Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 01:47 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I always kind of considered CDA as Idaho's second city. It anchors the northern half of the state. It doesn't have the second largest population within its city limits, but its part of the second largest metro, and has more a traditional downtown than Meridian/Nampa.
Meridian has a small historic downtown area that is growing with new developments.

Downtown Nampa is actually just as large and traditional as downtown Twin Falls and Idaho Falls and I would even say CD'A...minus the highrises. There are dozens of blocks of historic buildings.

Downtown Caldwell is very similar to the look of downtown Nampa but a bit smaller.

https://www.downtownnampa.com/

https://www.destinationcaldwell.com/downtown/

https://www.meridiandowntown.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 03:07 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
I have to disagree with Syringaloid about Caldwell's downtown area.

WhenI lived there for over 4 years in the early 70s, most of the downtown was still there, including the historic Saratoga Hotel and the U.P. train depot, and all of the Arthur St. and Cleveland Ave. businesses, including the big Sears buildings, Pennywise Drugs, a favorite place that stocked the latest records and other stuff, and a mixture of aging bars, apparel shops, 2 music stores, and many others.

20 years ago while returning home from Weiser, I decided to pull off the Interstate and take a short trip down memory lane and re-visit downtown Caldwell. Much to my surprise, almost all of it had been demolished!

What replaced it, especially surrounding the downtown Indian Creek Plaza is all newer than 20 years but was constructed to look old and updated.

I have to say it's a big improvement from when I lived there. The Caldwell I knew wasn't a pretty town, nor was it a particularly pleasant place to live in. The entire downtown area was old, very worn down and in a general state of slow decay. The entire city had a half-finished look to it; some of the paved streets suddenly changed to gravel and dirt halfway down the street, and Caldwell still used paved irrigation ditches to water neighborhood lawns. Indian Creek was more an open sewer than anything, and was to be avoided, even though it wound its way through most of the city.

I was very happy to see what followed all the demolition I saw in 2001. Their urban renewal efforts must be paying off, because it's now a city that's very attractive and much better organized. The new is definitely much better than the old ever was.

I had heard earlier that the Saratoga Hotel had caught fire and was completely destroyed, and I'm sorry it's gone. It actually was a grand old hotel that was historically very important.
The Saratoga was the place where the assassination of Governor Stunenberg was planned, and where the bomb that killed him was fabricated by Harry Orchard, his assassin.
He was captured in the Saratoga shortly afterward, and the affair became America's first "Trial Of the Century"- the first trial that the term was used. The trial gained so much notoriety it became the must-attend event of the year that drew celebrities from all over the nation, and many of them stayed in the Saratoga.
Orchard went on to serve the longest life sentence ever in the state. He escaped execution through the efforts of Clarence Darrow, his lawyer, and spent 80 years in the old prison before he died there.

I visited Orchard's room once, and it was basically unchanged from what it was in in 1905. All of his effects were gone, of course, but it looked like the only thing that had been replaced over the years was the mattress and bedding.

Old 08-09-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I have to disagree with Syringaloid about Caldwell's downtown area.
I didn't really mention much about downtown Caldwell, but rather downtown Nampa which reminds me a lot of the look of downtown Idaho Falls or Twin Falls.

I don't know what downtown Caldwell looked like 20 years ago, but even today it has good amount of old historic buildings and the new development centered around Indian Creek which includes the new ice skating serpentine track.

I'm not disagreeing that downtown Caldwell may have looked beat up years ago, but in current time it is a benefactor of the Boise areas growth and wealth and being next to a growing wine region. $$$

Downtown Caldwell has come a long way the past 10 years and is more vibrant than it used to be and has some great new restaurants. It isn't as large as downtown Nampa, but isn't too shabby.

https://www.indiancreekplaza.com/

I know from reading Idaho news, that downtown Idaho Falls, Twin Falls and Pocatello are experiencing their own respective downtown beautification projects.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 08-09-2021 at 03:40 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 04:56 PM

Idaho Falls chose a similar path to urban downtown renewal as Caldwells, but our downtown buildings were, in general, in much better condition, so fewer were demolished.

The big deal here in our downtown is to let the old show. The old buildings are being stripped of the false fronts that covered up all the old architectural elements. Beginning in the early 50s, owners covered them up with new steel siding in an attempt to make them look sleek and modern to better match the times.

Now, downtown Idaho Falls is increasingly looking more like it did 100 years ago, but all cleaned up and restored. New buildings are designed to fit in with the historic look, and some of the bland downtown buildings that were built in the 70s are being demolished to be replaced with new that have more exterior historical interest.

Idaho Falls has been a hub city for a very long time and the downtown was full of nice old hotels. These are being converted into downtown apartments that are fully overhauled inside and out. The Bonneville Hotel is one in particular; it was one of the best for decades, then gradually slipped into decay until a fire that destroyed a portion of it closed it for about 10 years.
The new owners have almost finished a complete renewal, and it's now as beautiful as ever. So are several others that have been completed.

Downtown living does have a lot of advantages here. A person can still walk or ride a bike to get anything they need in the streets that surround our downtown. Except for seeing a movie. All our movie theaters are now on the opposite side of town, consolidated into one big complex.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:05 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Idaho Falls chose a similar path to urban downtown renewal as Caldwells, but our downtown buildings were, in general, in much better condition, so fewer were demolished.

The big deal here in our downtown is to let the old show. The old buildings are being stripped of the false fronts that covered up all the old architectural elements. Beginning in the early 50s, owners covered them up with new steel siding in an attempt to make them look sleek and modern to better match the times.

Now, downtown Idaho Falls is increasingly looking more like it did 100 years ago, but all cleaned up and restored. New buildings are designed to fit in with the historic look, and some of the bland downtown buildings that were built in the 70s are being demolished to be replaced with new that have more exterior historical interest.

Idaho Falls has been a hub city for a very long time and the downtown was full of nice old hotels. These are being converted into downtown apartments that are fully overhauled inside and out. The Bonneville Hotel is one in particular; it was one of the best for decades, then gradually slipped into decay until a fire that destroyed a portion of it closed it for about 10 years.
The new owners have almost finished a complete renewal, and it's now as beautiful as ever. So are several others that have been completed.

Downtown living does have a lot of advantages here. A person can still walk or ride a bike to get anything they need in the streets that surround our downtown. Except for seeing a movie. All our movie theaters are now on the opposite side of town, consolidated into one big complex.
IF has lots of amenities for sure. I would expect that the weather in Caldwell maybe better depending on a person's preference as it is away from east part of Idaho.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
IF has lots of amenities for sure. I would expect that the weather in Caldwell maybe better depending on a person's preference as it is away from east part of Idaho.
It's hotter in the summer and more humid than I.F., but the winters were similar. Once a winter drops to zero and stays there, there's no place here that isn't cold. A few degrees on either side of zero doesn't change that until a person has lived here for a long time- long enough to notice.

The Treasure Valley has been called The Banana Belt for a long time. It's the only large agricultural valley in the state that grows some crops.

But Lewiston is probably the warmest city in the state, as it lies at sea level.

Never forget this is all relative. Idaho is a cold, high, semi-arid state from top to bottom. Our 'banana belt' is nowhere as lush or productive as some of our other states. Idaho is a state of extremes climatically.

I fully expect the changes global warming is bringing will affect Idaho much more dramatically than in other states, but I have no idea what those changes may be. Our climate has always been very unpredictable.

Amenities are largely a matter of personal preference, I think.
I'm fine here in I.F., but I've aways preferred to live in a small city over a large city. To me, any city that's 100,000 or more is large, probably too big for me to be happy in for very long.

When it comes to all the common amenities of a city; a good arts and entertainment scene, clean surroundings and neighborhoods, lots of good places to go and the rest, Boise is still very hard to beat.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-09-2021 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
It's hotter in the summer and more humid than I.F., but the winters were similar. Once a winter drops to zero and stays there, there's no place here that isn't cold. A few degrees on either side of zero doesn't change that until a person has lived here for a long time- long enough to notice.

The Treasure Valley has been called The Banana Belt for a long time. It's the only large agricultural valley in the state that grows some crops.

But Lewiston is probably the warmest city in the state, as it lies at sea level.

Never forget this is all relative. Idaho is a cold, high, semi-arid state from top to bottom. Our 'banana belt' is nowhere as lush or productive as some of our other states. Idaho is a state of extremes climatically.

I fully expect the changes global warming is bringing will affect Idaho much more dramatically than in other states, but I have no idea what those changes may be. Our climate has always been very unpredictable.

Amenities are largely a matter of personal preference, I think.
I'm fine here in I.F., but I've aways preferred to live in a small city over a large city. To me, any city that's 100,000 or more is large, probably too big for me to be happy in for very long.

When it comes to all the common amenities of a city; a good arts and entertainment scene, clean surroundings and neighborhoods, lots of good places to go and the rest, Boise is still very hard to beat.
Yes I have heard good things about the "Banana Belt" Treasure Valley.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:01 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
From an outsider's perspective, Nampa and Meridian are thought of to most people outside of Idaho as Boise suburbs -- far from being "second cities". Sort of the same way people might look at Orange County, next to LA, in California. Nobody thinks of Orange County as "California's second city".

Coeur d'Alene is heavily connected to Spokane, and the region seems to be very fluid as far as commerce, traffic, tourism. Coeur d'Alene does have a lot of state and federal offices located there, which makes it feel like an unofficial capitol for the Idaho panhandle. And people up there refer to it as "North Idaho" -- emphasizing the "North" and capitalizing it, as if it were it's own state. In many ways, this part of the state feels more like it should be joined with Eastern Washington, or western Montana, as it shares more of a "heritage" with those places than it does the rest of Idaho. From about Lewiston on up to the Canadian border.

Idaho Falls feels like a "second city" if you're just looking at the eastern side of the state. I'd say that Idaho Falls has more of a shared connection with Boise and the rest of the state, due to similar demographics and shared heritage

Last edited by apple92680; 08-10-2021 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-10-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
From an outsider's perspective, Nampa and Meridian are thought of to most people outside of Idaho as Boise suburbs -- far from being "second cities". Sort of the same way people might look at Orange County, next to LA, in California. Nobody thinks of Orange County as "California's second city".

Coeur d'Alene is heavily connected to Spokane, and the region seems to be very fluid as far as commerce, traffic, tourism. Coeur d'Alene does have a lot of state and federal offices located there, which makes it feel like an unofficial capitol for the Idaho panhandle. And people up there refer to it as "North Idaho" -- emphasizing the "North" and capitalizing it, as if it were it's own state. In many ways, this part of the state feels more like it should be joined with Eastern Washington, or western Montana, as it shares more of a "heritage" with those places than it does the rest of Idaho.

Idaho Falls feels like a "second city" if you're just looking at the eastern side of the state.
East Idaho weather might be a bit harsh for some people in comparison to Boise. It just depends on person.
More affordable housing available in East Idaho. Get more home for your $$$$

Old 08-11-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post

Coeur d'Alene is heavily connected to Spokane, and the region seems to be very fluid as far as commerce, traffic, tourism. Coeur d'Alene does have a lot of state and federal offices located there, which makes it feel like an unofficial capitol for the Idaho panhandle. And people up there refer to it as "North Idaho" -- emphasizing the "North" and capitalizing it, as if it were it's own state. In many ways, this part of the state feels more like it should be joined with Eastern Washington, or western Montana, as it shares more of a "heritage" with those places than it does the rest of Idaho. From about Lewiston on up to the Canadian border.

Idaho Falls feels like a "second city" if you're just looking at the eastern side of the state. I'd say that Idaho Falls has more of a shared connection with Boise and the rest of the state, due to similar demographics and shared heritage
I understand what you are saying. But, Nampa has always been its own city, unique economy, with a sizable historic city center. It has only been the past 10 or so years that the growth has overtaken farmland and connected the cities in the valley.

Regarding the switching states topic, it is old and redundant. The same can be said for areas of most western states. Some argue that Eastern Washington (Spokane) should become Idaho and some argue that Eastern Oregon should become Idaho. It will never happen, so it's best to focus on Idaho and it's state boundaries. I can't imaging anyone wanting to become Montana, but to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho