Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 09:48 PM

176 posts, read 135,095 times

Advertisements

I’m moving on the 24th of August to Star Idaho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 12:03 AM

149 posts, read 175,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertariansmovingtoidaho View Post
I’m moving on the 24th of August to Star Idaho
Congratulations!
This is a good decision! In times like that it is better to be in safe state, because it is not clear what the November brings... Even if you won't like it in Star, you can move later somewhere in Idaho where you like better... We moved out of Washington state 3 years go to Idaho... We feel much safer here and we also home school... We live in Nampa.. After three years being here, I understood I miss rain and trees a lot ... We may move to the North Idaho in a year, but we sure do not regret we moved here and left behind WA.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:55 AM

5,593 posts, read 5,046,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Volo and Crow are both partly right.
There is a strong libertarian personal responsibility attitude here but there are also spots along the highway that have guard rails because they're dangerous, whether you're driving responsibly or not.

Trying to put guard rails up to protect from road danger is simply impossible to do here when a major highway follows a river in a narrow canyon for 100 miles because it's the only place a road could be built. Every mile would need a guard rail on the river side, and another on the canyon side. it would cost millions and millions to build that.
...and once built, a car that spun out of control would be slammed around by the guard rails, and end up in the middle of the road, becoming a hazard to on-coming traffic from both sides.

So a response for one accident could easily turn into a response for 2 or 3 accidents instead.

Added to that is the fact that some of these highways aren't graded in their turns well because the terrain wouldn't allow a safe gradient on the turn.

I just described a big bunch of our 2-lanes here. None of them are dangerous from stem to stern, but I can't think of a single one that does not have dangerous spots in it somewhere. The state road and bridge knows where there all are, but if a driver doesn't see a guard rail, it isn't became Idaho is negligent, nor too cheap to install one. It's because a rail can't be installed there, or if one was installed it would increase, not lessen the danger.

So it is ultimately all up to the driver. The state marks these dangerous spots with speed limit signs very well, and many show the driver what's ahead- a sharp turn, a series of small turns, or whatever.
The only way to navigate them safely is to heed the speed limit signs. Once through, there are other signs that announce the driver can return to the max legal speed limit of the road.
Those slow-down signs are all set at limits slow enough that any vehicle that's on the road, no matter how good or bad, will be able to navigate the area safely.

Under normal conditions. If there's a blizzard going on, or the road is icy, wet, or slick, then a driver may have to slow down even further. That's the personal responsibility element happening.

Even then, anyone can still skid and slide off from something sudden. Livestock on the road, wildlife crossing, a spot hail storm that turns 5 miles of highway into a roller skating rink.

The only protection a driver has for any of those things is alertness, travel at a speed slow enough for basic safety, and a good set of tires that have traction.

A slide-off isn't always a life or death thing. It can be, of course, but safe speed can cut down the danger to a better point of survivability.

I found making headway even when I can only drive safely at 25 mph is still better that sliding off the road. Once I'm off the road it is either dig out or wait for a wrecker, and all that time and effort could put me 30 miles farther on down the road instead, if I'm driving slow enough to control my outfit.

I often have a lot of cars pass me in occasions like that. I often pass them 15 miles later, when they're high-centered in a snow bank and stuck for the next 4-5 hours in the middle of nowhere.
The 20 minutes it took me to catch up to them is nothing in comparison to the time they'll be spending waiting for the wrecker to show up.

I don't mind being called a Granny at all when I'm warming my toes by the fire at home, while they are freezing theirs out in the snowbank, and still 2 hours away from their home.
It ultimately comes down to the behavior/competency of the driver who is using the car as the instrument who should be held responsible for their actions. Same thing goes with firearms. Here it is a free for all and has gone completely downhill. = DEADLY
The roadways are a gamble here with all the road debris from collisions, construction trucks losing their loads to building materials and furniture you must dodge on the highways here. The problems of roads in need of neglect and repairs in maintenance is at a all time high now. We got the worst road conditions and it doesn't have to be that way because it is all man made and not weather related.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:14 PM

176 posts, read 135,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalijaasbj View Post
Congratulations!
This is a good decision! In times like that it is better to be in safe state, because it is not clear what the November brings... Even if you won't like it in Star, you can move later somewhere in Idaho where you like better... We moved out of Washington state 3 years go to Idaho... We feel much safer here and we also home school... We live in Nampa.. After three years being here, I understood I miss rain and trees a lot ... We may move to the North Idaho in a year, but we sure do not regret we moved here and left behind WA.
Thank you! I really feel good about this decision. It almost seems like a no brainer. My husband and I are very happy to start our new lives and plant our roots. Thank you! And glad you are happy you moved to aIdaho. That’s encouraging!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: