Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:38 PM

107 posts, read 343,181 times

Advertisements

i want the scoop! the good - the bad. im planning a trip out there to do research on eventually relocating within the next few years. i've never been there but have been to tahoe and yosemite, even mariposa. the research i've done leads me to believe its gorgeous!!! we're in our 30's and looking for a quieter more "country" lifestyle. if someone has any tips on any surrounding areas that would be great too! 4 seasons, wineries, old gold rush towns, the mountains....... makes me happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 08:44 AM

78 posts, read 282,891 times
Well hello, funny to see someone on this board asking about my native stomping grounds. I was born in San Andreas and grew up in the surrounding areas of Calaveras County. I couldn't wait to get away after graduating. I still go back to visit as I have many friends still in the area of Mountain Ranch, Valley Springs, Moke Hill, San Andreas. I can also give you information on neighboring Amador and Tuolumne Counties as I have friends and family in those counties as well.
Calaveras County~ Angels Camp is a wonderful, growing community. It has seen the addition of stores and restraunts in recent years yet it still maintains a small town feel. You can have a home with some land on the outskirts of town and still have conveniences. Nearby in T.C. is Columbia, a quaint little Gold Rush Town. Murphys, Arnold and Avery are beautiful. Murphys downtown area has some quaint shops as well. You would have a chance of snow in these areas so your 4 seasons would be more likely. Also, up the mountain on HWY 4 you can ski at Bear Valley. The local winery, I'm drawing a blank on the name, is fabulous and offers many venues for a little culture. You can enjoy a latte, a nice dinner, or even a night out at the Murphy's Hotel where there is usually a band playing. Don't let the locals scare you off, they are harmless as well as the bikers that frequent this establishment. This provides a culture of another kind. LOL San Andreas is very much the way it was when I left 20 years ago. . .one grocery store, a couple of gas stations, a couple of restraunts, a hospital, and a lot of locals who want to keep it that way. I never looked back after I moved away. If you are looking for rural. . .Mountain Ranch, Sheep Ranch, West Point and Railroad Flat will give you that. Valley Springs is a bustling and growing community where most people enough a county life and make the commute to Stockton, Lodi for employment (45 min drive). There is also a nice golf course and it's very close to a couple of nearby lakes for summer boating and skiing. I hope this helps a bit. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM

wow, thanks for all the tips. i guess i would have more questions after i were to visit and see some of these little towns. what chance would i have in these small towns of starting a small lawn care business? this is the type of work i do now and would like to downsize once we move but still be able to make a living. are there enough "landscaped" properties in the area for me to find customers?

my other question would be.... why did you leave? thanks again.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
I moved to Calaveras County in 1972 and moved away and came back and moved away and came back. I'm here for good now!

There are some well developed areas of the county where lawns are the rule versus the exception (Greenhorn Creek in Angels Camp and La Contenta in Valley Springs and Saddle Creek in Copperopolis). I can appreciate thirtyish's comments, it's hard to keep the kids at home after they see the big city. And San Andreas the county seat, hasn't changed much over the past 35 years, let alone the last 20

I just love it here and if you want the 3 hour tour when you get here, give me a PM, I love showing off my county to folks.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

There are some well developed areas of the county where lawns are the rule versus the exception (Greenhorn Creek in Angels Camp and La Contenta in Valley Springs and Saddle Creek in Copperopolis).
are these places you mentioned golf course communities with private homes? or are they set up like condos? looks like some really nice scenery when i googled them! so what else.... any MUST SEE places when we arrive?

Old 01-14-2008, 06:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtyish View Post
,,The local winery, I'm drawing a blank on the name, is fabulous and offers many venues for a little culture.
Stevenot, Kautz and Black Sheep are the wineries. SnowShoe Brewery for beer. Calaveras and Tuolumne counties are rich in folk music. Many youth will move out when possible as there is litle work for them that is more than minimum wage. I had to drive to Clovis for work.

We plan on returning when I retire.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Stevenot, Kautz and Black Sheep are the wineries. SnowShoe Brewery for beer.
Actually we're up to over 20 wineries in the county and I can assure you I haven't missed one of them.

We have a bumper sticker that reads

Calaveras Makes wine, Napa makes autoparts!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:06 PM

can anyone let me know what the climate is like in calaveras cnty? are summers real hot? does snow fall vary much thru the county (elevation).... is it a colorful fall? thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 AM

32 posts, read 145,670 times
Calaveras County is known for its wineries. For information on specific wineries and pictures visit: Calaveras Wineries

There are 11 wineries located in all within walking distance of each other in the historic town of Murphys. A great restaurant in the town is V Restaurant and Bar...located on Main Street. I live about 90 minutes away love to explore the shops, go wine tastings or caving, and stay at the Dunbar House, a delightful bed and breakfast located in the downtown area.

Neighboring Amador County also has some great little towns such as Sutter Creek and Jackson....and more wineries, caves, and unique shops. If I were moving into the Sierras, I would probably select this area as it's less than an hour to Sacramento...but still rural and uncrowded.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Calaveras County is like most all of the rest of the foothill counties when it comes to weather. Snow flies above 3500 feet frequently and tends to stick above 4000 feet for the duration of the winter. A disclaimer; we just got 2 inches of snow at 2200' yesterday, but it's gone now. Springtime is GREEN GREEN GREEN and the wildflowers come out and the Chamber of Commerce and the Visitors Bureau shoot their promotional pictures. June brings the warmer weather and by July it's not uncommon to have a few days in a row above 100. The temperatures drop as the elevation increases >4000 feet it's likely to be in the 90's on the hottest days. The temperature drops at night in the foothills making it bearable. We have A/C but only turn it on a few days a year.

Calaveras County's lowest elevation is something like 350' in the west end and 7500' in the east end so if you don't like the weather in one place, you can move up or down to suit your tastes.

Fall is colorful enough but is usually short on the color displays, the aspen trees up country turn at the end of September and the oaks in the low country turn in November.

Keep asking questions and we'll keep offering answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California