Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 PM

130 posts, read 428,750 times

Advertisements

You state you've come from a family of hunters who ate off their targets. Exactly my point, you won't eat wolf.

Where exactly did I say what they hunted and why? It seems to me that this is an inference you drew to support your argument. And just because what I have to say doesn't interest you, doesn't make it 'inane'. Someone might be interested in it, as there was a point to it.

This is not a good way to debate. And since we can't seem to debate accurately, I really am done with this subject, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 PM

873 posts, read 1,589,363 times
"all the men in my family hunted, it was not done out of anger........." then you go on with more hunting diatribe and ........."while the meat fed the local villagers."

That's where. Did your family trophy kill? If yes, then frankly I think it's sick.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
Back about page three, I tried to make the point that, as modern man created the game imbalance by killing of the apex predators which let the herbivores (elk and cattle) over graze the ecosystem with subsequent reduced carrying capacity and starvation, we have a responsibility to try and restore the balance. In smaller words- fix it.

The fundamental problem is that nature is not stable. Herbivore herds expand until starvation. Then the predator packs increase given the easier hunting of the weakened herbivores until they kill off too many elk, then the survival rate of wolf cubs drops until the number of elk, given a recovered ecosystem, increases enough to support more wolves. Then the next oscillation of the interconnected species populations starts all over.

Apparently we have tried to do so by reintroducing wolves to the ecosystem. Also, apparently these critters think they landed in heaven and are, give a huge herd of food animals, also multiplying beyond the carrying capacity of the ecosystem for wolves. Also, again, we have the responsibility to fix it. Even if this means killing enough wolves, or somehow reducing their surviving to reproduction rate, low enough to have enough wolves to keep the elk population at a sustainable lever and the same for the wolves.

I think that controlled hunting of both elk and wolves is needed until the population oscillations are dampened enough to keep both populations healthy. On a pragmatic level the sales of hunting licenses could help pay for the ecosystem management. The presence of hunters, the skilled and the sports, usually adds substantial cash to the local human economy.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,751,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Apparently we have tried to do so by reintroducing wolves to the ecosystem. Also, apparently these critters think they landed in heaven and are, give a huge herd of food animals, also multiplying beyond the carrying capacity of the ecosystem for wolves. Also, again, we have the responsibility to fix it..
You made this point but what you're missing here is that a lot of people don't believe this is happening and their experiences and the scientific community backs this up. Read the article posted 2 pages ago linked by Lperkins.
It appears to me that the people who think there is a problem with the wolves all have an agenda, usually "sportsmen".

"One of the main motivators behind the effort to remove wolves from the endangered species list in the West is the assumption that they are largely responsible for noticeable elk herd reductions," Nelson said. "If that's true, then wolves are therefore linked to decreased hunter success rates, and therefore linked to decreased hunting tourism dollars. Vucetich's findings will be viewed as surprising because so many people are invested in the claim that wolves are responsible for elk herd reductions. Though they probably won't change their minds given this one study, it certainly does muddy the waters."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0108224832.htm

Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 AM

130 posts, read 428,750 times
An interesting article to read with an open mind.

Study: Wolves Alter Elk Breeding Pattern, Yellowstone Wolves Brings Changes in Elk Breeding Patterns, Study Concludes - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/17/ap/tech/mainD8NB4E7G0.shtml - broken link)

Old 10-13-2008, 10:22 PM

97 posts, read 220,366 times
Having read all the posts here, it is the SAME opinions repeated on any forum on the web, that discusses the 'wolf'.
My observation...there are always two sides taken. Those that want to protect the cute wild dog, and those that want to manage the mangy critter.
It is obvious where some of you fit in.

I believe the reintroduction was/is a blunder. In hindsight, it should have been a better plan.
You must understand the natural instinct of a wolf.
First, he is a killer.
Second, he is nomadic because he is terratorial.

The feds put him in Yellowstone (National Park) aka Federal Property
He didn't stay put. He has migrated to Idaho Wyoming Montana Utah Colorado maybe more. Now he has become a problem for those states that didn't want him to begin with.
Like it or not, he will have to be managed, just like everything else in the ecosystem.
I would like to see one in the 'wilds' of Yellowstone, but I like seeing the elk, too.
There will have to be a balance, but not 'natures' way. Just won't work.
You can get all worked up over it, or just get it thru your head that there needs to be give & take from both sides.

Don't you people have firewood to chop? winter's a comin

Old 10-13-2008, 11:32 PM

873 posts, read 1,589,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outnabout View Post
Having read all the posts here, it is the SAME opinions repeated on any forum on the web, that discusses the 'wolf'.
My observation...there are always two sides taken. Those that want to protect the cute wild dog, and those that want to manage the mangy critter.
It is obvious where some of you fit in.

I believe the reintroduction was/is a blunder. In hindsight, it should have been a better plan.
You must understand the natural instinct of a wolf.
First, he is a killer.
Second, he is nomadic because he is terratorial.

The feds put him in Yellowstone (National Park) aka Federal Property
He didn't stay put. He has migrated to Idaho Wyoming Montana Utah Colorado maybe more. Now he has become a problem for those states that didn't want him to begin with.
Like it or not, he will have to be managed, just like everything else in the ecosystem.
I would like to see one in the 'wilds' of Yellowstone, but I like seeing the elk, too.
There will have to be a balance, but not 'natures' way. Just won't work.
You can get all worked up over it, or just get it thru your head that there needs to be give & take from both sides.

Don't you people have firewood to chop? winter's a comin
Seein's as how the last post was about 3 or 4 weeks ago, I'd have to suggest you've chopped enough firewood for all of us.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 PM

52 posts, read 163,733 times
To me its more about controlling the people of the West than reintroducing wolves here. I think that its weird that people want wolves and Grizzly bears behind every bush. Also, I want to add that at least in South East Idaho at least they were naturally or illegally planted and was making a comeback on their own.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,787 times
I live in Idaho in wolf country. Most of you have no clue what is going on. I have been stalked by wolves while on horse back. It is a very spooky experience. Most of you would change your opinion after an experience like that. I don't have livestock. I do enjoy the outdoors, but would be very nervous about taking my children out after my experience. Contrary to popular belief, wolves do kill for sport, they have ruined the elk herds in idaho, and they are out of control. Most of you need to leave your computer once in a while and actually go to the backcountry. You may change your opinion.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:42 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,441,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitrider View Post
I live in Idaho in wolf country. Most of you have no clue what is going on. I have been stalked by wolves while on horse back. It is a very spooky experience. Most of you would change your opinion after an experience like that. I don't have livestock. I do enjoy the outdoors, but would be very nervous about taking my children out after my experience. Contrary to popular belief, wolves do kill for sport, they have ruined the elk herds in idaho, and they are out of control. Most of you need to leave your computer once in a while and actually go to the backcountry. You may change your opinion.
We need to hear more from folks like you Summit....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho