Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 08:10 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Idaho Falls chose a similar path to urban downtown renewal as Caldwells, but our downtown buildings were, in general, in much better condition, so fewer were demolished.

The big deal here in our downtown is to let the old show. The old buildings are being stripped of the false fronts that covered up all the old architectural elements. Beginning in the early 50s, owners covered them up with new steel siding in an attempt to make them look sleek and modern to better match the times.

Now, downtown Idaho Falls is increasingly looking more like it did 100 years ago, but all cleaned up and restored. New buildings are designed to fit in with the historic look, and some of the bland downtown buildings that were built in the 70s are being demolished to be replaced with new that have more exterior historical interest.

Idaho Falls has been a hub city for a very long time and the downtown was full of nice old hotels. These are being converted into downtown apartments that are fully overhauled inside and out. The Bonneville Hotel is one in particular; it was one of the best for decades, then gradually slipped into decay until a fire that destroyed a portion of it closed it for about 10 years.
The new owners have almost finished a complete renewal, and it's now as beautiful as ever. So are several others that have been completed.

Downtown living does have a lot of advantages here. A person can still walk or ride a bike to get anything they need in the streets that surround our downtown. Except for seeing a movie. All our movie theaters are now on the opposite side of town, consolidated into one big complex.
Good stuff going on in Idaho Falls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 12:23 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
I think the best answer to the OP's question is:
There is no second city in Idaho.

There's Boise, which has always been the largest and the Capital, and several regional cities that serve as hubs scattered in all the state corners. Each is as important as the other with no regard to size. Each is different from the others, and all the hubs have their own suburbs. Each functions independently of the others, but all roads lead to Boise.

Idaho isn't like other states. Common term simply don't apply here.

I've noticed in this thread some folks are tying to parse this. The fact is each hub has a very large surrounding area, so there are few differences worth mentioning in the suburbs that surround them.

Weiser, Fruitland and New Plymouth are all a part of greater Boise.
Jerome, Hagerman, and Wendell are a part of greater Twin Falls.
Rigby, Firth, Rexburg, and Shelly are a part of greater Idaho Falls.
Blackfoot, FT. Hall, American Falls, and Burley are a part of greater Pocatello.
Athol, Hayden, St. Maries, Kellogg and Wallace are all part of greater Coeur d'Alene.

There are several smaller hubs that lie outside all of these; Lewiston/Moscow, Mt. Home, Sandpoint, Malad, and others.

Now that Idaho has been discovered, don't expect to see many differences in the folks who live here. With few exceptions, everything someone is used to seeing anywhere in the U.S. is seen here. Idaho left the Wild West behind 100 years ago.

Our differences are much more geologic than social. Our climate is the same from top to bottom, and there's only one rule to remember about it: Higher is colder. Lower is warmer.

Idaho is still under-populated. One thing that's still abundant here is isolation, so if that's what a newcomer seeks, it's easy to find, but it's no longer as cheap as it once was.
Beware the thought privacy is something to be desired.
Here, isolation= privacy in a lot of newcomer's minds, but isolation brings great loneliness, and it also brings a lot of hard work once the snow falls. It also tends to breed boredom and discontent after a while once the new wears off.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:52 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think the best answer to the OP's question is:
There is no second city in Idaho.

There's Boise, which has always been the largest and the Capital, and several regional cities that serve as hubs scattered in all the state corners. Each is as important as the other with no regard to size. Each is different from the others, and all the hubs have their own suburbs. Each functions independently of the others, but all roads lead to Boise.

Idaho isn't like other states. Common term simply don't apply here.

I've noticed in this thread some folks are tying to parse this. The fact is each hub has a very large surrounding area, so there are few differences worth mentioning in the suburbs that surround them.

Weiser, Fruitland and New Plymouth are all a part of greater Boise.
Jerome, Hagerman, and Wendell are a part of greater Twin Falls.
Rigby, Firth, Rexburg, and Shelly are a part of greater Idaho Falls.
Blackfoot, FT. Hall, American Falls, and Burley are a part of greater Pocatello.
Athol, Hayden, St. Maries, Kellogg and Wallace are all part of greater Coeur d'Alene.

There are several smaller hubs that lie outside all of these; Lewiston/Moscow, Mt. Home, Sandpoint, Malad, and others.

Now that Idaho has been discovered, don't expect to see many differences in the folks who live here. With few exceptions, everything someone is used to seeing anywhere in the U.S. is seen here. Idaho left the Wild West behind 100 years ago.

Our differences are much more geologic than social. Our climate is the same from top to bottom, and there's only one rule to remember about it: Higher is colder. Lower is warmer.

Idaho is still under-populated. One thing that's still abundant here is isolation, so if that's what a newcomer seeks, it's easy to find, but it's no longer as cheap as it once was.
Beware the thought privacy is something to be desired.
Here, isolation= privacy in a lot of newcomer's minds, but isolation brings great loneliness, and it also brings a lot of hard work once the snow falls. It also tends to breed boredom and discontent after a while once the new wears off.
Isolated areas usually have high depression/suicide rates. Seasonal Disorder problems.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Isolated areas usually have high depression/suicide rates. Seasonal Disorder problems.
Possibly for those who aren’t independent by nature. After working several years in retail and service industries, I welcomed (still do) my time isolated from others. Granted I’m not in an isolated area per say, but rather I create it. My husband’s job takes him away from our home and when holidays would roll around often times friends and coworkers would feel bad for my being alone and invite me over. No!! I cherished my time, at home with my dogs and doing whatever I felt like doing.

Am I a hermit? No, I simply prefer a healthy balance in life.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Possibly for those who aren’t independent by nature. After working several years in retail and service industries, I welcomed (still do) my time isolated from others. Granted I’m not in an isolated area per say, but rather I create it. My husband’s job takes him away from our home and when holidays would roll around often times friends and coworkers would feel bad for my being alone and invite me over. No!! I cherished my time, at home with my dogs and doing whatever I felt like doing.

Am I a hermit? No, I simply prefer a healthy balance in life.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:54 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
I tend to agree there is no real 2nd city in Idaho. But if I were forced to answer I probably would go with Idaho Falls. It continues to grow. It also serves as the central city for southeastern Idaho.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I tend to agree there is no real 2nd city in Idaho. But if I were forced to answer I probably would go with Idaho Falls. It continues to grow. It also serves as the central city for southeastern Idaho.
What about Idaho City up in the hills?

IF certrainly has alot of amenities.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:59 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
What about Idaho City up in the hills?

IF certrainly has alot of amenities.
Idaho City is part of the Boise Metro Area.

Another city in Idaho that has a booming economy is Twin Falls.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Idaho City is part of the Boise Metro Area.

Another city in Idaho that has a booming economy is Twin Falls.
This is true. Yes TF is also growing.

Old 08-16-2021, 07:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,781,400 times
Quote:
This is true. Yes TF is also growing.
I would say basically 4 cities, in different areas.
Boise West

CDL North

Idaho Falls East

twin falls Central South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho