Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 12:13 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times

Advertisements

How about Driggs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 10:46 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
How about Driggs?
I'll put it this way... Jackson Hole got all the attention, but Driggs got the best side of the Tetons.

You can't see any of the Tetons from Jackson Hole, and I always thought it was weird because Driggs was just over the hill and has always had by far the best view.

Driggs was unknown for a very long time, too. But beginning about 20 years ago when the billionaires started moving into Jackson Hole, they drove the mere millionaires over to Driggs on the other side.

It's a very expensive little town to live in now as a result. While not as expensive as Jackson Hole, it's still hell for expensive, and rentals throughout that narrow valley are impossible to find, as Jackson employs more people that it can house, and the workers can't ever afford the enormous rents over there. So they all live in Teton, Driggs, and Victor on the Idaho side.

I actually like Victor a little better than Driggs, but it's less developed and doesn't have much in the way of conveniences there.

Driggs is the largest, and is a small service city for the others, but most shoppers come to Idaho Falls or Rexburg to buy stuff that's bigger than groceries, beer and gas. Everyone goes to Idaho Falls to see the movies and do the serious shopping.

But if you want to live in a town with major winter, Driggs is the only approach to Targhee, the mountain that always gets the most snow of all in the Teton range.
Mt. Targhee actually lies inside Wyoming, but can only be reached from the Idaho side. The Tetons lie smack dab on the border, which runs down the middle of the range.

It's very high, always quite cold at nights, and winter begins in early September and doesn't quit until the end of May.
Targhee routinely gets about 110" of snow a year, usually with a lot of powder. The 2 highways that lead to the valley are both pretty well maintained, but it's common in Driggs to be snowed in for a day or two during the big storms, and either road can be dicey in bad weather.

Driggs began as a whistle stop for loading cattle and sheep. Ranches once thrived in the Teton Valley, mostly because only hay can be grown in the short growing season. Most of them have been subdivided long ago.

Work is mighty scarce there unless you want to commute over the pass to go work in Jackson. Hundreds do it, but the pass tends to avalanche in the winter, and though I've driven it all my life, it's still sometimes too white-knuckle for me to do daily. Rock slides are about as common in the summer as avalanches are in the winter.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:29 PM

7 posts, read 19,791 times
Driggs. We moved from Ouray Colorado to Boise 8 years ago. Driggs is like Ridgway/Ouray 25 years back. We had a place in Bend Or and have lots of friends there. It has changed so much in the last 10 years. If you can deal with a Colorado type winters its the best without the crowds. North Idaho Sandpoint CDA area is amazing in the summer. But major cloud cover for months and rain. We just bought a lot there and I will start building our house next summer in Driggs. Good luck on your plans to find a place just my 2 cents

Old 09-04-2019, 07:15 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Driggs home and land/lot pricing is about like any semi-resort area in the whole region.... not nearly like Jackson or Big Sky, not as cheap as like Idaho Falls and Rexburg. Good basic shopping services as said, but big shopping in ID Falls. Moderate snow levels for that region, not huge; more than Idaho Falls, significantly more than Boise, a lot less than places like Island Park and West Yellowstone. Still plenty of agriculture going on; more to the north of Driggs. Sunnier than up in northern ID. Cooler......average altitude around 6000' + or -.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'll put it this way... Jackson Hole got all the attention, but Driggs got the best side of the Tetons.......................

first went through Driggs in June of 1972. I thought it was a real special spot......should have just stayed and said to hell with everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho