Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 10:18 AM

53 posts, read 127,845 times

Advertisements

How bad is the smoke in Bonner & Boundary counties? My wife and I have a trip planned at the end of the month. I know conditions could be a lot worst or better by that time but was wondering how it looks now. We have had this trip planned for almost a year but thinking we might want to wait to next year(?). Is there a web site that would let us know up to date conditions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 10:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw366 View Post
How bad is the smoke in Bonner & Boundary counties? My wife and I have a trip planned at the end of the month. I know conditions could be a lot worst or better by that time but was wondering how it looks now. We have had this trip planned for almost a year but thinking we might want to wait to next year(?). Is there a web site that would let us know up to date conditions?
An application I just downloaded yesterday to my iPhone is called "EPA AIRNow". Once installed, you add cities, (i.e., Bonners Ferry). Have no idea if the application is available for Android phones.

Smoke is supposed to blow out later this week . . . I hope. Dogs don't understand why we are not going for our lengthy walks in the forest or along the lake shore.

p.s. Just added "Bonners Ferry", and currently, it lists the "Current Air Quality" as "257 Very Unhealthy". Coeur d'Alene is currently at "212", also "Very Unhealthy".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 PM

726 posts, read 329,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw366 View Post
How bad is the smoke in Bonner & Boundary counties? ... was wondering how it looks now.
Well, right now it's bad in the Sandpoint area, but there's two weeks between now and the end of the month. The forecast for this coming Friday is "showers likely," a 70% chance. That should help quite a bit. Still, predictions are difficult, especially about the future.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:19 AM

424 posts, read 581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry_Chief View Post
Ironically, I see more people in North Idaho wearing masks now.
To be effect against smoke it would have to be equivalent to a 3M 8516 N92 mask. The mask people are wearing for protection against Covid-19 will not work. Smoke is significantly smaller and will go right through the surgical style masks.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:45 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,783,305 times
The smoke is GONE! At least most of it. Rained a bit last night and I can see the mountain again out my window.

p.s. AQI currently shows 76, (Moderate), for Coeur d'Alene with a forecast of 50, (good), tomorrow and Monday.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-19-2020 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-19-2020, 11:21 AM

726 posts, read 329,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
The smoke is GONE!

Yes! A good rain came through. For a while, the visibility didn't change, but that was apparently due to the heavy rain. Now it has passed through, I can see the other side of the lake! Wow!

Old 09-19-2020, 12:44 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
To be effect against smoke it would have to be equivalent to a 3M 8516 N92 mask. The mask people are wearing for protection against Covid-19 will not work. Smoke is significantly smaller and will go right through the surgical style masks.
Actually, the reverse is true.

The COVID virus is 60-140 nano-meters in diameter.

The composition of particulates from wildfire smoke is complex since the smallest particles tend to "clump" together. Even so, the smallest particles are about 500 nano-meters in diameter, so roughly 5 times larger than the COVID virus. These smallest smoke particles tend to clump together in sizes up to 2.5 micro-meters (2,500 nm). As a general rule wildfire smoke is characterized as Pm 2.5, meaning particulate matter less than 2.5 micro-meters in diameter.

Dave

Old 09-19-2020, 02:32 PM

424 posts, read 581,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Actually, the reverse is true.

The COVID virus is 60-140 nano-meters in diameter.

The composition of particulates from wildfire smoke is complex since the smallest particles tend to "clump" together. Even so, the smallest particles are about 500 nano-meters in diameter, so roughly 5 times larger than the COVID virus. These smallest smoke particles tend to clump together in sizes up to 2.5 micro-meters (2,500 nm). As a general rule wildfire smoke is characterized as Pm 2.5, meaning particulate matter less than 2.5 micro-meters in diameter.

Dave
https://clark.wa.gov/sites/default/f..._Factsheet.pdf

Old 09-19-2020, 03:09 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
The fact sheet says nothing about the relative particle size of COVID vs. smoke.

It does say that N95 masks may filter the particulates in smoke, but not the gasses. Unless you are in close proximity to the fire, the real health risk from smoke is from the particulate matter which can damage your lung tissue. The gases dissipate quickly with distance from the fire.

Dave

Old 09-20-2020, 06:00 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
The fact sheet says nothing about the relative particle size of COVID vs. smoke.

It does say that N95 masks may filter the particulates in smoke, but not the gasses. Unless you are in close proximity to the fire, the real health risk from smoke is from the particulate matter which can damage your lung tissue. The gases dissipate quickly with distance from the fire.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho