Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,281 times

Advertisements

Blackfoot is 40+ miles away from the place that had the 'accident'.... not a disaster. You can find plenty of info on the SL1 reactor accident. Blackfoot is a town, while Pocatello is a small city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 11:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,257,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
So combined, this would present a metro area of 250,000. However the US census does not consider this a metro area, so instead you get smaller areas. Not just the US census, not sure anyone would consider cities that are 20+ miles apart with county farmland in between as a metro area. Now if you wanted to consider IF and Ammon (pop about 15K) and maybe another city that directly borders on IF as a metro area, I could see that. Just like you could easily say that Poky and Chubbuck area a metro area considering they share a border and have a total population of about 71K. However, IF south to Poky as one metro area....NO!

It should be noted that Bannock County has had slow growth for the past couple of decades. Also Blackfoot is a small farming town in between the bigger the cities to the north and south, but increasing residential population outside of the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes, Poky is in a nice position. Close to Northern Utah, no doubt. A bit warmer than Idaho Falls, nice mountain scenery. College town. I prefer it over Idaho Falls. Cedar City is quite isolated, but offers perhaps a drier and warmer climate, although it is at relatively high elevation and is snowy in the winter.

Responding to an earlier post, Chubbuck is basically a suburb of Pocatello, though their boundaries are tightly notted together. They really shoud combine for better continuity of the area, but that is a political area that I am not knowledged of. In general, Pocatello/Chubbuck act as a similar city, with Chubbuck acting as the northern part of Pocatello.
Doubt if Chubbuck and Poky will ever join into one government entity. I guess it has been around for quite some time and no progress is ever made further than a council member in Poky talks about it. The police do interact quite closely with each other for backup and traffic control, but Poky does not patrol Chubbuck streets or vice versa. And if they do, they get their hands slapped, as I did to a Poky cop a few years ago.

Not sure what tightly notted together actually means so more on that would be nice. Even if Knotted is the key word vs. notted, I still would not understand why that would be stated. I will say there is not nice and straight border between the two cities; looks to be drawn in a bar after a hard night of slamming boilermakers. And a lot of people don't understand that some of the stores in the area off the interstate are actually in Chubbuck.

I would not say that Chubbuck acts as the northern part of Poky to any of my neighbors or friends who have lived in Chubbuck for a period of time; I don't like people swinging at me.

Last edited by f5fstop; 07-07-2020 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-07-2020, 12:47 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Doubt if Chubbuck and Poky will ever join into one government entity. I guess it has been around for quite some time and no progress is ever made further than a council member in Poky talks about it. The police do interact quite closely with each other for backup and traffic control, but Poky does not patrol Chubbuck streets or vice versa. And if they do, they get their hands slapped, as I did to a Poky cop a few years ago.

Not sure what tightly notted together actually means so more on that would be nice. Even if Knotted is the key word vs. notted, I still would not understand why that would be stated. I will say there is not nice and straight border between the two cities; looks to be drawn in a bar after a hard night of slamming boilermakers. And a lot of people don't understand that some of the stores in the area off the interstate are actually in Chubbuck.

I would not say that Chubbuck acts as the northern part of Poky to any of my neighbors or friends who have lived in Chubbuck for a period of time; I don't like people swinging at me.
Yup.
Cities in Idaho don't get swallowed up by their larger neighbors like they do in other states. They tend to keep their own identity intact even when the only division is a street.

But it does happen once in a great while. It's always the smaller of the two that makes the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho