Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 12:44 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,332,744 times

Advertisements

Anyone know Idaho's current mandates as of Stage 4 for Vets offices?

Is an owner allowed inside when their pet is getting looked at by the doctor?

I'm finding different opinions and can't seem to find concrete evidence to prove either way.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 01:07 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
It might be up to the vet.

They are, after all, medical doctors and are likely to be more aware of sanitation and contagion.

My suggestion is to phone your vet and ask what their procedure is.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 09-24-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 09-24-2020, 01:17 PM

29,230 posts, read 22,482,021 times
I'll let you know pretty soon. I'm planning to take my dog in for some overdue boosters and a general exam.

Hopefully, it will happen before the end of the month.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:32 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,820,483 times
Took one of my pups in the other week. Northwoods in Athol. Came highly recommended.

They had a sign on the door asking everyone to wear a mask. One of the two receptionists had a mask on. The pup and I went into the examining room. The vet had a mask, but said I didn't need to wear one if I didn't want to, (I took my mask off to demonstrate the panting behavior of my dog).

So . . . best to ask before going. Bring a mask in case they want you to wear one.

In practice, even though most business establishments have a sign on the door requiring masks, my guess is that about half the patrons are maskless. Our health district has mandated masks, but the directive is widely ignored. This is in North Idaho, (Panhandle Health District).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,332,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Took one of my pups in the other week. Northwoods in Athol. Came highly recommended.

They had a sign on the door asking everyone to wear a mask. One of the two receptionists had a mask on. The pup and I went into the examining room. The vet had a mask, but said I didn't need to wear one if I didn't want to, (I took my mask off to demonstrate the panting behavior of my dog).

So . . . best to ask before going. Bring a mask in case they want you to wear one.

In practice, even though most business establishments have a sign on the door requiring masks, my guess is that about half the patrons are maskless. Our health district has mandated masks, but the directive is widely ignored. This is in North Idaho, (Panhandle Health District).

Right on their website though

https://www.northwoodsvethospital.com/covid19-updates/

Said only pets inside

Old 09-24-2020, 01:53 PM

6,368 posts, read 7,820,483 times
I went in about a week ago. Might be a new policy. I think they did have a sign saying only one customer inside at a time. I went in and waited on the other side of the room until the reception desk was clear. Then approached and checked in. Went to wait on a bench for a few minutes before being called into an examining room. Both Julia and Gaius, (my pups), and I went into the room. Vet came a few minutes later.

Upon exit, I needed to pay. There were about three people in the reception area with their pets. Didn't seem to be an issue and nobody was freaking out.

How can they expect a pet to communicate with the vet to discuss their issue? Seems a weird policy. Personally, I wouldn't use them if I couldn't be with my dog. They know me and know that I will protect them.

Good luck. You just might go and 'play it by ear'. Remember, that's Athol. It's pretty out of the way and semi-isolated. The signage just might be 'political cover'.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-24-2020, 02:08 PM

26 posts, read 25,835 times
My vet you call when you get there and wait in the car, they come out and get the animal but you can go in if you want.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,026,998 times
I think it depends on the vet and perhaps the location. For example, as far as I know masks are still mandated in Kootenai county, so unless the vet is willing to let it slide I'd expect all vets there to require masks.

Here in Bonner county we had our dog into the vet (North Idaho Animal Hospital) for his annual checkup/shots, and they required masks.

Frankly, I think it's a problem. Many dogs do not react well to people wearing masks, especially those they do not know. Facial expressions are one of the queues dogs use to judge people and their intentions. It was an issue for us, made worse because for some reason they decided they needed 2 techs and a vet in the exam room, and all were wearing masks.

Dave

Old 09-25-2020, 08:26 AM

31 posts, read 19,898 times
Also remember it also depends on the staff working at the vets. Some might be more vulnerable with pre-existing conditions than others.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,273,709 times
My experience is it depends on the Vet. I was taking my dogs to Bannock Animal Med in Chubbuck and had no problem sitting in the lot waiting for monthly thyroid prescription; however, end of last month I made an appointment to "bring" my dog into the vet to show her something on the skin, and was told I would have to wait in the lot, they would take the dog in, and vet would call me via the phone and talk. I just said cancel the visit.
Called Hawthorne, they set me up a week later, took the dog in, they called for all his medical records, visit went good and the vet at Hawthorne found Bannock's policy was strange. No masks required, no one had masks....

Now I go next week with the female for a blood test since I will no longer be using Hawthorne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho