Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times

Advertisements

..........What a sad situation that occurred at the Walmart in Hayden, ID. Prayers to the family.

Unfortunately, IMHO this will just provide some more misdirected media-hype for the "anti-firearm" groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:28 PM

414 posts, read 1,095,212 times
I hope the family is able to heal emotionally after this tragedy. Many prayers for them during this difficult time.

As far as the media, I was impressed that a few local news sources managed to stick to the facts without getting terribly caught up in the hype. Some were even respectful enough to delete the cruelest comments posted on their articles.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
There was no link to an article but how sad.

I can't help wondering how in the world a 2 year old got ahold of a loaded gun any where, but especially in a public place. Someone was very careless and it led to a tragedy.

And, no, I am not anti-gun, not at all. I'm glad the local media has been respectful.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 AM

7,380 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Here's a link.
Idaho woman accidentally shot and killed by 2-year-old in Wal-Mart | Fox News

It appears to be a sad confluence of distraction and opportunity. What a tragedy for the family, and the community.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:59 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Very sad for the family and the kid.

Just saw it on locals news 8 and they gave just the limited facts.

I'm kinda of curious as to the make and model.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:01 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
There's been a thread in the "Current Events" sub-forum, (https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-mom-dead.html), and the comments haven't been kind or sensitive to the emotional anguish of the family.

This is the NY Times article the OP posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/us...=top-news&_r=1

I pray for the young boy who now has to grow up without his mother. Let us hope that he never fully comprehends what he did.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:57 PM

88 posts, read 153,970 times
How tragic for this family and all concerned. KREM 2 news this morning was showing old video of pistols for sale in a gun store while reporting this story. I don't see the connection.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1950 View Post
How tragic for this family and all concerned. KREM 2 news this morning was showing old video of pistols for sale in a gun store while reporting this story. I don't see the connection.
Would be nice if they told us what kind of gun and was it cocked, ready to shoot. I can't see how a 2 yr old pulled the trigger.

What is worse she always carried the gun oun herself and for Christmas the husband bought her the purse. She must have assumed the 2 yr old couldn't unzip the purse.

My prayers go out to the family and may they somehow make peace with this.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:57 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Per a news report I just saw, it was a 9mm S&W MP model, which is a striker fired DAO. I believe the trigger pull on MPs are about 6 lbs, and yes, that is quite a pull for a two year old even with two fingers. (Studies done a few years ago, show only 25 percent of three year old kids could do a two-finger pull on that resistance of a trigger).

However, sometimes people have the triggers reworked for a lighter pull (sorry ladies) but usually woman who have a hard time pulling a trigger with one finger on some models. And I have seen some pretty big two-year old kids.

The model sold at any gun store I have visited does not have a safety, but there is a thumb safety model available (I've never seen one with a safety and know a few who have this model.)

Per the report, the sheriff is looking to see if there was one in the chamber (I would guess so, cannot believe a two-year old could cycle a receiver to load a round), was there a safety and was it set to safe, and possibly, did the kid grab it out of the purse and drop it, or did it accidentally fall out of the purse and discharge (very unlikely if everything was stock from the factory...modern firearms have a mechanism to block the firing pin until the trigger is pulled).

They also noted that the purse was one of those designed for carrying a concealed weapon with a separate compartment for the handgun.

I guess more info will come.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Per a news report I just saw, it was a 9mm S&W MP model, which is a striker fired DAO. I believe the trigger pull on MPs are about 6 lbs, and yes, that is quite a pull for a two year old even with two fingers. (Studies done a few years ago, show only 25 percent of three year old kids could do a two-finger pull on that resistance of a trigger).

However, sometimes people have the triggers reworked for a lighter pull (sorry ladies) but usually woman who have a hard time pulling a trigger with one finger on some models. And I have seen some pretty big two-year old kids.

The model sold at any gun store I have visited does not have a safety, but there is a thumb safety model available (I've never seen one with a safety and know a few who have this model.)

Per the report, the sheriff is looking to see if there was one in the chamber (I would guess so, cannot believe a two-year old could cycle a receiver to load a round), was there a safety and was it set to safe, and possibly, did the kid grab it out of the purse and drop it, or did it accidentally fall out of the purse and discharge (very unlikely if everything was stock from the factory...modern firearms have a mechanism to block the firing pin until the trigger is pulled).

They also noted that the purse was one of those designed for carrying a concealed weapon with a separate compartment for the handgun.

I guess more info will come.
Thanks for this info......I saw one report the child shot her in the head. Still confuses me how he was able to shoot something he didn't know. Or did he, seems the family was responsible, possibly just a freak accident.

Hear today Police Chief shoots wife, they're not saying how, as of yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho