Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Hope the horse is OK.
She's fine..looks like she's picked up some sand in her gut and is now on a one week out of every month metamucil regimen to get the sand to pass through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 PM

291 posts, read 438,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
She's fine..looks like she's picked up some sand in her gut and is now on a one week out of every month metamucil regimen to get the sand to pass through.
Good to hear.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM

551 posts, read 804,905 times
It would be ideal to have a setup like what Sage has but for those who don't, how do you handle the loss of power? My builder is going to install a transfer switch so I can at least hook up a generator and be able to pick the circuits to power like the refrigerator/freezer. I think I will give that a try and see how it works.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
It would be ideal to have a setup like what Sage has but for those who don't, how do you handle the loss of power? My builder is going to install a transfer switch so I can at least hook up a generator and be able to pick the circuits to power like the refrigerator/freezer. I think I will give that a try and see how it works.
Another thing to consider is wherhte your well pump will work without power. A generator does come in handy for that.

When we were completely off grid we never even knew when the power went out. It was quite nice.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:29 PM

332 posts, read 483,650 times
What I'm learning about the current crop of generators is that the tiny motors are ill-designed for 24/7 operation. They have insufficient cooling, incorrectly timed (too high RPM), and require regular maintenance. I'm seriously considering sourcing an older diesel generator that I can put on a trailer and add an inverter and batteries, hook it all to a controller, and have the battery bank power the house. That way I can run the generator only when the batteries need to be charged. This would have the added benefit of allowing me to add solar capacity at some point. Since I'm renting, I'm very cautious about putting any money into a permanent solution.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 PM

551 posts, read 804,905 times
Quote:
Another thing to consider is wherhte your well pump will work without power. A generator does come in handy for that.

When we were completely off grid we never even knew when the power went out. It was quite nice.
My lot doesn't have a well so I guess I lucked out there with one less thing to supply power to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
What I'm learning about the current crop of generators is that the tiny motors are ill-designed for 24/7 operation. They have insufficient cooling, incorrectly timed (too high RPM), and require regular maintenance. I'm seriously considering sourcing an older diesel generator that I can put on a trailer and add an inverter and batteries, hook it all to a controller, and have the battery bank power the house. That way I can run the generator only when the batteries need to be charged. This would have the added benefit of allowing me to add solar capacity at some point. Since I'm renting, I'm very cautious about putting any money into a permanent solution.
My brother has a couple of Honda generators which seem to work well. We ran them all day at the race track and he uses them when he goes camping with his trailer. I don't know how well they would work running 24/7 though but I would hope a power outage wouldn't usually last for over a week.
I was thinking of getting one of their 7000 watt inverter generators so I could power the water heater if the outage last more than a few hours.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:30 AM

183 posts, read 278,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
We have ours serviced once a year. It's a Generac.

Ours starts itself up every Monday at 10AM and runs for about 5-10 minutes or so I'd say (I forget exactly...I don't even pay attention any more...I just hear it start up now).

Yes, propane price has gone up, but the cost of losing EVERYTHING in our freezer and fridge would cost more. And we have a second freezer in our pantry with stuff we freeze from our garden (from all our tomato crop my wife and daughter make enough marinara and salsa to last us most of the winter, and we have enough frozen berries and other produce to last us a LONG time).

Sage.......just wanted to share a tip I got from an Onan tech. He stated to me it was advisable to put a load on the gen. during the weekly test run. (20 mins. or so) That way you are exercising your motor and the gen. itself, thus giving you a real life example of your systems health/capabilities. Thus I would turn off the electrical service at the pole and use my manual transfer switch and run every component in the house. Even with 2 A/C units,fans,dbl.ovens and so on,the most I pulled was 75 amps. My unit was a Onan 45kw w/a straight 6 Ford engine rated for 239 amps. Always worked well. Your mileage may very....just sharing the info....

Old 08-06-2014, 12:10 PM

We had a diesel, but never thought it was really any better than the gas or propane, and it was easier to keep propane so that's what we stayed with. But in the planning stages of going off grid, EVERYONE wants a diesel.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:42 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
We're managing with a little generator at our property. We had every intention to get hooked up to Northern Lights, but it turned out it would set us back $7000 for the trench alone. Hmmmm. That would buy us 2 excellent generators...So we'll be off the grid for a while yet...

Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 PM

332 posts, read 483,650 times
I found a little 5kW Onan gas generator with a trailer I'm going to look into. I think it will make a great foundation for a mobile power plant with batteries. I'm envious of those of you who have the larger units and infrastructure already in place.

Quote:
We had a diesel, but never thought it was really any better than the gas or propane, and it was easier to keep propane so that's what we stayed with. But in the planning stages of going off grid, EVERYONE wants a diesel.
I think the lure of diesel is that they can run on just about any kind of fuel like kerosene, etc, so they have a better perceived usability. I have no idea how true that is in practice however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho