Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 06:48 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,065,439 times

Advertisements

OP, the physical environment on your "want" list (climate, forest, acreage, etc.) can be found in many parts of Oregon, but the thought of "Portland Politics" probably turns off someone who self-identifies as a Libertarian. But Portland is not Oregon - may I suggest you look at Roseburg, OR? Much more politically conservative, maybe even more so than you will find in some parts of Idaho. Hood River, OR also has a great reputation (per World According to Briggs).

I have a friend who recently relocated to Pocatello, he loves it there, but the winters are on the "cool" side. Kudos to BanjoMike's post above, nice summary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Yup.
Politics here and throughout the Intermountain West is not what most outsiders expect it to be.

bobalink is right; easthern Oregon is nothing at all like coastal Oregon politically. Neither is eastern Washington, northern Nevada, or the Salt Lake region of Utah. All are different from the other areas of their states.

And the thing that's most to be expected is change. The entire Great Basin is growing fast, and changing just as fast.
And in very politically unpredictable ways.

I'm 5th generation Idahoan.
If anyone would have told me in 2000 that an African-born black woman who was LDS was elected to Congress as a Republican, and then was defeated by a Democrat later, in a scrubby suburb county of Salt Lake City, I would have called them crazy as a meadowlark. But it happened about 14 years later.

For well over 100 years, the thought of any of that happening was a ridiculous impossibility. That's how fast its changing out here.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 PM

176 posts, read 134,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I agree with the others; this is not a good time to move at all. Covid-19's economic devastation will continue for a long time, and I don't think recovery will be fast. When recession hits, it has always been slow to come to Idaho, but once it's here, it's always very slow to leave.

There are a lot of advantages in staying put in the place your husband is most familiar with. Since concrete is such a basic requirement in construction, any recession can open up lots of unexpected opportunities in the essential stuff.

But when the time is good, I would consider looking over Idaho Falls as a possible choice. It has always been a very business-oriented city, and one where an entrepreneur can become established. But there will always be some competition here, no matter how exotic the business is.

Idaho Falls is on hold right now due to the virus, just like every other place in the nation. But my home town has some serious prospects for some serious growth in a very sophisticated, advanced industry that's looking to move here.

As a city, I think you might find life here quite pleasant. Our surrounding scenery isn't as impressive as NID, but all the real spectacular scenery is down here. It's all just over the hill or around the bend, and I.F. is in the middle of much of it.

The entire Eastern Idaho corridor is higher and drier than NID. It all lies along the western edge of the Rockies. Idaho Falls straddles the Snake River just south of the convergence. The falls run through the heart of our downtown.
The city is bordered on the east by foothills of the Teton Range, and on the west, it opens up to the Great Snake River plain and the Arco Desert. The plain is bordered by the Lost River Range and the Sawtooths further west, and the northern border is just south of Yellowstone. The closest large city is Salt Lake, 200 mi. to the south.

Idaho Falls services a 200 mile circle around it that includes parts of Wyoming and Montana for everything. Our medical facilities are the second-largest in the state, with only Boise as the largest.

It's always slightly windy here due to the terrain and prevailing winds. But the wind makes the air very fresh and clear as well, and Idaho Falls is sunny in the winters due to the breeze. We get very few temperature inversions, grey days, or log smog here, and what we don't get is fog. Fog is so rare it's comment worthy.

But we can also get some blistering cold spells too, along with massive amounts of powder snow. Our summers are typically in the low-mid 80s, also due to our location, and always a few degrees cooler than Pocatello.

The Teton Valley is colder, though, and the winters there are longer by at least a month. Pocatello is another spot you should look over, as it's quite similar to Idaho Falls and all the other cities down here, but it lies in a more mountainous, more protected location.

Idaho is not a state for anyone who wants a mild climate. From top to bottom, the winters are cold, long, and snowy, and the summer heat can always reach 100 for extended amounts of time.

Life here is very laid-back, but if you've lived all your life in California, you could find it irritating here; we don't have the 24-hour thing going on, and in most of our smaller towns, business is still a 5-day proposition.

There are fewer things to do here than a city in California has, less entertainment, and much fewer choices in lots of things. Newcomers don't always adjust to our differences, or ever come to enjoy life here even if they do.
(My own Grandmother was one. She spent 89 of her 98 years here, but always talked about moving home to Iowa.)

I've known quite a few folks who have moved here expecting Idaho to be their perfect paradise, and have moved back to where they came from after 2 years or less. But I've also known as many who have moved, adjusted quickly, and sank deep roots here.

The only way for you to know what life here is or isn't is to make a serious plan to look the entire state over at least once, and for about a month or more.

Come expecting nothing but surprises- everything you seek can be found, but it will most often be found in the most unexpected places and ways.
Thank you for this! I really appreciate the time you took to lay out all this information. I will make a note of the locations you mentioned and research further. My husband and I are introverts. We don’t really do a whole lot here in Grass Valley as far as excitement. We prefer to be active out in nature with our kids and a few good people rather than active in the social scene. The plan is to make the move in a couple of years after my mil and fil pass on (both on the verge).Currently taking care of my elderly disabled fil full time and will be happy to move and come up for air when he passes. We have a 10 year old and a five year old and want them to have a good wholesome upbringing. The plan is now to save more money and eventually seek a rental to give us time to explore the area and find the best home/ community for our family. Once again thanks so much for your thoughtful response!

Old 07-08-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yup.
Politics here and throughout the Intermountain West is not what most outsiders expect it to be.

bobalink is right; easthern Oregon is nothing at all like coastal Oregon politically. Neither is eastern Washington, northern Nevada, or the Salt Lake region of Utah. All are different from the other areas of their states.

And the thing that's most to be expected is change. The entire Great Basin is growing fast, and changing just as fast.
And in very politically unpredictable ways.

I'm 5th generation Idahoan.
If anyone would have told me in 2000 that an African-born black woman who was LDS was elected to Congress as a Republican, and then was defeated by a Democrat later, in a scrubby suburb county of Salt Lake City, I would have called them crazy as a meadowlark. But it happened about 14 years later.

For well over 100 years, the thought of any of that happening was a ridiculous impossibility. That's how fast its changing out here.
Maybe I’m just trying to buy time? Do you think Idaho is in danger of turning purple or blue anytime soon?

Old 07-08-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
OP, the physical environment on your "want" list (climate, forest, acreage, etc.) can be found in many parts of Oregon, but the thought of "Portland Politics" probably turns off someone who self-identifies as a Libertarian. But Portland is not Oregon - may I suggest you look at Roseburg, OR? Much more politically conservative, maybe even more so than you will find in some parts of Idaho. Hood River, OR also has a great reputation (per World According to Briggs).

I have a friend who recently relocated to Pocatello, he loves it there, but the winters are on the "cool" side. Kudos to BanjoMike's post above, nice summary.
We have a few very specific needs and Oregon doesn’t work for us. The state of things in Portland does scare me, not going to lie. Idaho has everything we need, we just have to find a way to make it work. Most important things are income, freedom and community so we will live wherever we have to in Idaho as long as we can make a living.
Thanks for responding!

Old 07-08-2020, 11:37 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertariansmovingtoidaho View Post
Do you think Idaho is in danger of turning purple or blue anytime soon?
Not likely, but who really knows. Immigrants to Idaho, for the most part, are "self selecting". Meaning that it appears most of those coming are on the right of the aisle and are escaping the progressive policies of their old home state/city, (we get a huge immigrant population from Washington state, second only to California - probably larger percentage-wise).

Moscow may go purple, heavily influenced by the university. Boise may too. Another university and being the big urban center. Blaine county is reliably blue. The rest of the state will most likely remain solid red for the foreseeable future.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-09-2020, 08:35 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
Another option that might fit your desires is the Garden Valley area which is about 45 minutes to an hour north of Eagle/Boise along the Payette River. It is in the forest but typically gets deep snow in the winter. There are "subdivisions" up there and people do live there and commute to Boise for work.

The Robie Creek/Clear Creek/Wilderness Ranch area which is even closer to Boise and up Highway 21 is another option. Forests, creeks, close to the city, but that area is adding housing fast and might be $$$. It is close enough to Boise to be a suburb separated by mountains and Lucky Peak.

Both of the areas mentioned above are accessed by winding highways along creeks and rivers.

In the Treasure Valley outside of the cities, there are plenty of rural areas with trees, mainly deciduous, but they tend to be more expensive.

Politically, Boise is a blue city as most of the districts vote along the Democratic party lines. Meridian and westward are more Republican.

I have relatives over near the Lava Hot Springs/Soda Springs area in SE Idaho near Pocatello. It is a beautiful area, a mix of forests and lush valleys, rural and conservative.

You might look into the Weiser area of SW Idaho near the Oregon state line. There are forested areas near the town, it is conservative and close enough to the populated Boise area to take advantage of the "big city" amenities.

Old 07-09-2020, 09:31 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Another option that might fit your desires is the Garden Valley area which is about 45 minutes to an hour north of Eagle/Boise along the Payette River. It is in the forest but typically gets deep snow in the winter. There are "subdivisions" up there and people do live there and commute to Boise for work.
I did not know about Garden Valley. Sounds like my kind of place. If I ever tire of the awesome beauty up here in North Idaho, and when my term on the city council expires, I just may check out the town.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-09-2020, 11:15 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not likely, but who really knows. Immigrants to Idaho, for the most part, are "self selecting". Meaning that it appears most of those coming are on the right of the aisle and are escaping the progressive policies of their old home state/city, ............
Yes, idaho will change. Some incomers are fleeing progressive politics, but many incomers have chosen Idaho because they are escaping high real estate prices in their progressive home.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:36 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, idaho will change. Some incomers are fleeing progressive politics, but many incomers have chosen Idaho because they are escaping high real estate prices in their progressive home.
People are moving here for all kinds of reasons, and they're bringing their politics with them.
I'm sure the arrivals will change things here all over the state.

I'm not so sure any of the changes will be permanent. Especially any in politics. No matter what happens, Idahoans always end up being mostly center-right Republicans who'll vote for the right Democrat once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: