Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times

Advertisements

yestday i buy a new car in ID, i have CA DL only.
i have 2 home, one is in CA, one is in ID, I live in CA most time,so I donot want to change my CA DL.
today I have get car plate and registration,and DMV tell me change to ID DL in 90 days.

the new car i already buy insurance in ID, i have a old car and insurance in CA.

what can i do?
i donot want change my CA DL.

thank everyone tell me the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 10:42 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Will this new car be kept at the home in ID? Then, it is proper for the car to be registered licensed in ID. Perhaps the ID DMV did not understand that you live most of the year in CA?

In looking at information on the ID DMV site, it says you can title and register a car in ID with your Social Security Number. If you do not have that or a business ID number from the IRS, then it looks like you have no way to title and register the car in ID. The following brocure is dated from 5 years ago, but it is on the ID DMV website so I assume it is correct:
https://itd.idaho.gov/wp-content/upl...quirements.pdf

Old 09-12-2020, 11:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Did they register the car OK?

People who move to Idaho have to get their license changed. My best guess is that the clerk was just informing you of that. Since you are not a legal resident of Idaho, but are a legal resident of California, you keep a California license and you vote in California and do not vote in Idaho.

That Idaho car had better be staying in Idaho and not being used in California for most of the year or California is going to want their tax paid on the car. The tax collector in California does not like California residents purchasing cars out of state in order to avoid the tax on the purchase.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:56 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenlin201610 View Post
i have 2 home, one is in CA, one is in ID, I live in CA most time,so I donot want to change my CA DL.
today I have get car plate and registration,and DMV tell me change to ID DL in 90 days.

the new car i already buy insurance in ID, i have a old car and insurance in CA.

what can i do?

You need to register your car in the state you are a resident of. If you are a California resident, then you need to register the car in California. Since you live in California most of the time, that is where you need to register your car.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:35 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenlin201610 View Post

what can i do?

Aren't your insurance rates much higher in CA?

Old 09-13-2020, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You need to register your car in the state you are a resident of. If you are a California resident, then you need to register the car in California. Since you live in California most of the time, that is where you need to register your car.
That is typically not the case. If the car is kept in ID, then ID will want it registered there. It boils down to a matter of where the vehicle 'resides' (or is garaged), and that's where taxes and fees are paid, not where the owner resides or holds a driver's license.

Old 09-13-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
That is typically not the case. If the car is kept in ID, then ID will want it registered there. It boils down to a matter of where the vehicle 'resides' (or is garaged), and that's where taxes and fees are paid, not where the owner resides or holds a driver's license.
No, both Idaho and California require that you register your car in the state that you reside in. That is the place that you spend most of your time in. Idaho has already informed the OP that there is an issue. Soon California will inform the OP that this is an issue. He will likely then end up owing California back registration and penalties. He is also likely in violation of his insurance policy. The OP is getting himself into a lot of trouble.

Quote:
Generally, your vehicle must be registered in the state where you live. That's determined by any one of the following:

Your primary residence or where you live most of the time
The address on your driver's license
Your mailing address for bills and correspondence
Where you are registered to vote
The address listed on your federal and state tax returns
Can I Register a Car in Another State_

Quote:
Can I register a car in a different state than my license?

Your car registration and license don’t need to match in eight of the 50 states. In those eight states, the only requirement is that you can prove residency in the state where you register your car. You are not obligated to register with one state over the other, and in some states, you can even have dual registration. But it’s important to know what different states require so you can be sure you’re following the law.

Your license and car registration don’t have to match in these states:

Delaware
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Massachusetts
New York
North Dakota
Pennsylvania

In all the remaining states, however, it’s a little trickier. If you’re permanently moving to one of the remaining states, you’re required to get a new driver’s license as well as new registration for your car. So your license and registration need to match each other.
Can I Register a Car in a Different State Than My License_

Quote:
What You Should Know

Registering a vehicle in a different state is illegal unless you meet one of the few exceptions

Military members, vacation homeowners, and drivers with cars out of state may qualify to have insurance in a different state

Purposefully registering a vehicle in a different state to save on car insurance is a fraud, and drivers may be dropped by their insurer or have their claims denied
Can I Register a Car in a Different State Than I Live_

Old 09-13-2020, 02:55 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
There's another problem; the insurance company regulations differ from state to state. This means some insurers aren't licensed to sell in all 50 states while others are.
So the OP may have to pay for 2 different policies from 2 different insurers.

I've run into this same trouble 3 times. Some states allow out-of-state drivers to legally drive with their home state plates and driver's licenses for the entire time they're living in the state, even if that's years and years.

Other states require a change of plates and driver's license in 90 days to drive legally.

Some states don't require sales tax payments attached to their auto licensing, while other states do. That means driving a car purchased in a no-tax state could cost the owner a couple of thousand bucks in sales tax to get the plates, even when the car was purchased elsewhere.

Some states demand the surrender of a current driver's license to obtain a new one issued by that state, while other states allow a driver to keep another state's driver's license. If the state demands surrender, there's no way around it. You cannot keep another valid license while you live in the state past 90 days.

It's really a national mess, and I wish the states could come up with something universal to all. I don't think it will ever happen, though.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No, both Idaho and California require that you register your car in the state that you reside in. That is the place that you spend most of your time in. Idaho has already informed the OP that there is an issue. Soon California will inform the OP that this is an issue. He will likely then end up owing California back registration and penalties. He is also likely in violation of his insurance policy. The OP is getting himself into a lot of trouble.

Can I Register a Car in Another State_

Can I Register a Car in a Different State Than My License_

Can I Register a Car in a Different State Than I Live_
No, the Idaho website says directly that "Out of state residents may title and register a vehicle only when the vehicle will stay in Idaho for the full year." Don't look to reach good conclusions from the unofficial online sources on legal matters; always go to the official info.

And yes on the insurances. But we do not know if the OP bought in CA or ID.

Last edited by nm9stheham; 09-13-2020 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-13-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
No, the Idaho website says directly that "Out of state residents may title and register a vehicle only when the vehicle will stay in Idaho for the full year." Don't look to reach good conclusions from the unofficial online sources on legal matters; always go to the official info.

And yes on the insurances. But we do not know if the OP bought in CA or ID.
And the DMV has already told him that he must get an Idaho driver's within 90 days. The license and registration must match each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho