Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 10:14 PM

290 posts, read 212,994 times

Advertisements

I noticed on this page of OR road conditions that chains or traction tires are required to be carried on US95 in SE OR near Basque. I have all season tires on my FWD Dodge Caravan, but would not call them traction tires. Are there checks to ensure every car is carrying the required equipment? Road camera shows clear and dry roads, yet the requirement persists. What's the reality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 02:44 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
And you can't pump your own gas! But the Oregonians are very good at telling you what you can't do. Lots of signs along the freeways.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:42 PM

551 posts, read 804,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
I noticed on this page of OR road conditions that chains or traction tires are required to be carried on US95 in SE OR near Basque. I have all season tires on my FWD Dodge Caravan, but would not call them traction tires. Are there checks to ensure every car is carrying the required equipment? Road camera shows clear and dry roads, yet the requirement persists. What's the reality?
I've done the drive between Winnemucca and Marsing quite a few times in winter. I've never seen any checkpoints along the way on the 95 to see if I was carrying chains. Most of the times I've done it in a Subaru with winter tires though. The only time I think I needed the winter tires was during a snow storm after Thanksgiving in 2019. The roads have been clear all the others times I have driven through there in winter. Best to just check the weather report and do the drive in good weather.

Old 01-22-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
I've done the drive between Winnemucca and Marsing quite a few times in winter. I've never seen any checkpoints along the way on the 95 to see if I was carrying chains. Most of the times I've done it in a Subaru with winter tires though. The only time I think I needed the winter tires was during a snow storm after Thanksgiving in 2019. The roads have been clear all the others times I have driven through there in winter. Best to just check the weather report and do the drive in good weather.
Is the Subaru with symetrical AWD same as AWD in Toyota or Mazda? All the same?

Old 01-22-2021, 05:51 PM

290 posts, read 212,994 times
Quote:
Thanks a million for your excellent and helpful answer. I just bought chains anyway- cheap insurance!

Old 01-23-2021, 10:22 AM

32,670 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
.......never seen any checkpoints along the way on the 95 to see if I was carrying chains.........

It would be rare to have an actual checkpoint. But if you get stuck in the snow and have to be towed out, I suspect that there is a large fine to be paid if you have ignored the traffic signs.

Generally, you won't see police stopping cars unless the weather is so bad that the road is actually closed.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is the Subaru with symetrical AWD same as AWD in Toyota or Mazda? All the same?
No not the same. And Subie has different designs for different cars so it all depends. 'Symmetrical' AWD' is a marketing term, BTW, not a technical term. The standard Subie full time system is actually a pretty old-school design nowadays.....If you are interested, there is this; is has some marketing in it so read with care: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...awd-work-.html

The actual implementation is different in different systems but their objective is to keep torque to all 4 wheels and avoid excessive slippage of any wheel on a slick spot; but all of them can and will probably do what most drivers need. Some cut off torque to the rear wheels in normal, non-slipping driving, for better fuel mileage. And some employ the ABS system components to help control wheel slippage to a wheel on a slick spot.

Where I have seen the more electronically controlled systems have more issues is in deep sand... but that is not likely your concern.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:51 PM

45 posts, read 44,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
... I just bought chains anyway- cheap insurance!
Maybe too late for you but good info for others.
Les Schwab tire stores used to let you return tire chains in the spring if they were unused.
Cheaper insurance.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
No not the same. And Subie has different designs for different cars so it all depends. 'Symmetrical' AWD' is a marketing term, BTW, not a technical term. The standard Subie full time system is actually a pretty old-school design nowadays.....If you are interested, there is this; is has some marketing in it so read with care: https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...awd-work-.html

The actual implementation is different in different systems but their objective is to keep torque to all 4 wheels and avoid excessive slippage of any wheel on a slick spot; but all of them can and will probably do what most drivers need. Some cut off torque to the rear wheels in normal, non-slipping driving, for better fuel mileage. And some employ the ABS system components to help control wheel slippage to a wheel on a slick spot.

Where I have seen the more electronically controlled systems have more issues is in deep sand... but that is not likely your concern.
I have heard that Subarus are very popular and used in Montana.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:11 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I have heard that Subarus are very popular and used in Montana.
Yup.
They're very popular in all the mountain west states, and have been for a very long time.

This popularity gives them some advantages; parts for them are easy to get, and more mechanics know them well. Their resale value is also quite high in the mountain west.

I own one, as does a friend of mine in Missoula. When I bought mine, I sent him a pic of it, and he sent me one of his Suby back.

We both bought Outbacks that are the same color.
When I went up for a visit later on, I got into his car once by mistake and tried to start it (I couldn't), and he got into mine by mistake and tried to start it. (his key didn't work either.)

Mine is 2 years newer, but the only easy way to tell them apart is the wheels. My wheels are fancier than his.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho