Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 07:24 AM

29 posts, read 105,278 times

Advertisements

Check out Midwestern in Glendale Arizona. Popular nursing and pharmacist program here.

Less than 2 hours a way in Phoenix, you have Flagstaff which is snow, pine trees and much cooler weather. There is a ton to do here and besides this miserable summer, the 8 months of the rest of the year are gorgeous.

Good luck with your decision. Reach out if have other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 08:15 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
I heard that Boise has good nursing programs...Have you considered Boise area for your goal?
There are several in the Boise area, including Boise State and Idaho State (out of Pocatello) has a location in Meridian.

https://www.registerednursing.org/schools/boise-id/

Old 08-06-2020, 10:25 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
I’ve lived in Phoenix, Flagstaff and northern Idaho.
While I love Idaho, I would go with AZ for nursing school.
Far more options and not bad weather to worry about keeping you from getting to class.
When I was applying to nursing school at North Idaho College, there was a rule that if you missed so many days (excuse didn’t matter ) you were automatically out.
I had two young kids and we lived over an hour away so I didn’t do it. On top of possibly sick kids, There were going to be days that the drive was going to be tough.
Good thing I didn’t because one kid had mono that year and was really sick from it.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:08 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Serious advice: do not choose a college by the weather in the location. Pick the school with the best program and the best reputation.

After you get your degree and credentials, then is the time to pick a place where you would like to live.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:17 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Serious advice: do not choose a college by the weather in the location. Pick the school with the best program and the best reputation.

After you get your degree and credentials, then is the time to pick a place where you would like to live.
This is the best advice.

If all things are about equal, I would choose Phoenix over any place in Idaho to go o nursing school.
The reasons are:
- bigger city with a more diverse population. More folks in need of medicine, and with different genetics, makes for a better school to train nurses.
- large number of retirees makes more age-specific training
- Mayo Clinic. Mayo has 2 hospitals in Phoenix, and is an advanced training hospital. There is nothing in Idaho that can compare to Mayo when it comes to treating cancer and the other serious diseases.

and secondly, a better job market for nurses after graduation.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:30 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Idaho (as well as much of the nation) is in the midst of a nursing shortage, so the job market should be good.

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...c7972239a.html

https://www.idahopress.com/news/loca...5c8881d4e.html

https://nightingale.edu/blog/nursing-shortage-by-state/

Old 08-07-2020, 08:37 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
This is the best advice.

If all things are about equal, I would choose Phoenix over any place in Idaho to go o nursing school.
The reasons are:
- bigger city with a more diverse population. More folks in need of medicine, and with different genetics, makes for a better school to train nurses.
- large number of retirees makes more age-specific training
- Mayo Clinic. Mayo has 2 hospitals in Phoenix, and is an advanced training hospital. There is nothing in Idaho that can compare to Mayo when it comes to treating cancer and the other serious diseases.

and secondly, a better job market for nurses after graduation.
And since the OP spoke specifically of north Idaho, unless something has changed NIC is the only nursing program and it’s only a two year program. If you want a BS in nursing, best off in AZ. I can’t imagine NIC has a better program than any of the nursing schools in AZ even for an associates degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho