Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:16 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlytortoise View Post
WOW! I never knew Boise would be economically tied to Salt Lake City despite being a whopping THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY miles away!
Right? SE Idaho, the I-15 corridor is somewhat tied economically to SL but is connected more religiously to the Beehive. The LDS percentage in the Boise area, 16%, is much less than other areas of Southern Idaho. Most of Southern Idaho from Twin Falls westward is tied economically to Boise. Boise and it's metro is a powerhouse in its own right, after all Boise is home to several national and international corporations. The tech scene in Boise is growing swiftly and many are local startups evidenced by the tech corridor downtown.

Both of Boise's hospital networks are ranked among the best nationally.

40% of Idahoans live in the Boise area and will probably rise to 50% or more within the decade. The current population numbers are currently higher than what is indicated in the link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boise_metropolitan_area

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Er852RoZsWqjHd
Quote:
The general concept of a metropolitan area (MA)1 is that of a core area containing a large population nucleus, together with adjacent communities that have a high degree of economic and social integration with that core.
I am a native Idahoan and grew up in Southern Idaho so I'm aware of the social and economic dynamics of the area.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 03-13-2022 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: fixed a bad link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2022, 02:24 PM

58 posts, read 32,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Volosongs explanation is correct. The only other thing I would add is the influence of the LDS church, which is based in Salt Lake City. Boise, still has a lot of LDS church members.

I take it you have never lived in southern Idaho. I am curious where you do live??

Out west, 340 miles was a day trip. Spokane's economic influence area includes eastern BC, Alberta, eastern Washington, eastern Oregon, and most of Montana. The local PBS station is Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Calgary, and Edmonton on the signature page. Edmonton is over 600 miles away.

Yes, Boise is growing into a "economic powerhouse", but it wasn't that long ago that it was just a very, nice small town.

Boise's ties to Salt Lake City are probably slipping. BTW Boise had those multi-national corporations based there when it was a small town. In fact, it had more of them.

My observation is that historically the ties to "metro" areas has been first through the medical system. I suspect that is currently changing as Boise develops its medical facilities.
I live in the main part of California which is from the Sierra Nevada Mountains/Cascade Ranges/Peninsular Ranges combo westwards. It is solidly West Coast, so of course it's definitely Pacific Time.

Old 03-14-2022, 06:26 AM

560 posts, read 436,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Oooooh, hot topic! No no no, Standard Time should go away! I want more daylight in late afternoon/evenings! And now I'm off to set all the clocks in the house ahead one hour.
I’m good with one OR the other staying. Just tired of the unnecessary changing.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:30 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Oooooh, hot topic! No no no, Standard Time should go away! I want more daylight in late afternoon/evenings! And now I'm off to set all the clocks in the house ahead one hour.
What always struck me as being odd about Daylight Saving Time was that it was supposedly created for farmers.

Farmers have always worked from sunup to sundown, following the natural cycle of life.
And back in 1918, farmers were not using electricity. Horses were still doing the work tractors did later. Steam power did the work the horses couldn't. Coal oil still lit the farmhouses.

Electrification came to the countryside 20 years after the cities were fully powered.

During wartime, where's the most vital need for electricity? In the factories and the offices that all help the war effort. In cities.

I've thought for a long time the farmers were the excuse to get a lot of city folks out of bed and on the job earlier than they had ever done before. Because in 1918, electricity was in short supply.

Nowadays, Saving Time is no longer a necessity anywhere in the nation. We only continue to use it because we have used it for so long.

Old 03-14-2022, 04:38 PM

560 posts, read 436,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
What always struck me as being odd about Daylight Saving Time was that it was supposedly created for farmers.

Farmers have always worked from sunup to sundown, following the natural cycle of life.
And back in 1918, farmers were not using electricity. Horses were still doing the work tractors did later. Steam power did the work the horses couldn't. Coal oil still lit the farmhouses.

Electrification came to the countryside 20 years after the cities were fully powered.

During wartime, where's the most vital need for electricity? In the factories and the offices that all help the war effort. In cities.

I've thought for a long time the farmers were the excuse to get a lot of city folks out of bed and on the job earlier than they had ever done before. Because in 1918, electricity was in short supply.

Nowadays, Saving Time is no longer a necessity anywhere in the nation. We only continue to use it because we have used it for so long.
Interesting fact of the day. A town in Ontario Canada in 1908 (?) was the first in the world to institute DST.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:35 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:

Wow, I guess the Senate read my post! Fast work, too! How wonderful to be an influencer!
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/15/polit...ent/index.html

Old 03-15-2022, 11:51 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Wow, I guess the Senate read my post! Fast work, too! How wonderful to be an influencer!
https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/15/polit...ent/index.html

Unanimous too. Read the article here:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...time-permanent

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-16-2022, 03:52 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
If it passes it need to remain in Standard time to jive with the sunrise. From what I'm reading, that's not the plan.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:50 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
If it passes it need to remain in Standard time to jive with the sunrise. From what I'm reading, that's not the plan.
Yup. A bill just passed the House to make Daylight Saving Time permanent in 2023.
Congress already shortened Standard time by almost 4 months a few years ago, so making Daylight Saving permanent really won't be much of a change as it would have been.

I noticed that shortness this winter, but I never knew Standard time had been shortened. I thought I missed the date to turn my clocks back late, but I accidentally hit the right date when I did it.

There are a lot of valid reasons for it.
-Darkness comes too early using Standard time in the late afternoons in winter, so all the traffic at end of work is driven in darkness, making the drive more dangerous.

-People tend to drink after work, and the early dark makes any impairment more likely to cause accidents.

-Kids are out more around 5:00 pm than in the early mornings.

-Life in general is slower and less congested and active in the mornings.

So the thought is to load up all the problems and dangers of darkness onto the early morning hours instead of splitting them up between morning and early evening.

We're so far north that making Daylight Saving Time permanent probably won't make all that much difference to us, but the further south one goes, the difference will be greater.

We don't have a large population here, either, so we aren't as affected by the problems states with higher populations have with Standard time.

Personally, I hope the bill passes into law. Losing that hour every spring always messes me up for a week, and our long twilight hours are my favorites of a day during summer.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:26 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,782,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup. A bill just passed the House to make Daylight Saving Time permanent in 2023.
Congress already shortened Standard time by almost 4 months a few years ago, so making Daylight Saving permanent really won't be much of a change as it would have been.

I noticed that shortness this winter, but I never knew Standard time had been shortened. I thought I missed the date to turn my clocks back late, but I accidentally hit the right date when I did it.

There are a lot of valid reasons for it.
-Darkness comes too early using Standard time in the late afternoons in winter, so all the traffic at end of work is driven in darkness, making the drive more dangerous.

-People tend to drink after work, and the early dark makes any impairment more likely to cause accidents.

-Kids are out more around 5:00 pm than in the early mornings.

-Life in general is slower and less congested and active in the mornings.

So the thought is to load up all the problems and dangers of darkness onto the early morning hours instead of splitting them up between morning and early evening.

We're so far north that making Daylight Saving Time permanent probably won't make all that much difference to us, but the further south one goes, the difference will be greater.

We don't have a large population here, either, so we aren't as affected by the problems states with higher populations have with Standard time.

Personally, I hope the bill passes into law. Losing that hour every spring always messes me up for a week, and our long twilight hours are my favorites of a day during summer.
When I was growing up, a long time ago, DST was intended to have the sun up when kids were going to school. A protection for them to avoid harm or kidnapping when dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: