Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 03:41 PM

25 posts, read 27,463 times

Advertisements

The snow here in CDA may be even worse than you think. According to the city street dept website we typically get closer to 70 inches of snow per year.

After living through four winters here I'd say they are the more accurate resource. The nice thing is it melts down fairly quickly and you typically don't have a huge amount on the ground for too long.

"Our snow-fighting challenge is a big one. The City Of Coeur d'Alene’s average snowfall is 69.8 inches per year. This is more than double that of neighboring Spokane!"

https://www.cdaid.org/613/department...now/snow-guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
Well, I think we've accepted the fact that if we were to go with CDA or Sandpoint, we'd have to become snowbirds in the process. I've been in denial and fighting it, but 42 inches of annual snow is too much for us to live with. It's the same as
Fargo, even parts of Alaska!! It's more than Chicago, and I swore I'd NEVER return to Chicago winters.

In light of that, we'll just have to figure out what winters will look like for us and how/where it will play out. I suspect we'd leave right at the 1st of the year for about 3 months at a stretch. Would love to here from anybody doing this or knows of people doing it - I'm not keen on buying a second property, esp. with all the tax breaks gone, and not interested in being an AirBNB host or long-distance landlord either. Big RV maybe? This would be new territory for us, but the appeal of escaping for 90 days to warmth is hard to argue with.

So, any snowbirds out here willing to share their experiences? (and I don't need a checklist of all the things we'll need to do to prepare our home for extended absence - those are plentiful. I want to hear how being a snowbird has worked out for you in general.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 AM

202 posts, read 186,980 times
Wulf - thanks for the additional data. We've decided that if CDA ends up being our location, we must become snowbirds and be somewhere else for a minimum of 3 months every year.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:32 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
Wulf - thanks for the additional data. We've decided that if CDA ends up being our location, we must become snowbirds and be somewhere else for a minimum of 3 months every year.
I'm just the opposite. Not retired yet, but I thrive on summer getaways to places further north to escape the heat, as well as enjoy TRUE nature. So in many ways, I'd be considered a "sunbird". I'm heading to northern Idaho next week for a relatively short vacation, and I know I'm going to love it for many reasons. Being up there in the winter wouldn't suit me very well either, but the summers are fabulous.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:38 AM

202 posts, read 186,980 times
Thats precisely what we're thinking, so whether sunbird or snowbird, thats what we want.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:44 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm just the opposite. Not retired yet, but I thrive on summer getaways to places further north to escape the heat, as well as enjoy TRUE nature. So in many ways, I'd be considered a "sunbird". I'm heading to northern Idaho next week for a relatively short vacation, and I know I'm going to love it for many reasons. Being up there in the winter wouldn't suit me very well either, but the summers are fabulous.

Have a great trip! If you get a few sunny days, consider driving from Sandpoint to the Montana border on Highway 200. Amazing scenery. Look for elk. Good luck with the weather!

Old 06-14-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Have a great trip! If you get a few sunny days, consider driving from Sandpoint to the Montana border on Highway 200. Amazing scenery. Look for elk. Good luck with the weather!
Actually, the cooler & somewhat rainy weather will be a nice change a pace for me, but the scenery & recreation are definitely tops on my list. I'm staying in Bonners Ferry, and compared to where I'm from, it'll be quite a culture shock (in a good way). No blazing sun, no heat, no red flag warnings, no congested traffic, no riots, and absolutely no reported COVID 19 cases! I'm also planning on spending a day in Canada, possibly driving up to Banff.

Old 06-14-2020, 11:08 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm also planning on spending a day in Canada, possibly driving up to Banff.
Not sure when you're coming, but as of right now, the border is still closed. Haven't heard when it will reopen.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not sure when you're coming, but as of right now, the border is still closed. Haven't heard when it will reopen.

As an alternative, drive over to the spectacular Kootenai Falls in Montana, only about 20 miles east. Maybe not even that much. And you can also explore the Kootenai Wildlife Refuge just outside of Bonners. There ought to be a million birds this time of year .

Old 06-15-2020, 04:13 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
As an alternative, drive over to the spectacular Kootenai Falls in Montana, only about 20 miles east. Maybe not even that much. And you can also explore the Kootenai Wildlife Refuge just outside of Bonners. There ought to be a million birds this time of year .
The Montana border is still closed too, though not as tightly. You can stay in Idaho, where the closure isn't as tight, but you can take a day trip in and out of Montana. You just can't stay there without a 2-week quarantine.

The thinking is kind of strange to me. If a person is infected, any day trip in and out could spread the infection just as easily as staying could, and if someone came and stayed with only one family or one individual, there would be less spread of infection than if he was confined in a motel.

But Montana has one of the lowest infections in the nation, so maybe their thinking isn't so strange.

Old 06-15-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Montana border is still closed too, though not as tightly. You can stay in Idaho, where the closure isn't as tight, but you can take a day trip in and out of Montana. You just can't stay there without a 2-week quarantine.

The thinking is kind of strange to me. If a person is infected, any day trip in and out could spread the infection just as easily as staying could, and if someone came and stayed with only one family or one individual, there would be less spread of infection than if he was confined in a motel.

But Montana has one of the lowest infections in the nation, so maybe their thinking isn't so strange.
Thanks for the tips. I'm leaving tomorrow, and the person I spoke with at the lodge where I'm staying listed some of the sights around there ... some of them were in Montana and north of the border. He gave no indication of anything being closed or restricted, but I wouldn't be surprised about the Canadian border being closed due to the COVID 19 fear. My understanding about Montana was the Governor recommended not visiting during the mitigation efforts, but the border wasn't completely closed. That was also back in April, so I hope things have eased since then. A good part of my trip will be through Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho