're very different places.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
...last time I went into the downtown I didn't see any homeless camps, so there is definitely PROGRESS to be made in THAT direction!
I truly hope you are not suggesting that we allow homeless camps downtown. That we are not "progressing" until we do.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-21-2023, 05:51 AM

571 posts, read 1,173,956 times
Quote:
Isn't Boise considered Austin North now? Or the Seattle of Idaho? Or the San Francisco of Idaho? I know last time I went into the downtown I didn't see any homeless camps, so there is definitely PROGRESS to be made in THAT direction!
I really like Boise.

It cracks me up when people call it the 'Seattle, Portland, Austin, SF of Idaho'. I grew up in Idaho. There is nowhere in Idaho like those cities. The Seattle metro population alone is twice the number of people Idaho has in the entire state. Boise's downtown is the size of a neighborhood in these cities, and I'm not saying that as a dig. It's just funny to say the traffic, environment, or living conditions are similar. Boise is comparable to Spokane, Reno, and maybe SLC (which is a lot larger as well). That's about it.

Living in North Idaho as a kid, we always considered the area a mix of the PNW and Mountain West. It's a hybrid state IMO. It does have cultural and political similarities to eastern Oregon and Washington, as well as parts of Montana, Wyoming, and Utah.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
I don't view Idaho as the Pacific Northwest. I reserve that to Washington and Oregon and maybe far Northern California. To me Idaho is what is referred to as "The Intermountain West" such as Montana, Wyoming and Utah.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:12 PM

Agreed, except for the panhandle. Turn on your tv in Sand Point or even Lewiston you will get Spokane news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho