Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 01:21 PM

9,433 posts, read 11,191,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Oooooh, hot topic! No no no, Standard Time should go away! I want more daylight in late afternoon/evenings! And now I'm off to set all the clocks in the house ahead one hour.
Yes yes yes! Who can be against saving some daylight? Remember, it's for the children!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2022, 07:06 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,902,014 times
Fun fact: parts of Eastern Oregon (near Ontario) are also in the mountain time zone. My guess would be this area is closer to Boise than any major city in Oregon. And they get Boise media.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:16 AM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Why? Because some bureaucrat with a pencil drew the line that way. There most likely isn't any "reason" at all.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:10 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Fun fact: parts of Eastern Oregon (near Ontario) are also in the mountain time zone. My guess would be this area is closer to Boise than any major city in Oregon. And they get Boise media.
The Boise media market basically extends through Baker City to La Grande at the east base of The Blues. The Boise CSA encompasses Malheur County.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:42 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why? Because some bureaucrat with a pencil drew the line that way. There most likely isn't any "reason" at all.
No.
There were real reasons that met real needs at the time.

The zones were set entirely for human needs and geography was largely ignored.

Back then, if the demarcation screwed Idaho up, there were so few people here that they didn't matter much to the rest of the nation. Never forget the state of Idaho is the remainder of the once-huge territory no one else wanted.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:04 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
When I was growing up, a long time ago, DST was intended to have the sun up when kids were going to school. A protection for them to avoid harm or kidnapping when dark.
Originally, DST was intended to save electricity. Human concerns were secondary.

That came at a time when much of rural America was un-electrified. But that was also most of the nation, as farming was the nation's largest industry.

100 years ago, once harvest was complete, farms became idle throughout the winter months. But during the spring and fall, farms that were electrified used more electricity that helped fewer people do their jobs.

A century later, everything that surrounds Daylight Saving time changed radically.

I think it could have been dropped many years ago, but since all scheduling had to change, especially transport schedules, there wasn't enough civic will to force the change. We all became accustomed to it, like a habit no one wants, but is hard to break.

I think it was very wise to give it a year before the law goes into effect. Once you begin thinking about how important it is for trucks to arrive at the right time of day to deliver everything, and how our goods have to be transferred around so much before they're loaded onto trucks, scheduling becomes very, very complicated.

I never gave a thought to that until a friend got a job with a freight forwarding company. I never knew such businesses even existed.

That company never actually handled any freight at all; it's job was to schedule all the intermediate steps between the different means of transport so everything arrives on the proper time schedules.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:26 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,902,014 times
North Idaho is on Pacific time. South Idaho is on Mountain time. I believe this has everything to do with relation to the other larger cities (and today’s media markets) to the actual locale. Thus, North Idaho is Pacific to blend with Spokane, and SW Idaho (Boise) is mountain to blend with Salt Lake. Which brings up the age old question is Boise West coast or Rocky Mountain? By some standards Boise is close enough to the west coast to be part of that, but I personally believe it is more Rocky Mountain in general feel. I think the debate is whether or not Idaho is considered part of the west coast. Of course the state isn’t coastal but the state tends to relate more to the west coast, mainly the western portions.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-29-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: