Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 08:49 AM

32,728 posts, read 48,355,590 times

Advertisements

You rarely hear anyone singing about how they are Dreaming of a White Easter, or about seeing bunny tracks in the snow.

It was snowing when I went to bed last night and it is still snowing this morning. There is about 1/2 an inch on the ground so far, but I imagine there has been more snow than that as it was melting off as it landed last night.

It's only the middle of April, so we will get some more cold weather before summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 10:16 AM

33,014 posts, read 36,569,063 times
It's only happened to me once. My eldest brother took me camping that weekend. The snow started at first light. It was coming down so fast that we lost small bits of gear while packing. The mile plus walk back to the car took a really long time. The snow was almost up to my knees before we got there. We took turns carrying the terrier.

"And who could forget Easter 1970, when 11 inches of snow fell on the
Wyoming Valley?"

https://www.timesleader.com/archive/...-memory-parade

There was more snow at elevation where we were.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:04 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,775,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's only happened to me once. My eldest brother took me camping that weekend. The snow started at first light. It was coming down so fast that we lost small bits of gear while packing. The mile plus walk back to the car took a really long time. The snow was almost up to my knees before we got there. We took turns carrying the terrier.

"And who could forget Easter 1970, when 11 inches of snow fell on the
Wyoming Valley?"

https://www.timesleader.com/archive/...-memory-parade

There was more snow at elevation where we were.
I remember that ! I was born there but lived in Clark’s Summit at the time. That year it snowed and the year before or after it was so hot my chocolate bunny melted on the picnic table outside.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:05 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,775,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You rarely hear anyone singing about how they are Dreaming of a White Easter, or about seeing bunny tracks in the snow.

It was snowing when I went to bed last night and it is still snowing this morning. There is about 1/2 an inch on the ground so far, but I imagine there has been more snow than that as it was melting off as it landed last night.

It's only the middle of April, so we will get some more cold weather before summer.
We had about an inch here on the South Hill in Spokane too.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:25 PM

3,316 posts, read 1,793,643 times
We had a few snow showers here in New Hampshire earlier. Nothing sticking to the ground, thankfully. We just switched over from snow tires last Friday.

Old 04-17-2022, 02:09 PM

820 posts, read 1,076,958 times
Bogus Basin Ski Resort outside of Boise had a fun event Saturday - "Supply Chain Saturday". They had previously closed due to lack of snow, but then re-opened for the day claiming the snow they ordered in February finally showed up. They received over 3' of snow in a week!

Old 04-17-2022, 08:58 PM

29,228 posts, read 22,475,003 times
I just heard a forecast last night that said the remainder of April will stay colder than normal.

The snow in the panhandle has been heavier this year than the rest of the state, but Idaho is still in drought. I hope this cold foretells a rainy May.

I never knew until just a couple of weeks ago that Ukraine supplies 1/3 of the world's grain crops. None of those Ukrainian wheat fields will be planted until the battles on them are over, and there's only about a 60-day window left at most before planting has to begin to get a harvest.

If Idaho and Montana can get enough snow/rain in those 60 days, we could make up quite a lot of that shortage planting high-protein spring wheat.
The high-protein red winter wheat was already planted last fall here, and a good wet spring that lasts into early summer could make it a bumper crop un-irrigated.

Old 04-18-2022, 12:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,749 posts, read 81,674,039 times
We had a brief snow flurry every day from Thursday - Saturday, but Easter was a beautiful sunny day, in the 60s. I just had to take out the Nova for a drive, even though it still needs a new carburetor, shocks and tires. Today was supposed to be a big storm with lots of rain, but so far just overcast here at work in Seattle, light drizzle at home.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:56 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,818,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The snow in the panhandle has been heavier this year than the rest of the state, but Idaho is still in drought. I hope this cold foretells a rainy May.
It has, (so far), been a pretty mild winter. For the first time in several years, I did not have to chip ice on the street in front of my house. Precipitation is almost half of what was forecast before the season started. The local meteorologist were expecting a particularly heavy snowfall season, but it turned out to be the opposite.

The two mini-snow storms we experienced this past week resulted in snow that was pretty much gone/melted by noontime. Even in the shadows.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-18-2022, 07:50 PM

29,228 posts, read 22,475,003 times
Yes.
The anticipated snow never came anywhere in the state, but NID did better because it got some early snowstorms that never came southward.

My January heat bill is always the largest, but this year was less than 2021's bill. Most unusually, February was much warmer than March this year.

Sometimes in these cold early springs bring very rainy Mays, and the rain can sometimes go on into early June.

I hope May rains and rains. Another summer as dry as last year's will drop the water level on every well in the state if the reservoirs aren't full enough to fill the water demand.

The residential wells will be the first to drop, as most aren't as deep as the farming wells. Farms economize water usage by irrigating late at night, when there's less evaporation, but residential wells' demand is more a 24-hour demand, especially in cities.

I've been thinking lately about tearing out all the Kentucky bluegrass out of my yards and replacing it with drylands grasses that don't need as much water. My lawn would look scruffy if I did, but that would be better than allowing the bluegrass to dry up by July.
I plan on 40 minutes of water front and back combined for this summer. That's not enough to keep bluegrass from scorching, but I would rather have my water to drink than to keep the grass green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho