Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 02:57 PM

5,591 posts, read 5,037,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think no one can answer the questions posed here.

Who can foretell what Idaho is going to be like in 10 years?
That's long enough that things will change, and Idaho has always changed along with the rest of the country in times of great change.

Other times bring change more slowly sometimes. But big social changes tend to stay around and last longer in states with small populations
That 'side show crap' you mentioned may not be happening in Weiser yet, nowhereman, but in time, the fad will reach Weiser, and when it does, it could linger there for decades after it disappeared everywhere that's larger in size and less remote.

Idaho is a state that suddenly became the most popular go-to place in the region. When lots of people are moving in, they're all bringing what they like with them.
This is true. Nothing will stay the same. Change is inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowave View Post
The Owyhee's.
I have heard good things about Owyhee. Sounds like Hawaii.

Old 03-15-2021, 04:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,769,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
This is true. Nothing will stay the same. Change is inevitable.
I just wish there was a "liberal filter" to keep them from trying to alter our established way of life here. Seems Boise is the most infected but a few are floating around elsewhere it seems.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I just wish there was a "liberal filter" to keep them from trying to alter our established way of life here. Seems Boise is the most infected but a few are floating around elsewhere it seems.
You mean a liberal grinder?
I know about all of the infections as I have lived it and seen the changes too. I don't like it but I can see clearly now of places that have gone downhill over a period of time....

Old 03-16-2021, 10:55 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
You don't understand.
It has always taken both parties to establish that 'filter'. The Democrats have always been the smaller of the two, but not always the weaker, and until outsiders began arriving in large numbers, natives preferred the legislature to always be split between the parties. If the Governor was Republican, the Legislature was Democratic.
Or vice-versa.
It brought about the balanced approach you like so much, along with every other newcomer. Every time Idaho tips too far toward conservatism, the state begins to fall apart once the internal conservative in-fighting begins. For every conservative moderate, there's a conservative extremist. For every conservative extremist, there's always a far-right extremist who's at the bitter end of the conservative scale.

That's partly why even Idaho liberals are conservative when compared to their fellows farther east. Conservatism is baked into this soil. It's the easiest thing in the world to pick up after living here a few years.

It's also the easiest thing to corrupt itself once it's too overwhelmingly popular in our citizenry.

Moderation means that part of the time, some conservative will be unhappy and some liberal will. That sometimes, people don't want guns going off all around them all the time, no matter how conservative that is.

Moderation means a lot of different things here, but its how Idahoans have always liked those things to happen. No one gets over-rewarded and no one gets over-penalized.

It worked quite well for about 75 years too. Until outsiders began discovering Idaho actually had more than only potatoes going on here. That's when things began to change. To the worse, by the way lots of natives think.

Old 03-16-2021, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 7,776 times
Quote:
You don't understand.
It has always taken both parties to establish that 'filter'. The Democrats have always been the smaller of the two, but not always the weaker, and until outsiders began arriving in large numbers, natives preferred the legislature to always be split between the parties. If the Governor was Republican, the Legislature was Democratic.
Or vice-versa.
It brought about the balanced approach you like so much, along with every other newcomer. Every time Idaho tips too far toward conservatism, the state begins to fall apart once the internal conservative in-fighting begins. For every conservative moderate, there's a conservative extremist. For every conservative extremist, there's always a far-right extremist who's at the bitter end of the conservative scale.

That's partly why even Idaho liberals are conservative when compared to their fellows farther east. Conservatism is baked into this soil. It's the easiest thing in the world to pick up after living here a few years.

It's also the easiest thing to corrupt itself once it's too overwhelmingly popular in our citizenry.

Moderation means that part of the time, some conservative will be unhappy and some liberal will. That sometimes, people don't want guns going off all around them all the time, no matter how conservative that is.

Moderation means a lot of different things here, but its how Idahoans have always liked those things to happen. No one gets over-rewarded and no one gets over-penalized.

It worked quite well for about 75 years too. Until outsiders began discovering Idaho actually had more than only potatoes going on here. That's when things began to change. To the worse, by the way lots of natives think.
Well said! I really appreciate you're attitude. Personally, I'm more middle of the road and don't like identifying too firmly as either liberal or conservative since for to many people it leads to assumptions and sterotypes. Instead of being pigeon-holed on either one side or the other, I'd prefer people simply asked me where I stand on a particular issue so I can give an intelligent and well thought out response.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:23 PM

561 posts, read 440,666 times
Quote:
You don't understand.
Or vice-versa.

The problem isn’t liberalism, its leftism. The traditional definition of liberalism is pretty tolerant by comparison to leftists and like to have meaningful debate. Leftists, the ones from the west coast’s major cities and NYC, are what is invading states and trying to change them to their intolerant beliefs whether on purpose or subconsciously. I’ve seen it first hand in TX, NM and CO and we are starting to see this in AZ, NV and a bit in MT. Truth be told the far right aren’t app peachy keen either, they just go about their business quite a bit differently and they aren’t as militant about it. I’m more like what jmlyson said than tied to any poisonous political party on either side. The good news is not all escapees from these areas are this way and are regular folks. But I digress to avoid the political rabbit hole... Haha.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:26 PM

No politics.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:19 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
As I said before, everyone brings what they know and have lived with them when they move here.
Every single one of those things that are carried in can change Idaho from what it once was.

It isn't as simple as liberal vs. conservative either. It's big-city vs. small town, small town vs. no town at all, open wild country vs. contained tame country, one religion vs. another or several others at once, speech patterns, slang, preferred dress, expectations based on past experience, vehicle choice, and a host of other things.

They have all changed the Idaho I've known and lived in all my life. Some changes began long ago, others yesterday. Some don't last while others take over. Some are enormous, while others are quite small.

They all change Idaho. Any part of Idaho.

Nowadays, there are two Idahos- the Idaho of the mind and imagination, and the Idaho that's presently in early Spring where people are living and dying every day. The second is the real state. The first exists only in the minds of folks who aren't living here.

It ain't heaven, or the Big Rock Candy Mountain, or Wonderland. It's a big cold, dry, high state that's home to over 2 million people. Some love life here, some hate life here, and most just take it for how it comes on any given day.

Just like life is in the other 49 states. No one will arrive and find everyone is magically conservative or any of the stuff outsiders all seem to believe.
The only things that are truly exceptional here are the scenery and our altitude. Everyday life in general is very close to what every newcomer has left behind wherever they came from.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:29 PM

561 posts, read 440,666 times
Quote:
As I said before, everyone brings what they know and have lived with them when they move here.
Every single one of those things that are carried in can change Idaho from what it once was.

It isn't as simple as liberal vs. conservative either. It's big-city vs. small town, small town vs. no town at all, open wild country vs. contained tame country, one religion vs. another or several others at once, speech patterns, slang, preferred dress, expectations based on past experience, vehicle choice, and a host of other things.

They have all changed the Idaho I've known and lived in all my life. Some changes began long ago, others yesterday. Some don't last while others take over. Some are enormous, while others are quite small.

They all change Idaho. Any part of Idaho.

Nowadays, there are two Idahos- the Idaho of the mind and imagination, and the Idaho that's presently in early Spring where people are living and dying every day. The second is the real state. The first exists only in the minds of folks who aren't living here.

It ain't heaven, or the Big Rock Candy Mountain, or Wonderland. It's a big cold, dry, high state that's home to over 2 million people. Some love life here, some hate life here, and most just take it for how it comes on any given day.

Just like life is in the other 49 states. No one will arrive and find everyone is magically conservative or any of the stuff outsiders all seem to believe.
The only things that are truly exceptional here are the scenery and our altitude. Everyday life in general is very close to what every newcomer has left behind wherever they came from.
I can agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho