Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:50 AM

1 posts, read 7,828 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone know what the rights for a tenant are with dog barking. I live in a neighborhood that is full of dog and i have a dog also. I was sent a nasty text from my neighbor stating that if I dont get my dog to quit barking he will take me to court and call animal control. I responded and siad i am sorry but not sure it is my dog. i did let him out to go potty at 8am and he barked a few times. i then took him in the house and left to run errands. so when I responded to my neighbor I let him know my dog was in the house and asked him if he was still barking. he responded 1/2 later saying unless I have another dog in the YARD then it is my dog. but my dog was in the house and he had no way of getting in the yard. Im not really sure what to do about this and if my landlord can evict me for my dog barking. Especially since the neighborhood is full of dogs and they all bark. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Noise ordinances are usually handled at the city, not state level. You'll need to look at the laws in your town. And, you'll need to look at your lease. Most landlords DO have a clause about this. I've seen it called a "covenant of quiet enjoyment" or some such.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:24 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Going to guess you're new to Idaho or at least the area? Has your dog ever has separation issues before? My suggestion if you're not already doing so, is to leave either the TV or radio on for your dog to aid in distracting from outside noises that might cause him/her to bark.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Get a bark collar. We see this all the time. No one ever thinks it is really their dog, but it usually is.

Barking dogs are typically (at least in Boise and Meridian) considered a nuisance if they are barking incessantly, and the neighbor would be within his rights to take you to court and/or call animal control. If this is an ongoing issue, it may irritate him to the point that he actually will do so.

In Idaho, it is difficult to evict for reasons other than non-payment or malicious ongoing damage to property, so your landlord probably won't bother. They will just refuse to renew your lease when it is up, and give you a bad reference for future landlords.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Everybody has a dog in Idaho, but that doesn't mean no one complains about someone else's dog. It happens al the time.
If you are leaving your dog alone while at work, it may be barking like mad all day while you're gone and you would never know except from a complaint. Most dog owners show tolerance for others and put up with some barking, but some folks are cranky and have little patience with any barking.

The law of quiet enjoyment usually allows for some intermittent dog barking; dogs are dogs, and they all bark. But if the dog is barking continuously, there may be grounds for a complaint if the dog is in a fenced yard. If the dog is barking continuously inside a house, that's another matter. The noise is greater by far outside than inside.

If you don't have a complaint yet, I suggest keeping a record of your dog's barking. If the dog is with you all day, I don't think there is any grounds for a complaint. You would probably have to show you're acting responsibly by calling your dog in or something when it barks.

If there are barking dogs all over, I think the responsibility for proving it's your dog would be on the person who complained.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Electric shock dog bark collars work well.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 20,468 times
Try recording your dog when you are gone. Many dogs bark all day then when the owner gets home they are quiet so the owner never hears the problem.

If they start calling the police or animal control you can get tickets.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:25 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahosinger View Post
Try recording your dog when you are gone. Many dogs bark all day then when the owner gets home they are quiet so the owner never hears the problem.

If they start calling the police or animal control you can get tickets.
Great idea. Get a auto recorder that turns on with noise and off when quiet.

My Malamute, which never barks (common with the breed) would cry (almost sounded human) when young and I left for work. Leaving the TV on the Animal channel actually helped.

Last edited by f5fstop; 07-31-2014 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 08:16 AM

274 posts, read 471,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Electric shock dog bark collars work well.
And get a collar for your dog as well. Your neighbor might not like wearing one, but it might keep him from barking also. This is why I live in the country.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:40 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
If you must get a shock collar, get a good one.
The good ones escalate the shock. When a dog barks the first time, the shock is mild. If the dog persists, the shocks become increasingly strong.
They're expensive, but I discovered my dog was a chronic barker while I was away at work, and bought one of these collars. It worked in two days. The one I bought had plastic caps that went over the shock studs, and I capped the studs after the second day while leaving the collar on him for a week.
He never barked continually ever after that. When I replaced his old collar, he would bark at a passerby or someone twice, and that was all, for the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: