Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 06:30 PM

9 posts, read 7,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val. V View Post
Hi,
Sorry to say that we are yet another family from California looking to relocate to Idaho. I never thought I’d leave sunny San Diego but it’s so crowded and expensive here not to mention the politics; I won’t say more about that.
My concern is that I’ve never lived anywhere outside of San Diego where it is so diverse. I have two daughters that are half white but look more like me, brown. I’ve never worried about race or even thought twice about it until now. Will they be embraced in our new community? We’re looking at Meridian, Eagle, and a Cour deAlene.
Hi Val,
Definitely no problem with Hispanics, or any other race for that matter! I think that CD'A could honestly use some more diversity. However, the problem comes from people moving in from out of state; there is a lot of prejudice about that in CD'A. We're all very friendly and welcoming, but I think there's an underlying grudge of, "Oh great, more people coming in."
Just giving you fair warning! My family and I moved in 13 years ago and switched out licence plates ASAP. I don't blame you for wanting to get away from CA and wish you the best luck on your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 06:18 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveJam View Post
Hi Val,
Definitely no problem with Hispanics, or any other race for that matter! I think that CD'A could honestly use some more diversity. However, the problem comes from people moving in from out of state; there is a lot of prejudice about that in CD'A. We're all very friendly and welcoming, but I think there's an underlying grudge of, "Oh great, more people coming in."
Just giving you fair warning! My family and I moved in 13 years ago and switched out licence plates ASAP. I don't blame you for wanting to get away from CA and wish you the best luck on your search!
What kind of prejudice in CD'A

Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 PM

138 posts, read 156,156 times
Quote:
Hi,
Sorry to say that we are yet another family from California looking to relocate to Idaho. I never thought I’d leave sunny San Diego but it’s so crowded and expensive here not to mention the politics; I won’t say more about that.
My concern is that I’ve never lived anywhere outside of San Diego where it is so diverse. I have two daughters that are half white but look more like me, brown. I’ve never worried about race or even thought twice about it until now. Will they be embraced in our new community? We’re looking at Meridian, Eagle, and a Cour deAlene.
If you are a conservative Hispanic, I doubt you'd have any problem in the panhandle area. That said, if you want an area that has a higher number of Hispanics, I'd check out the west suburbs of Boise, specifically Nampa and Caldwell. That area is very conservative and also quite diverse by ID standards.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:04 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
As a Latino I lived in CDA in the 70's.

I didn't have Latino name. I didn't look Latino. I didn't have a accent.

A "new" restaurant opened in town and it was pretty popular. Everybody called it "Josie's".

Out in the Rockies people will judge you.....as you. Not where you were born, not your politics, not your skin color, but whether your a decent human being.

Pass that test and you will be fine.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 730 times
Default How was it?

Quote:
Thank you. We will be out for a visit real soon.

Hi,
How was it? Did you make the move? We have friends in a similar position with the same concerns.
Would love to hear your experiences.
Arlee

Old 07-08-2022, 01:33 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosslessstones View Post
Hi,
How was it? Did you make the move? We have friends in a similar position with the same concerns.
Arlee

Hi Arlee, welcome to C-D and the Idaho forum! The OP hasn't been active for 2 years, so it is not likely that they will read and respond to your question.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:51 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosslessstones View Post
Hi,
Arlee
Arlee, there is nothing wrong with rejuvenating an old thread/question. Have your friends post a question specific to them, or do it for them. The more info people asking questions can provide up front, then the better (and more) answers they are likely to get back. I.e., where are they moving to in Idaho, when are they moving, from where, have they visited yet, what do they like to do with free time, spouse, kids, single, type of work, do they have a job lined up or will they be looking for work, expected income, etc.? All those types of information will help people provide a much more informed answer.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:13 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Yes, but that is the politically correct answer. I have a feeling the real feelings would be more like 50-50. While that is not my opinion, I think there is still that mentality, perhaps more so in North Idaho.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:10 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Way back when that part of Idaho was known to house "Survivalists" a term in those days back in the 70's where they are rumored to train in the forests- paramilitary groups (white supremist groups) waiting for the downfall of the federal government.
Now they are referred to as "Preppers" without the negative image of the Survivalists of the 70's and 80's who were preparing for doomsday.
They may have been weeded out of CDA by the government but this was in the past. As always things are always changing with a few left.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:27 AM

159 posts, read 189,015 times
I know there isn't a problem in Boise area. We lived in Caldwell, my husband is Hispanic and they were wonderful to him. Sonny we l ft and moved to TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho