Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 04:32 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,753,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Do swamp coolers work in Idaho? We use them a lot here in Nevada.

We have had a cool summer here in Northern Nevada, but I have central A/C that we never use and a swamp cooler that we use in the afternoons...is it too humid to use them there?
I’m familiar with them from having lived in AZ. I’m sure they’d work because we do have low humidity, but I’ve not run across any. I wouldn’t want one because I don’t like the humidity they bring indoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,766,117 times
I lived in Utah for 24 years. During the first 10 we were in rentals with swamp coolers. They worked marginally but frankly hygienically they are far from the best way to go. They promote some bacterial and mold growth and are not what I'd call efficient. Give me a nice full Heat Pump HVAC anytime. When we built over a year ago our new home, you can bet I went with a top line Lennox and it's been great. It dropped our electric bill more than 50% compared to the Carrier we had in Utah. Keeps us nice and comfortable year around in all rooms equally and is delightfully cost effective at the same time. We're in an all electric home here in South Central Idaho not far from the Snake River where Idaho Power generates most of their electricity so our rates are very nicely low. Being a senior on SS it sure does help.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:47 PM

783 posts, read 842,826 times
Interesting. In Nevada is too dry so the humidity the swamp cooler generates is great for me and my hardwood floors. Not sure about the humidity in Idaho. I have central A/C, but dislike it. It's pricier for electricity and lowers our already low humidity. Sometimes we use it if it's unusually warm at night or there is wildfire smoke....

Old 09-18-2019, 11:55 AM

36 posts, read 25,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
That’s the worst part of a mini split. They’re ugly and easily seen.
I just saw your post, so apologies for addressing something from a month ago.

Are you aware of hidden/ recessed mini-splits? Not all ductless mini-splits have head units mounted on the wall surface.

Something like this: https://aaminisplits.com/collections...-ksie018-dir18

Old 09-24-2019, 11:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,781,715 times
Snow forecast this weekend in NID. Uugh! Much too soon. Autumn just started yesterday.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,753,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Snow forecast this weekend in NID. Uugh! Much too soon. Autumn just started yesterday.
I don’t think it means winter is here.
Just the fluctuations we have every year.
I wish we’d get autumn temps that stick around though. 72 today and that’s too warm. I’m ready for sweater and boots weather.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:48 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,400,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not to worry. It won't stick. September snow is like May snow; it happens, but it never lasts for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: