Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 07:44 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,903,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
How does Pocatello compare to Blackfoot?

Is Blackfoot and around that area too Close to that "Atomic City"
Where they had a nuke disaster?
The Atomic City "disaster" killed one almost 60 years ago. Atomic City hardly exists today, it is just a spot on the map. Approximately 34 miles northwest of Blackfoot. To my knowledge there is no resulting hazardous conditions around this area.

Here are the city populations of the major Eastern Idaho cities:

Idaho Falls 62,000
Pocatello 57,000
Blackfoot 13,000

Going by county:

Bonneville Co. (Idaho Falls) 119,000
Bannock Co. (Pocatello) 88,000
Bingham Co. (Blackfoot) 47,000

So combined, this would present a metro area of 250,000. However the US census does not consider this a metro area, so instead you get smaller areas.

It should be noted that Bannock County has had slow growth for the past couple of decades. Also Blackfoot is a small farming town in between the bigger the cities to the north and south, but increasing residential population outside of the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 08:08 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The Atomic City "disaster" killed one almost 60 years ago. Atomic City hardly exists today, it is just a spot on the map. Approximately 34 miles northwest of Blackfoot. To my knowledge there is no resulting hazardous conditions around this area.

Here are the city populations of the major Eastern Idaho cities:

Idaho Falls 62,000
Pocatello 57,000
Blackfoot 13,000

Going by county:

Bonneville Co. (Idaho Falls) 119,000
Bannock Co. (Pocatello) 88,000
Bingham Co. (Blackfoot) 47,000

So combined, this would present a metro area of 250,000. However the US census does not consider this a metro area, so instead you get smaller areas.

It should be noted that Bannock County has had slow growth for the past couple of decades. Also Blackfoot is a small farming town in between the bigger the cities to the north and south, but increasing residential population outside of the town.
ATOMIC City 34 miles northwest of Blackfoot?

Those are big numbers or seem to be as far as numbers go for population you mention above for those cities and counties.
Maybe 5-10,000 would be better??

But then again, all the nicer homes, newer and new homes seem to be appearing in IF, Poky, Rexburg, Rigby and Blackfoot areas.

I will find out once I visit there

Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,821,628 times
This 3 county area is about 5,000 square miles. (about 70 mi. by 70 mi.) More than 100 times the area of the city of San Francisco and more than 2.7 times the size of the San Francisco-Oakland-Hayward CA metro area.

The average density is about 50 people per square mile. About 20 in Bingham county, 60 in Bonneville, 75 in Bannock. 1700 sq in Pocatello city boundaries, 2,000 in Blackfoot and 2550 in Idaho Falls. Get away from the cities and the interstate and density will fall off fast to well below the county averages. For example, rural Bannock (after subtracting Pocatello) has an average density of 27. Might be 500-1,000 in some rural subdivisions, 20-50 in others, 0-5 in many other spots (areas that are mostly national forest / BLM land). If want even fewer people and services, could look at Caribou county.

Density in full SF metro is 1900 sq. mi. 18,500 in SF itself.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-02-2020 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
ATOMIC City 34 miles northwest of Blackfoot?

Those are big numbers or seem to be as far as numbers go for population you mention above for those cities and counties.
Maybe 5-10,000 would be better??

But then again, all the nicer homes, newer and new homes seem to be appearing in IF, Poky, Rexburg, Rigby and Blackfoot areas.

I will find out once I visit there
No, my numbers are accurate and are perhaps not even what the current numbers are, as these numbers come from 2018. Anyone can look this up, apparently you have not.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:28 PM

5,588 posts, read 5,033,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
No, my numbers are accurate and are perhaps not even what the current numbers are, as these numbers come from 2018. Anyone can look this up, apparently you have not.
Need 2020 census.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 PM

You are terribly uninformed on population measurements.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:59 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Quote:
How does Pocatello compare to Blackfoot?

Is Blackfoot and around that area too Close to that "Atomic City"
Where they had a nuke disaster?
The accident had nothing to do with Atomic City. It was on the INL reservation.
One man was killed in 1960, the only detain a reactor containment building ever in the U.S.

That's what makes the death so notable. There have been many others there and throughout the industry, but none of the others have a direct connection to nuclear fuel, the big scary thing about nuclear power.

Even then, the only reason it hit the news was due to an alleged love triangle that involved 2 of the 3 men on watch. That put it into the scandal sheets of the day.

I'm surprised you even found it, as it hasn't been on the radar since before the turn of the century.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:11 PM

40 posts, read 24,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I live in Chubbuck; just north of Poky can't say I totally disagree with all that has been said. However, the big question is what do you like to do outside of your hometown?

I moved here to camp in the Rockies or in the deserts of UT/CO. So for me Poky was better place to move. If it wasn't for the camping trips I had planned, most likely I would not have moved to Idaho.
I am considering Poky as a retirement home base to snow ski, hike, ride motorcycles and mountain bike in ID, WY, NV and UT.. Also looking into Cedar City since its close proximity to Las Vegas is ideal for entertainment and the motorcycle riding in the desert is fantastic in this area. Having a local ski hill, Pebble Creek nearby, plus major ski areas within 2.5 to 3 hours away is a blessing when you can monitor the weather for deep snowfall and have quick and easy access.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndave View Post
I am considering Poky as a retirement home base to snow ski, hike, ride motorcycles and mountain bike in ID, WY, NV and UT.. Also looking into Cedar City since its close proximity to Las Vegas is ideal for entertainment and the motorcycle riding in the desert is fantastic in this area. Having a local ski hill, Pebble Creek nearby, plus major ski areas within 2.5 to 3 hours away is a blessing when you can monitor the weather for deep snowfall and have quick and easy access.
Yes, Poky is in a nice position. Close to Northern Utah, no doubt. A bit warmer than Idaho Falls, nice mountain scenery. College town. I prefer it over Idaho Falls. Cedar City is quite isolated, but offers perhaps a drier and warmer climate, although it is at relatively high elevation and is snowy in the winter.

Responding to an earlier post, Chubbuck is basically a suburb of Pocatello, though their boundaries are tightly notted together. They really shoud combine for better continuity of the area, but that is a political area that I am not knowledged of. In general, Pocatello/Chubbuck act as a similar city, with Chubbuck acting as the northern part of Pocatello.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 07-02-2020 at 11:36 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 01:32 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Between Pocatello and Cedar City, there are differences other than climate. Cedar City is a lot drier and more desert-like, while Pocatello is greener and more verdant. Pebble Creek is so close to Poky after-work skiing is possible there.

All the other fave activities would be equal to me; hiking would be a matter of whether you lie the Red Rock stuff better than Rocky Mtn. stuff.

There are differences in attitude between the 2 cities too.

The difference to me is the winters. It's not at all hard to get through an Idaho winter once you have some experience with them, and I would rather deal with a too-cold winter than a too-hot summer any old time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho