Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 03:55 PM

521 posts, read 733,830 times

Advertisements

We are moving from San Diego in August to CDA and there definitely is not as much diversity as here and we didn't notice many Hispanics there at all. Here in SD our kids are in an immersion school and learn mostly in Spanish and then we teach in English at home. I am having a hard time even finding a Spanish tutor to continue that for them but luckily many are offering online courses now. It will be a change for sure and we love everything about CDA but that was our only concern, that it is less diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
North of CdA.
The Panhandle and that whole area is beautiful.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:15 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,398 times
As others have mentioned you won't find nearly as much diversity in north Idaho as you'll find in San Diego. We moved here from the LA area 4 years ago, and aside from the climate that's probably one of the bigger differences. That said, there are Hispanics who live in the area, and I've not seen any evidence that they are not generally accepted. I don't really have any facts to back that up other than a couple anecdotal examples.

Probably the most popular Mexican restaurant in Sandpoint is Joel's. It's run by a Mexican family that by all accounts is well accepted in Bonner county. Joel himself is currently serving on the Sandpoint city council. While I don't live in Sandpoint, so I don't always follow their politics closely, from what I've seen he is one of the more reasonable council members among a group that includes some that are quite liberal.

My other example is that I serve on a local committee working on long range land use planning for Sagle. The chair is a Mexican guy who moved here from San Diego not too long ago (within the past several years). I first met him when we took a sustainable farming class together a couple years ago. From what I can tell he's had no difficulties being accepted in the area. He and his wife run a poultry processing business out of their home, and they seem to be doing well.

As others have said there are jerks everywhere. But generally speaking, I find north Idahoans to be friendly and accepting of most people.

Dave

Old 07-15-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There's a much higher Hispanic population in the south than in the north I think. It's mostly due to the big agriculture in the south here.

Right now, there are lots of spud farmers who are very unhappy with the recent border closures; there are Mexican families who have come here to work the spuds from planting to harvest, and then have gone back home for the winters. Some of these folks have been doing this for 50 years, and their farm owners have come to depend on them.

They have all made deep multi-generational friendships here too, so when they can no longer come north, it's a bad situation for both. And since they grow our food, bad for the rest of us too.
Also areas of lots of restaurants businesses and where janitorial services for buildings are needed.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
I am Mexican, look Mexican, and have been here for 8 years without any issues. Everyone is friendly, helpful and welcoming. I do find it interesting that several posters have recommended the Boise area since the "Hispanic population is higher there." Kinda contrary to the welcoming atmosphere of the North. I do not need to be surrounded by other Hispanics to feel comfortable. Friendly, respectful people is all I require. Regardless of skin color.

Anyway Boise and CDA are completely different areas. I would recommend you visit both to see what you prefer. We did and preferred the CDA area.

I will warn you though....you will not find GREAT Mexican food up here just good Mexican food. We have several spots we go to that help satisfy the craving but certainly miss being surrounded by GREAT food.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosvic View Post
I am Mexican, look Mexican, and have been here for 8 years without any issues. Everyone is friendly, helpful and welcoming. I do find it interesting that several posters have recommended the Boise area since the "Hispanic population is higher there." Kinda contrary to the welcoming atmosphere of the North. I do not need to be surrounded by other Hispanics to feel comfortable. Friendly, respectful people is all I require. Regardless of skin color.

Anyway Boise and CDA are completely different areas. I would recommend you visit both to see what you prefer. We did and preferred the CDA area.

I will warn you though....you will not find GREAT Mexican food up here just good Mexican food. We have several spots we go to that help satisfy the craving but certainly miss being surrounded by GREAT food.
Does Caldwell have the highest Hispanic population in Idaho?

Old 07-22-2020, 05:04 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosvic View Post
Carlos, are you willing to share the locations where we can find authentic, real Mexican food? I miss that too.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-22-2020, 07:25 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,398 times
I was going to mention that one of the main things we find we miss about SoCal is the wide variety of good ethnic cuisine that's available there, including Mexican food. Up here in Bonner county we only have Joel's for good Mexican food, but as good as Joel's is it's more of a taco/burrito place than a full Mexican restaurant. The other Bonner county Mexican restaurants shall remain nameless!

We realized that would be a concern for us a few years before we moved. We love to cook, so our solution was to learn some new dishes that would satisfy our cravings. Mexican, Indian, and some Asian dishes were a particular focus. Oh, and pizza, since there is no good pizza in Sandpoint itself. We have had a long tradition of having pizza every Friday, whether that's homemade or from a good pizza place.

I think those that are thinking about moving here from a more urban area should understand that while there is a reasonable foodie culture in the inland northwest, when it comes to dining out your choices will be more limited than many other areas.

I've not been there, but I understand Boise is a different place in that respect.

Plan accordingly ...

Dave

Old 07-22-2020, 07:29 PM

TRY Alfaro's.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:13 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,903,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Does Caldwell have the highest Hispanic population in Idaho?
Here is some info.

Idaho's Hispanic population outpacing total state population growth
by CBS2 News Staff|
Tuesday, July 14th 2020
https://idahonews.com/news/local/ida...-census-bureau

The OP might find these links helpful:

https://www.hispanicculturalcenter.org/

https://icha.idaho.gov/

These numbers are based on the 2017 population estimates, and have obviously increased since then.

Quote:
https://icha.idaho.gov/menus/idaho_counties.asp
Top Ten Counties by Total Hispanic Population:
•Canyon: 49,941
•Ada: 32,905
•Twin Falls: 12,235
•Bingham: 8,037
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho