Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times

Advertisements

I sure hope you are right, range rider!
Although I have mixed feeling about them, I still don't want them extinguished.
I've always heard stories of wolves in the Frank Church wilderness since long before it was officially protected.

Yup. I really play the banjo. I got my first one 50 years ago last month and never stopped playing. They are an excellent pastime.
I once met a young guy who worked winters at the phosphate mines in the Soda Springs area. His job all winter was to walk around the ore mill and read the temperature gauges on the big foundry style crucibles; they're kept warm all winter so they don't take weeks to re-heat when the mine opens in the spring. A real boring job, to say the least.

He decided he wanted to learn how to play the 5-string banjo without knowing a single thing about the instrument. He bought one in Pocatello, and bought a book called '1001 Fiddle Tunes'. The book is written in notation, and is a book for fiddlers, but he didn't know that. He spent the next 10 months learning how to read music, then how to play the banjo, then learned all 1001 tunes! He memorized every one of them.
It was an amazing feat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 01:10 AM

14 posts, read 43,258 times
Trapping is not deplorable. You not acknowledging the natural way nature works is deplorable. Any animal that gets killed by a hunter/trapper experiences the most humane killing available. Predators in the wild eat their prey alive, discovery channel just cuts away from the kill during this time. Here's a video of a wolf kill just for reference.
Pack Of Wolves Attack Moose And Her Baby (Long Fight) - YouTube

There is more and more evidence showing that the subspecies of wolf is different enough to alter the balance that the original wolf would provide. Wolves do belong, they help the flora and fauna grow which reverberates throughout the whole ecosystem. The wolves they released are much larger, run in huge packs, and are much more aggressive. I hunt coyotes a lot and they are comparable to wolves in that they are much much smarter than almost any other animal, that's why man's best friend are dogs. Coyotes in Nevada are so prevalent that the gov hires sharp shooters in helicopters to knock the population down, just like Alaska does to wolves in certain areas. It's going to be much harder to get rid of them then anyone knows, and as soon as they start spreading out looking for more food they will spread like wildfire. Coyotes have spread throughout all 48 states and wolves will as well. A few communities that have built large wooden structures for their children to sit in while they wait for the bus.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:03 PM

148 posts, read 501,755 times
thankfully we in idaho can have 5 wolf tags. would have taken every one of them %#*tards out. I always have a gun with me. Won't be long til a human is attacked. Maybe one of the wolf advocates would like to donate there pet for food to the wolves.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
thankfully we in idaho can have 5 wolf tags. would have taken every one of them %#*tards out. I always have a gun with me. Won't be long til a human is attacked. Maybe one of the wolf advocates would like to donate there pet for food to the wolves.
No thank you, the wolves can manage to eat their natural diet and I protect my pets and livestock as is my responsibility. I would suggest though that if people are so afraid of the wildlife in Idaho, that maybe they learn to protect their pets or move to Ohio or someplace that doesn't frighten them so much. Do you suggest that maybe we should also kill all of the grizzlies, black bears, deer and any other species that has killed a human?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM

Elk Tracks: Yellowstone Elk Population Falls, Concern Grows

Please ignore the silly Hollywood intro music this guy put in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jSxiyHPoI1g

Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
[quote=illun;28831111]Elk Tracks: Yellowstone Elk Population Falls, Concern Grows

Please ignore the silly Hollywood intro music this guy put in this video.

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is a biased group in favor of the hunting lobby so of course they will be spreading anti-wolf propaganda. I would like to see a non-biased, science based source that any wolves here came from the arctic circle as you implied before you edited your post.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM

148 posts, read 501,755 times
Grizzlies, black bear, lions are not pack animals and don't devastate like wolves. We will never agree on the wolf issue. I will protect my family and pets from any wildlife if needed. The wolf population has far exceeded the expectations of wildlife officials and are seeing what they are doing to our elk and moose. Hopefully next year the state will allow year round hunting of wolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
No thank you, the wolves can manage to eat their natural diet and I protect my pets and livestock as is my responsibility. I would suggest though that if people are so afraid of the wildlife in Idaho, that maybe they learn to protect their pets or move to Ohio or someplace that doesn't frighten them so much. Do you suggest that maybe we should also kill all of the grizzlies, black bears, deer and any other species that has killed a human?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:37 PM

332 posts, read 483,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander dave View Post
Grizzlies, black bear, lions...
Not to interrupt, but this made me think "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!"

Sorry, please continue.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM

Why don't we just ask the people who live in Northern Idaho on this thread about what they see happening with the elk herds?

Any site I post will most likely be dismissed by you because the only people covering this story are sportsmen. I deleted the arctic circle comment as soon as I remembered it was inaccurate. DNA Studies

This is an article by the Smithsonian Smithsonian

What I said in my first post was that there is more and more evidence coming out that shows that the wolf might be a different sub-species and that could be dangerous for the ungulates. What people from Idaho are saying is that since the wolves(native or not) haven't been managed, they are ravaging the elk herds.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,280,067 times
I have seen it first hand. The wolves take down perfectly healthy young elk and eat a few choice parts and leave the rest. I don't care what some pinhead politicos say the wolves are S.O.S. in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho