Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 1,846 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I will be making a trip around the end of November from Seattle to Bozeman Montana. I think my safest bet is to move through Portland on I5 to I84 into Boise then follow I86 which turns into I15 through West Yellowstone. I'm trying to avoid as many mountain passes as possible. With inclement weather upon us I'm not sure what the safest route is to take. Please help out with more information on how to make my trip safe and avoid those mountain passes, if there is a way?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,821,628 times
I'd just take I-90 all the way. There are no particularly high passes. Lookout Pass near Idaho / Montana border is only 4700 feet. Monida Pass on I-15 is 6900 feet.

I also don't like the circular crawl up Emigrant / Cabbage Hill on I-84 between Pendleton and La Grande Oregon. Look it up.

The route you mentioned is way longer. I-15 has very limited services / lower traffic. Help probably would be less available than I-90.

The most difficult driving will be from Bozeman to Big Sky. Do you have 4wd or AWD? Snow tires on?

Early forecast: https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/bi...weather/339257

Winds and wind gusts will make it feel colder. Sunday night Nov. 29 the "real feel" is down to -21.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-22-2020 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 01:07 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Not the route I would take. It's a really round-about way. According to Google Maps, your route will take 16h49m and 1,079 miles.

From Seattle to Bozeman, I'd just stick with Interstate 90 the whole way. Google Maps show that route taking 10h5m and 400 miles less. Being an interstate, it will be kept open in inclement weather. I think there's only five passes of note with this route, (Snoqualmie, Fourth of July, Lookout, the pass east of Missoula, and the pass east of Butte, which you'll do either route).

[mod note] Moved to the general Idaho forum instead of the Boise forum. More appropriate there. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-22-2020, 01:27 PM

If Snoqualmie Pass is a problem, go Portland to I-84 and then back to I-90 going north thru the Tri-Cities area.

Right now the forecast for Snoqualmie Pasa is quite favorable compared to what it could be.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/sn...weather/351377

Or possibly fly / shuttle in.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:41 PM

I appreciate all the replies! My brother mentioned taking I90 as the safest route. My fears have been subsided and I appreciate the feedback! I have a honda crv lx 2wd, with snow tires, hopefully that makes it easier for more replies.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:43 PM

Sorry, I have an AWD CRV HONDA, with snow tires! My bad!

Old 10-22-2020, 01:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisbelden View Post
Sorry, I have an AWD CRV HONDA, with snow tires! My bad!
A snow vehicle! Unless you're towing something (heavy), I90 all the way.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-22-2020, 01:56 PM

Lookout Pass forecast to be normal / bad most of that time. 3-5 inches per day / night.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lo...ther/85045_poi

Keep an eye on the forecast. Evaluate options. Drive in daylight / good conditions. Time out when to travel to hit passes at best times. Get a motel before it gets bad and they are all gone. If real bad, canceling may be an option to consider.

Me, I don't do discretionary major drives in winter conditions. Some I had to take were pretty tough.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-22-2020 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 08:55 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Here is an alternative: You can bypass the Lookout Pass as well as Fourth of July by going 200 along Lake Pend Oreille and the Clark Fork River all the way to 93 in Montana, and hook up with 90 in Missoula. No passes at all. BUT 200 is a 2-lane road, and black ice is a risk. Plus, daylight is scarce in late November, and there may be animals on the road. And getting up to 200 from 90 on 95 adds another hour. So it all depends on one's priorities.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:57 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisbelden View Post
I appreciate all the replies! My brother mentioned taking I90 as the safest route. My fears have been subsided and I appreciate the feedback! I have a honda crv lx 2wd, with snow tires, hopefully that makes it easier for more replies.
Take I-90, and get off at 4 corners, the exit that goes into Belgrade instead of Bozeman.
Head straight and take no turns, and you're on your way to Big Sky.

Once you're in the Gallatin Canyon, which is only a few miles from 4 corners, you will have to drive slow and careful. The canyon doesn't get enough sunlight to melt snow, so the roadway is always slick in the winters.

If you go into a uncontrolled skid there's no place for you to go except the river on one side and a rock wall on the other. FWD And snow tires will get you there, but don't get in a hurry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho