Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 11:46 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,007,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I caught the snark, so I know you weren't serious.

But for a fact, almost all troublemakers in demonstrations are home-grown.
Outsiders are always the ones who catch the blame for being agitators.

I think that's part of our tribal human nature at work.

A funny comedy could be written about rioters who take a bus to get to a riot out here that takes so long to arrive the riot is over and forgotten about.
What is a snark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 01:33 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What is a snark?
It's a state of mind. Amused sarcasm.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's a state of mind. Amused sarcasm.
Oh there is no sarcasm mean't here. I must have come across wrong in that respect.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:47 AM

202 posts, read 187,080 times
OK everyone who helped - as happens, we're now way off topic into personal/political junk, so I'll sign off here and start a new one if necessary.

OP

Old 07-06-2020, 08:55 AM

215 posts, read 258,594 times
I enjoyed reading the thread. We retired to Eagle ID 5 years ago and have yet to explore northern ID so we hope to do that later this summer in our RV.

I’d actually like more snow!

Old 07-06-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsource View Post
I enjoyed reading the thread. We retired to Eagle ID 5 years ago and have yet to explore northern ID so we hope to do that later this summer in our RV.

I’d actually like more snow!
Is this Steve?

Old 09-14-2020, 06:46 AM

202 posts, read 187,080 times
Wondering how bad the fire is I see near CDA? We have taken Ashland OR off our list due to the serious fire there presently (we were aware of risk but this really brought the point home for us).

Old 09-14-2020, 09:32 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
Wondering how bad the fire is I see near CDA? We have taken Ashland OR off our list due to the serious fire there presently (we were aware of risk but this really brought the point home for us).
Last week, we had two small fires locally, which were the first of the season. Didn't create much smoke due to the wind direction. Then Saturday the smoke from the Washington and Oregon fires blew in. It is the worst I have ever seen it. Think Los Angeles during the 50's and 60's. All outdoor activity has ceased. Like a thick fog, but it stinks mightily. It is supposed to start clearing out later today or sometime this week.

We do tend to get smoke from fires pretty much every summer, late summer. The other year, it was from fires in Canada. Due to the prevailing winds, we get a lot of smoke from Washington. Sometimes from fires here. It's a pain, but usually not too bad or lasting too long. Several weeks, maybe.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-14-2020, 09:43 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:

The air is thick and brown. I can see the house across the street, but I can't see the trees in his backyard.

I've had power off for 12 hours due to the fires, which isn't too bad, but they tend to cut the power to the main lines when they have fires with wind and sometimes power poles burn down. So it isn't just the smoke that is inconvenient.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:44 PM

783 posts, read 837,709 times
Quote:
This is a big concern for me as well. I currently live below the tree line in my community and enjoy spectacular views of the forested mountains. I have considered moving up into the forest either here or in a new community upon retirement just so I could buy a new home with mature trees already on the property and because I love mountain forest terrain.

However; forest is much more dangerous to live in when it comes to fire. The fires can become much more catastrophic and difficult to manage and can overcome a home very quickly. I have a friend who barely got out of her home in the treeline alive with her family during a forest fire here.

My property abuts a wildland mountainside, but the fuel-load is low. You can feel a little more confident in defensible space and home upgrades to mitigate the risk, plus the fires get put out more quickly without the fuel that pine trees provide to enable crowning and firestorms. You have more time to escape.

I do think Idaho is much more realistic about being able to manage the forest on your property to help mitigate the risks than CA is. Up at Lake Tahoe, you can be charged and fined for cutting any trees on your property :/

I just got back from visiting Northern ID on a big road trip and I did notice the pine looked a bit dry up there..quite a bit of brown needles on the trees...but that could be the normal Autumn shedding..not sure...also we witnessed a fire near Orofino on the forest mountainside and were concerned as we camped a few miles away...ID got that fire under control in record time...of course the rain helped as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho