Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM

356 posts, read 520,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
Okay CFF, was it you or me that brought the heat? I finally made the trip and am currently in Bonners Ferry. I will speculate that since the temperature in SW OK dropped 25 degrees when I left and increased 20 degrees here the very day I arrive, that it is my fault. I will make my apologies now.
Okay, this made me laugh. I almost posted about this way up thread, but I didn't think that it would be appropriate to chide CFF for bringing the heat when she's had such a rough time of it. I am so glad that I didn't, since it was actually someone else's fault!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 01:26 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,677,822 times
Okay, I 'fess up. I brought the heat. Sorry about that, folks...
But what beautiful evenings we're having!!

Old 08-02-2014, 01:07 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Keep a box of spare heat handy until November. It will be much appreciated then!

Old 08-02-2014, 01:40 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimit2 View Post
Hello CFF....

It simply feels "right" when you are here, my friend. You belong in NID, without a doubt. Welcome home.

I have followed the report of your recent loss. Be strong and do all you can to ease your grief. I'm betting a new four-legged pal will find you soon...

pimit2 (Bob)
I agree, CFF does belong in Idaho. Where or what thread would I read Bob to know what is up with you? I've been wondering how you are for a while. Sounds like you have a new friend

CFF,

Is the drive easier or crazier each year? I'm glad you arrived safely

MSR

Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM

MSR, the drive was much better this time, because we decided to go up through Vegas and SLC, and at Pocatello we cut up through Salmon and the Bitterroot Valley to highway 200 into Idaho. No endless roadwork on I-15 in Montana, and no endless tomato truck traffic on I-5 in California! So that worked out.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 PM

551 posts, read 804,469 times
Actually the I-15 in Montana and Idaho had very little road work. And even the I-90 was pretty good. Looks like they are still working on the landslide near Lookout Pass though.

I wish I could try one of those scenic drives one day.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
MSR, the drive was much better this time, because we decided to go up through Vegas and SLC, and at Pocatello we cut up through Salmon and the Bitterroot Valley to highway 200 into Idaho. No endless roadwork on I-15 in Montana, and no endless tomato truck traffic on I-5 in California! So that worked out.
.....Hey CFF............(Regarding IMO the "best route" north bound out of SLC to get to I-90 at Missoula.)

FWIW, in the mid 1980's, I changed employers (only the 4th time in 31 yrs) : I went from a 20 minute commute to the office, to a 464 mile commute to the office!! (bear in mind, I seldom was in the "office" more than one-day-per-week.........I traveled throughout the Rky Mountain west and some adjacent states, Canada & Alaska about 90% of the time.) I accepted a position in SLC (home office) from a competitor that was 50% more in salary......couldn't turn it down, however it meant living in SLC (in a very nice company provided apartment) for two weeks at a time (thus I "commuted every other week-end" between the Bitterroot and SLC. The company paid for my travel costs and provided a Company Car (Buick). I did this for 48 months--about 50% of the time my wife was with me.........

The "BEST route" I found was: I-15 north out of SLC to Hwy 33 (about 15-20 miles north of ID Falls.) Take #33 west through Mud Lake, ID and go about 3 miles further west to Hwy 28, and go north up through the "Lemhi Valley" to Hwy # 93 at Salmon, ID..............then #93 north up and over the pass to the Bitterroot.........Door-to-Door was an avg of 7hr & 45 min. (the highway through the Lemhi Valley was one stretch where you could really "make-some-time". All of the route was (and is) in excellent shape.
...(This may be the route you took.....)

About 10% of the time in the winter (when the weather was really bad), I would fly from SLC to Missoula and vice/versa----again the company paid the "tab". Wonderful company to work for and also this arrangement gave my wife & I the opportunity to check-out and explore many cities, towns and "areas" that we other-wise would not have been able to visit.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:39 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....Hey CFF............(Regarding IMO the "best route" north bound out of SLC to get to I-90 at Missoula.)

FWIW, in the mid 1980's, I changed employers (only the 4th time in 31 yrs) : I went from a 20 minute commute to the office, to a 464 mile commute to the office!! (bear in mind, I seldom was in the "office" more than one-day-per-week.........I traveled throughout the Rky Mountain west and some adjacent states, Canada & Alaska about 90% of the time.) I accepted a position in SLC (home office) from a competitor that was 50% more in salary......couldn't turn it down, however it meant living in SLC (in a very nice company provided apartment) for two weeks at a time (thus I "commuted every other week-end" between the Bitterroot and SLC. The company paid for my travel costs and provided a Company Car (Buick). I did this for 48 months--about 50% of the time my wife was with me.........

The "BEST route" I found was: I-15 north out of SLC to Hwy 33 (about 15-20 miles north of ID Falls.) Take #33 west through Mud Lake, ID and go about 3 miles further west to Hwy 28, and go north up through the "Lemhi Valley" to Hwy # 93 at Salmon, ID..............then #93 north up and over the pass to the Bitterroot.........Door-to-Door was an avg of 7hr & 45 min. (the highway through the Lemhi Valley was one stretch where you could really "make-some-time". All of the route was (and is) in excellent shape.
...(This may be the route you took.....)

About 10% of the time in the winter (when the weather was really bad), I would fly from SLC to Missoula and vice/versa----again the company paid the "tab". Wonderful company to work for and also this arrangement gave my wife & I the opportunity to check-out and explore many cities, towns and "areas" that we other-wise would not have been able to visit.
That's a beautiful drive.
Before I-15 was completed, this was the route most college kids who lived in I.F. used to go up to the U of I in Moscow. The winter traveling can be very slow, (it took us 20 hours one time), but the other 3 seasons were always a very nice, but long, drive.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Did you come through Idaho Falls too? Or did you get to Salmon some other way?

MSR

Old 08-09-2014, 04:10 PM

MRS and Griz, We went north at Blackfoot and came through MacKay. I have a favorite barn in Mackay I have to visit and take pictures of from time to time! It looks like it isn't going to last much longer, and they have signs up about some community improvement there. Oh well, it was beautiful while it lasted...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho