Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:15 PM

49 posts, read 81,660 times

Advertisements

Looking to buy 20+ acres in this area potentially. Remember hearing from
a rancher from down towards Cascade that Grangeville is a bit, I forget the word he used but it was a negative connotation if I recall, could have been just joking. Have been through Oroville and along 12 and it seemed real pretty and close enough to our home to get their most of the year. Looking for a recreation spot that may someday serve a retirement purpose, just want to avoid an area where crime is more than average and people are overall friendly, recluses are to be expected I know. I would bet their are some backwoods preppers, illegal hunting and all of the business you would find generally in such a rural place. But hoping to hear some positives along with the have to drive for more than the basics. I may just have to drive down and talk to some folks to see about a guy from up near CDA moving a trailer and putting up a pole building might run into leaving for a month at a time might face...

Thanks in advance
Devo

Last edited by devosays; 12-10-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 01:29 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
I don't think we have any members right now living in the general Orofino area who can answer your question. We were checking out the area years ago, and were told by locals to focus on Orofino to Kamiah, and not go as far as Kooskia. Honestly, Kooskia looked fairly run-down, last we passed through, but these things change. I would say that Grangeville doesn't sound really attractive as a retirement spot, up on the plateau. The small towns down along the Clearwater are much more attractive, IMO. But in all fairness I haven't been through in 5-6 years.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:52 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Kamiah is about 1300 folks. 1/3rd over 60 yrs old. Low income (about 20% below national average). 83% white, 7% native. Low reported crime rates.

Kooskia, half that size, a little older, a little more "white", low crime but a bit higher than Kamiah. Average home price was around $243k in fall 2019 compared to $177k in Kamiah. Is there a difference in land prices? I dunno. Maybe Kooskia on average has more or better land per property. But Kooskia is 40% below national average on reported income. Hmm...

Orofino, 3000 people. Only 17% over 60. 3% native. Home prices and income at Kamiah level. A bit higher than national average on property crime but better than average on violent crime.

Grangeville, 3200 people. 28% over 60. 1% native. Very safe. Average home price $200k. Family income only 10% below national average. Over 50 inches of snow per year. May vary be exact location. More than in the lower valley.

Winchester, 300 people. 40% over 60. 20% LDS. 4% native. Very safe.

In general area is relatively safe but vacant property probably needs a neighbor's eyes & ears and security devices.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-13-2020 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-13-2020, 09:22 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
My friend who lives in Grangeville says they get lots of snow and ice on roads. Very windy and cold where they are located just outside the town of Grangeville in the rural part where the homes have acreage.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:46 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Big counties, small populations tend to mean small local road budgets and big road desires. Private roads are a partial answer to some needs at major cost. But indirect routes and limited maintaince funds are generslly also part of the reality.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:58 PM

49 posts, read 81,660 times
Thanks for the information everyone. I will do some drives down here over the next few months.

I noticed my spell check changed the name to Oroville, instead of Orofino. jeez what a dope, sorry to anyone who lives their. I couldn’t edit it for some reason...

Appreciate the feedback!

Old 12-15-2020, 05:29 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devosays View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. I will do some drives down here over the next few months.

I noticed my spell check changed the name to Oroville, instead of Orofino. jeez what a dope, sorry to anyone who lives their. I couldn’t edit it for some reason...

Appreciate the feedback!
Orofino is the home of Idaho's northern mental hospital. (There are two; the southern one is located in Blackfoot).

I don't know if its still true, but for many years, Orofino High's teams were called The Maniacs.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Orofino is the home of Idaho's northern mental hospital. (There are two; the southern one is located in Blackfoot).

I don't know if its still true, but for many years, Orofino High's teams were called The Maniacs.
Because of these mental hospitals are there higher incidents of problems in northern Idaho or Southern Idaho in Blackfoot of the communities in close proximately to these two hospitals?

Old 12-17-2020, 12:18 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Because of these mental hospitals are there higher incidents of problems in northern Idaho or Southern Idaho in Blackfoot of the communities in close proximately to these two hospitals?
Are you referring to the towns the hospitals are in?
If so, I don't think so.

The state hospitals aren't like they once were at all. The entire system of caring for those with mental problems has changed radically, and the hospitals' role have changed along with the other changes.

I can't say much about Orofino, but there's very little in the news about the hospital in Blackfoot any more, and there hasn't been much for decades.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Are you referring to the towns the hospitals are in?
If so, I don't think so.

The state hospitals aren't like they once were at all. The entire system of caring for those with mental problems has changed radically, and the hospitals' role have changed along with the other changes.

I can't say much about Orofino, but there's very little in the news about the hospital in Blackfoot any more, and there hasn't been much for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho