Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:17 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Oh well, I really just wanted to get a feel for what everyone else does, since a large number of us don't live "in town". Gasoline / LP generators seem to be the consensus.
We have a 17Kw generator on a 400 amp automatic transfer switch, with a 250 gallon LPG tank. We started with a 120 gal tank but after one extended winter outage nearly took us to empty we upgraded the next spring. With 250 gal, we can go 3.5 days without grid power before needing to refill the tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 05:23 PM

291 posts, read 438,776 times
Hey Sage, how much time do you spend / how difficult is maintenance on that unit each year?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:47 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
We hust had phones and power restored this morning but our expensive T1 is still not back up. Not happy. Glad to have the phones back but we have a big genny so the power wasn't an issue

Old 08-04-2014, 08:44 PM

332 posts, read 483,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
We have a 17Kw generator on a 400 amp automatic transfer switch, with a 250 gallon LPG tank. We started with a 120 gal tank but after one extended winter outage nearly took us to empty we upgraded the next spring. With 250 gal, we can go 3.5 days without grid power before needing to refill the tank.
Even in bulk, it must cost quite a penny to keep that full. I can't even imagine the kind of equipment you're powering with that much capacity!

I've been reading a LOT about generators, and that most of the current crop of portables are Chinese junk that can't breathe, need constant maintenance, and have a short lifespan. I can't go full bore like Sage because we're renting, and I don't want to put that kind of infrastructure in place here. I've been looking at some of the older generation Onans, Kholers, Military APUs, etc as a possibility to put in a trailer. Are there any good shops in the area for generators, or do I have to go to CDA / Spokane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We hust had phones and power restored this morning but our expensive T1 is still not back up. Not happy. Glad to have the phones back but we have a big genny so the power wasn't an issue
What size generator Misty? Is the T1 down at the provider?

Last edited by aiden_is; 08-04-2014 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,016,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Hey Sage, how much time do you spend / how difficult is maintenance on that unit each year?
Maintenance on these units isn't terribly time consuming. Most of them can be set up to automatically start up and run at a programmed interval to keep the battery charged, and periodic running tends to keep the engines working well.

Beyond that, periodic oil & filter changes are all that should be needed. If you aren't running it a whole lot 2 years is a typical recommended routine maintenance interval. I might cut that in half, but still it's not a lot of time.

Quote:
Even in bulk, it must cost quite a penny to keep that full.
That's true, but in normal circumstances you aren't using too much fuel. And when you need it, the cost of being without power can be significant (spoiled food, freezing pipes, etc.)

Dave

Old 08-04-2014, 10:27 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Well....I got home from my backcountry motorcycle camping trip Saturday night. 1900 miles...and a week of bathing in creeks and lakes. Made it home about 15 minutes before the wind started blowing and the power went out...along with any chance of a nice, hot shower

Not the end of the world, broke out the LED lantern from the bike for the night, and made coffee on the Jet Boil the next morning (just like the preceding week). Then headed into Connie's in Sandpoint for breakfast-like everyone else in the county now living in the 19th century! Place was packed! Sunday afternoon I fired up the chain saw and cleaned up the storm damage, and cleaned the bike (stopped in town at the car wash). Then headed to the lake to clean up...again. Ran the generator a couple hours to keep the fridge and freezer cold.

Power was back on at 8:00 Life is good.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:45 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
We have ours serviced once a year. It's a Generac.

Ours starts itself up every Monday at 10AM and runs for about 5-10 minutes or so I'd say (I forget exactly...I don't even pay attention any more...I just hear it start up now).

Yes, propane price has gone up, but the cost of losing EVERYTHING in our freezer and fridge would cost more. And we have a second freezer in our pantry with stuff we freeze from our garden (from all our tomato crop my wife and daughter make enough marinara and salsa to last us most of the winter, and we have enough frozen berries and other produce to last us a LONG time).

Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Even in bulk, it must cost quite a penny to keep that full. I can't even imagine the kind of equipment you're powering with that much capacity!

I've been reading a LOT about generators, and that most of the current crop of portables are Chinese junk that can't breathe, need constant maintenance, and have a short lifespan. I can't go full bore like Sage because we're renting, and I don't want to put that kind of infrastructure in place here. I've been looking at some of the older generation Onans, Kholers, Military APUs, etc as a possibility to put in a trailer. Are there any good shops in the area for generators, or do I have to go to CDA / Spokane?

What size generator Misty? Is the T1 down at the provider?

8K watts, Kohler propane. Husband does all of the maintenance. Since we were off grid for a long time we have an assortment of generators...the one we had when we first built was a Generac and still runs like a charm.

The T1 was down at the local exchange carrier (Frontier)

Last edited by mistyriver; 08-05-2014 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 PM

Worst part about the outage here was the phones being down and not having cell service at home. We had a horse colicking and had to run into town to call the vet and then hang out to wait for a call back. Bad timing...

Old 08-05-2014, 04:49 PM

291 posts, read 438,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Worst part about the outage here was the phones being down and not having cell service at home. We had a horse colicking and had to run into town to call the vet and then hang out to wait for a call back. Bad timing...
Hope the horse is OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho