Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 07:59 AM

607 posts, read 2,370,416 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, curious if anyone has moved from Northern CA and can give some feedback on towns/cities in Idaho that may have the climate or setting of the foothills of Northern CA. I know there are lots of transplants from CA so I am hoping to get some real good feedback. While I am leaving the beautiful town in Calaveras county, I just cant handle the state government and mentality that has thrived in CA for so long.
The most important factors for us would probably be in this order.
1. good schools (high school and college accessibility)
2. good healthcare
3. climate and scenery
4. sense of community
5. smaller vs larger towns ( less than 10,000)
6. employment wouldn't be a stumbling block.

I've travelled a little through Idaho and have really enjoyed the beauty of the state. Just wandering if there is a right fit for us that we should be exploring.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 612 times
Hey! We are from Stockton, and brought our grandmother here with us from Valley springs. Biggest difference is that much of Idaho gets some form of snow. To (kinda) answer your request, I would say that Grangeville reminds us of Calaveras county the most. Pretty, little tourism, home grown... Idaho as a whole is 20 years behind California in culture, so think Calaveras county 20 years ago.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:30 PM

So Grangeville would look like Farmington CA if Farmington had a town there? Or more like Copper or more like Angels Camp? Looked at some pictures to try and get a sense. Snow is not a problem. Trying to get some trees in or closely. Also looking for a little property, maybe 5-10 acres. How was the transition? Any regrets leaving NorCal? Is there a town that reminds you of a Sutter Creek, Murphy’s type town?

Thank you.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:27 PM

5,589 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Hey folks, curious if anyone has moved from Northern CA and can give some feedback on towns/cities in Idaho that may have the climate or setting of the foothills of Northern CA. I know there are lots of transplants from CA so I am hoping to get some real good feedback. While I am leaving the beautiful town in Calaveras county, I just cant handle the state government and mentality that has thrived in CA for so long.
The most important factors for us would probably be in this order.
1. good schools (high school and college accessibility)
2. good healthcare
3. climate and scenery
4. sense of community
5. smaller vs larger towns ( less than 10,000)
6. employment wouldn't be a stumbling block.

I've travelled a little through Idaho and have really enjoyed the beauty of the state. Just wandering if there is a right fit for us that we should be exploring.

Thank you
Yes I concur with you 100% State of Chaos is out of control.

I have relatives that have a home here and in Boise. We were all born and raised here when it was a better time so we have experienced the changes. They prefer Boise much better. My best friend moved from Cordelia, CA in Solano county to Grangeville, Idaho and said I would love it there.

As soon we take care of some arrangements we are out of here for sure. We have been wanting out of here for too long now. Soon the chapter will close.
I noticed that we all are leaving for the same reasons to get out of this horrid place. Yes it has got to be that bad here and now.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:47 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
So Grangeville would look like Farmington CA if Farmington had a town there? Or more like Copper or more like Angels Camp? Looked at some pictures to try and get a sense. Snow is not a problem. Trying to get some trees in or closely. Also looking for a little property, maybe 5-10 acres. How was the transition? Any regrets leaving NorCal? Is there a town that reminds you of a Sutter Creek, Murphy’s type town?

Thank you.
Grangeville is a town of about 3000 people, so it would be more like Sonora in terms of size, but it is high up on a plateau, not in the mountains, or in the trees. If you're looking for something like Copper, Angels Camp, Murphy, or Sutter Creek, you might look at St. Maries. Wallace would be closer to Murphy or Angels Camp in ambiance. I love visiting the Mother Lode country (State Route 49, on the western slope of the Sierras, the old CA Gold Country). A relative of mine restored the interior of the old hotel in Murphy in the 1970s. I don't know if it is still open, but I saw it right after the restoration, and it was a great place.

Orofino might work, too. Beautifully situated along the Clearwater River, but it is not really "in the trees." McCall is probably too cold and remote for you, but you might want to take a look at Cascade. Small towns with ambiance.

We're in SoCal, building a retirement home in the Panhandle, outside of Clark Fork. We've got 5 acres, all trees, and a mountain view. I wouldn't compare Clark Fork or the other small towns in NID with "49"towns, but Sandpoint (the nearest town with major stores) and Jackson are actually somewhat similar (IMO).

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 07-12-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 07:04 AM

The Murphys hotel has been renovated many times over the years and really gives charm to that gold rush town. Great little town as it is compact and very walkable. Has 4 seasons which makes its micro climate appealing. If there was another town like Murphys in Idaho or elsewhere that would be special.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:36 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
Quote:
....... If there was another town like Murphys in Idaho or elsewhere that would be special.

If Murphys is exactly what you want, perhaps you should stay in Murphys. Idaho is nothing like California and you can not mold Idaho into the California town that you want it to be like.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:25 AM

561 posts, read 440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If Murphys is exactly what you want, perhaps you should stay in Murphys. Idaho is nothing like California and you can not mold Idaho into the California town that you want it to be like.
^ This 100%. I want as far away from Commiefornia culture as I can get. They’ve already ruined Texas and Colorado.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:19 PM

5,589 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
^ This 100%. I want as far away from Commiefornia culture as I can get. They’ve already ruined Texas and Colorado.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:41 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Quote:
The Murphys hotel has been renovated many times over the years and really gives charm to that gold rush town. Great little town as it is compact and very walkable. Has 4 seasons which makes its micro climate appealing. If there was another town like Murphys in Idaho or elsewhere that would be special.

I have to say that while the Mother Lode towns are very special, the small, historic Idaho towns are fascinating in their own way, with their own history of mining, logging and ranching--and great historic buildings. I suggest that you come back and do some more exploring, without necessarily trying to look for a Mother Lode equivalent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho