Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 10:50 AM

127 posts, read 140,669 times

Advertisements

Denver has more wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 01:40 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Denver is gonna have a lot more recent snow than Idaho very soon. In the next couple of days....

Old 03-25-2021, 09:23 AM

116 posts, read 124,407 times
I moved from Colorado Springs to Boise last summer. My viewpoint/experience is not a state to state comparison but more specific on those cities.

Boise gets SIGNIFICANTLY less hail and high winds than the Springs. Boise is half the altitude and the winters are milder. There's less precipitation here than in the Springs. That changes as you go north in Idaho and gain elevation. Boise gets weather events coming off of Alaska and the Pac NW and smoke from California's fires. There's also earthquakes here in Idaho. Not very common. I haven't felt any of them here in Boise.

The Springs gets more days of sunshine, but it's not a huge amount more (i.e. it's not like the Springs gets 50% more days of sunshine).

Some of the benefits Boise has to offer outside of the weather is that it's (currently) less populated, even on a state to state comparison much less the cities. There's no choke point to get around (re: I-25 construction and closing every time there's a wreck or weather event). The roads here are like BUTTER compared to the roads in Colorado. I don't know if Idaho just does a better job maintaining the roads or if it's due to the lack of snow and ice that Colorado gets. There's also no toll roads (currently).

If there's something specific, from a former Coloradan, you'd like to know feel free to let me know.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:44 AM

46 posts, read 54,791 times
I'm a CO native currently living in Monument and seriously considering ID.

Are there any areas around Boise that would be similar to Monument?
I.e., high enough to avoid the inversions and summer heat, trees, vistas, etc. but still easy to get to "the city" when necessary.

Looking to avoid liberals as much as possible since they have turned this once beautiful state into a "woke" cesspool.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:19 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post

I.e., high enough to avoid the inversions and summer heat, trees, vistas, etc. but still easy to get to "the city" when necessary.

Looking to avoid liberals as much as possible since they have turned this once beautiful state into a "woke" cesspool.
You may be looking at McCall ID to get some altitude. That is 2 hours away from Boise but not as far to the northern towns in that area (Caldwell and Nampa). Not as much on the high vistas as Monument but very scenic.

Also Idaho City; very much in mountains and closer to Boise, about 1 hour. Scenic but you are more 'in' the mountains rather than up 'on' them.

Garden Valley is a 3rd option. Similar to Idaho City but not as high up.

The trees and vegetation in the region of ID tend to be taller and less scrubby (more Nordic looking if that makes sense) than many of the trees and vegetation in CO, where things are warmer on average.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:37 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,782 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/boise...20cold%20there.

" Winters are much better in Denver. Summers are better in Boise. Both get hot, both have low humidity."

" Denver is colder. Boise has more of a Pacific Northwest climate. Winters in Boise are long and gloomy, there is very little snow "
from 2014

Old 03-31-2021, 07:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post

The idea of scenic areas in Idaho comes with very expensive real estate prices that are quickly escalating higher. Cascade and McCall area are less crowded than northern Idaho but have had extreme housing shortages for years due to shortage of skilled contractors and builders and too many people moving in (especially working more remotely now). I know a lot about the area because I almost moved there, but the housing issue was so ridiculous that I didn't consider it to be a good idea.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:50 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
You may be looking at McCall ID to get some altitude. That is 2 hours away from Boise but not as far to the northern towns in that area (Caldwell and Nampa). Not as much on the high vistas as Monument but very scenic.

Also Idaho City; very much in mountains and closer to Boise, about 1 hour. Scenic but you are more 'in' the mountains rather than up 'on' them.

Garden Valley is a 3rd option. Similar to Idaho City but not as high up.

The trees and vegetation in the region of ID tend to be taller and less scrubby (more Nordic looking if that makes sense) than many of the trees and vegetation in CO, where things are warmer on average.
What about Emmett, Payette, Parma, Weiser, New Plymouth and Nampa areas?

Old 04-02-2021, 03:58 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What about Emmett, Payette, Parma, Weiser, New Plymouth and Nampa areas?
All are at low elevation in comparison to McCall and Idaho City. Emmett, Payette, Weiser and New Plymouth are all in a line northwest of Boise near the Oregon border.
The string are all little farm towns. You missed Fruitland, which is closest to Payette.
While its been quite a while for me since I was last in the area, I think they all lie along the Payette River. Payette is the county seat of Payette County, and Weiser is the county seat of Washington County. The towns are all in one county or the other.

Ontario, Oregon lies on the other side of the river from Fruitland/Payette, and is the main shopping center for the area. When going there by the Interstate, a person actually crosses into Oregon then hangs a right in Ontario to cross the river again and back to the Idaho side, to get to Payette and on northward to Weiser.

Parma is south and off by itself, closer to Nampa, which is also off by itself to the others. Caldwell is closer to the string than Nampa.

All are hotter and more humid by far than McCall and Idaho City. They are both mountain towns that are uphill from Boise. Elevation makes a huge difference in temperature here.

Last edited by banjomike; 04-02-2021 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-02-2021, 05:23 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
All are at low elevation in comparison to McCall and Idaho City. Emmett, Payette, Weiser and New Plymouth are all in a line northwest of Boise near the Oregon border.
The string are all little farm towns. You missed Fruitland, which is closest to Payette.
While its been quite a while for me since I was last in the area, I think they all lie along the Payette River. Payette is the county seat of Payette County, and Weiser is the county seat of Washington County. The towns are all in one county or the other.

Ontario, Oregon lies on the other side of the river from Fruitland/Payette, and is the main shopping center for the area. When going there by the Interstate, a person actually crosses into Oregon then hangs a right in Ontario to cross the river again and back to the Idaho side, to get to Payette and on northward to Weiser.

Parma is south and off by itself, closer to Nampa, which is also off by itself to the others. Caldwell is closer to the string than Nampa.

All are hotter and more humid by far than McCall and Idaho City. They are both mountain towns that are uphill from Boise. Elevation makes a huge difference in temperature here.
Yes include Fruitland too.
The higher the elevation the cooler it gets?
I prefer the rural areas over the more highly populated areas (anything to get away from the traffic and traffic signs) but prefer cooler temps in 55-65 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho