Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:50 PM

8,506 posts, read 8,825,111 times

Advertisements

Moscow might work. It depends how big you think you can go and still have "small town feel".

It is a city of 25,000 in a county of 40,000, right next to Pullman / Whitman county WA with 50,000. So combined the two and you have 90,000 people in area. Acceptable or too many?

Nampa has 90,000 in a county of 180,000 in a metro of 710,000.

Bonner County has 40,000.

I wouldn't consider any of them to quite be a simple small towns. Sandpoint by itself might be at the upper end of small town to me. These places imo are small to modest cities in small to modest metros. You might think differently. How small a small town are you coming from? More importantly for recommendations, what is your preferred city or metro size range? Specify one and / or the other and you can targeted recommendations. Until you do that, folks would be guessing, maybe in your range, maybe not.

If Mosow / Pullman is too big, do Sandpoint / Bonner. If that is too big, be prepared to give up a lot of your desired urban amenities.

If you want a true small town with a small college, hospital, etc., then maybe look at Dillon MT or Powell WY.

Or somewhat bigger, LaGrande OR. Or Caldwell ID. Or Ellensburg or Walla Walla WA. Laramie WY. Elko NV...

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-15-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:11 PM

607 posts, read 2,370,621 times
Great thoughts. I come from a county of 37,000 where the biggest towns in that county might tip 5000 people. So, small is small. What makes the towns appealing are that they have a distinct town center. Park and then walk most if not all of it. Either a home in a subdivision with big lots or homes on 1-5 acres a little further out of the subdivisions. Do like the 4 seasons, more trees for scenery than high desert, and also be within a reasonable drive to bigger shopping opportunities, medical facilities and high schools that aren't far away.

I know this list is kind of narrow, but know that these towns are out there. Just looking for specific towns to do more research on. I'm more of the attitude to embrace the new location instead of bring the old with me.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 PM

38 posts, read 44,283 times
I swear you sound just like my family. We were considering east of Sacramento and also Colorado, but something is missing for us in both those places. We are now considering Idaho. Although we think Boise area is a better fit for us due to the excellent schools and the growing tech market (husband is in tech).

Old 11-17-2018, 11:52 AM

8,506 posts, read 8,825,111 times
Sandpoint is probably the best fit for your criteria in Idaho. Fairly small, good high school, green, within range of CDA and Spokane for shopping, higher ed options for kids later, medical if more is needed.

Of the other places I mentioned, Ellensburg WA might also be worth a look. Downtown is praised.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:47 AM

3 posts, read 4,474 times
Default I could not agree more

Hello, I could not agree with you more.
Oregon has truly been ruined by the people that relocate here and bring their habits and unwillingness to assimilate with them.
I am itching to get out of here as soon as possible.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:03 PM

13 posts, read 27,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Great thoughts. I come from a county of 37,000 where the biggest towns in that county might tip 5000 people. So, small is small. What makes the towns appealing are that they have a distinct town center. Park and then walk most if not all of it. Either a home in a subdivision with big lots or homes on 1-5 acres a little further out of the subdivisions. Do like the 4 seasons, more trees for scenery than high desert, and also be within a reasonable drive to bigger shopping opportunities, medical facilities and high schools that aren't far away.

I know this list is kind of narrow, but know that these towns are out there. Just looking for specific towns to do more research on. I'm more of the attitude to embrace the new location instead of bring the old with me.
Grangeville is worth a look,
however it's a little over hour away
from major shopping in Lewiston.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:22 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,530,097 times
Which places have the coolest summers? Which places get the most rain? Where is real estate less expensive. I saw some listings in CDA on the water that looked nice but were seriously expensive -- $5-20 million. Are there other lake-river areas to consider.

I get a kick out the kook whining about California . According to tax-rates. org California and Idaho have almost the exact same property tax rates. .69 v .74 and California has the best public universities in the world under the University of California system. I live in Texas where they complain about California too, however the Houston Chronicle did a fact check and California is doing fine. When a place has such a powerful economic engine and the standard of living for the wealthy gets so high-its natural to want to move. $5,000,000 in the bank can buy a lot more almost anywhere else - I don't need to find a job so California is totally out of consideration.

Anyway back to Idaho- a place on water -not far from a town of 5000 with summers 80 degrees of below would be fine.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:50 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
I don't think you are going to find any place in Idaho with summers uder 80 degrees. Try a coastal village in Oregon and even those will have a week or so that gets over 80 degrees in the summer.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:02 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,756,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think you are going to find any place in Idaho with summers uder 80 degrees. Try a coastal village in Oregon and even those will have a week or so that gets over 80 degrees in the summer.
Good advice. We had a place in Newport, OR and a couple of summers ago it was over 100 in Portland but in the 60’s in Newport. I love the Oregon Coast.

Idaho summers get HOT...though the nights are always cool. At least in my 16 years.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:27 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Which places have the coolest summers? Which places get the most rain? Where is real estate less expensive. I saw some listings in CDA on the water that looked nice but were seriously expensive -- $5-20 million. Are there other lake-river areas to consider.

Anyway back to Idaho- a place on water -not far from a town of 5000 with summers 80 degrees of below would be fine.
A place like this would likely mean lots of winter problems. Power outages and voltage drops, road closures during and after storms, lots of snow removal around the home and private access roads, etc.

If the mid-summer temps average 80, then the spring and fall temps will be in the high 50s, and the winters will hover around zero for more days. Sometimes far below zero.

It also means more winter months.

They do exist here, and the reasons above are why the towns are typically small. If you want lots of 80º days, it's best to be prepared for a few that are in the 90s up to 100º. Unless, that is, you really like life at 55º most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho