Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM

100 posts, read 227,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
I am curious about Poky, and what life would be like living there? A single guy mature aged, for dating, making friends? Is Poky run down? Why are there so many homes for sale in Blackfoot? Is Poky and Blackfoot good areas with low crime? Natural beauty? I see homes their are cheap....anyone live in these places?
I have lived in Poky. It sucked, it is run down, it is full of meth heads. I was very disappointed, usually college towns are some what decent. Pocatello is a dump.

As far as being single Pocatellois probably the best place in SE Idaho to meet a non-LDS partner, not that Pocatello is full of singles just that the surrounding areas have nothing.

I would rather live in Blackfoot, no singles but it is cleaner and better outdoor opportunities and less meth heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:39 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,904,034 times
To anyone reading this thread, refer to the posts on the first page as they are more accurate about what Pocatello is like. The first post on this page is a bitter spin full of hyperbole.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
To anyone reading this thread, refer to the posts on the first page as they are more accurate about what Pocatello is like. The first post on this page is a bitter spin full of hyperbole.
I am just giving my opinion of Pocatello, take it with a grain of salt. I have lived a lot of nice places so I compare places to fairly high benchmarks. If you look at my post you will find plenty of positive post about nice towns and cities. When someone asked about a poor town with poor recreation I usually mention it is not that nice of a place. I am 100% neutral I have no benfit in promoting one place or giving negative reviews of one place, I call it how I see it.
The reality is Pocatello is a old railroad town(which are known to be dumps).

I did say Pocatello would be the best place in SE Idaho to find single people. The rest of the OPs ?s I could not answer positively or give glowing reports.

Like I said take it with a grain of salt, Gather Info. if you have negative and positive you have some good info to make decisions on. If you only have glowing reports beware they are probably one sided lies from vested interests.

Some people have never left their hometown and think it is the greatest in the world, some have just moved to a place and are still in the "honeymoon stage", some people work in real estate and try to get buyers from internet forums. ?

Personally if I was looking at places I would want opinion from people that had experience living in a few different states and cities and who have no vested interests.

Last edited by blendin; 07-22-2014 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 07-22-2014, 12:53 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,964 times
Pocatello is a great town to live in for outdoor recreation.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Oh 5f5stop,

Your post made me laugh. I've got it - you're comfortable in your own skin and private. Too bad!! I'd love to talk some of Grand and San Juan politics. I had colleagues do CSHCN clinics there. I filled in once for somebody and it made my head hurt to hear the stories.

A house I co-owned in SLC was kind of half decorated in the dolls, a full size rug and a lot of the beautiful turquoise jewelry (including the "good stuff" in the back room of stores I won't name), and the black and other colors of turquoise

Moving on, please consider starting a thread in UT about life in Moab. There are enough questions. The one time I went Bryan Adams' private jet was at the airport along with the crew that shot his musical video. That was before the major activity started weekend destinations and the bldg etc.

So, Idaho, will seem pretty darn sane after you living in Moab. Not trying to pry here just thinking about what you wrote.

How soon could you transfer to ID so you could try it out while still working? How soon can you come up and spend time in the area? There are places like Shelley, which is about six miles south of Idaho Falls. It's about 4,500, but accounts for the majority of Bingham County's growth.

Other places include Iona and the County homes in N. Bingham and Bonneville.

if you really like isolated, Butte County (Arco) is losing population. Juneaubound is someone you might want to send a PM as she and her husband moved from WY - Cody, I believe, last year.

You need to come and spend time looking at different areas and properties. Houses are selling in the country. Property varies depending on the location. But absolutely, what you want is available.

You might want to look for useful threads in the Idaho Falls sub-forum. Many retirees want to move here. Some posters (those wishing to move) want Idaho to have what they want, not what is. They can write some negative things...but 300 K people are not going to change certain things those who want to live here are almost demanding. You don't strike me the same as those posters.

if you need Air Travel, IFRA is the largest. Dailys to SLC and Denver. Also Vegas, Minneapolis and summertime CA cities.

Let us know when you think you'll have time to visit for a while. You have some decisions ahead of you.

Good luck,

MSR
Probably headed that way (again) primarily to Pocatello and Blackfoot in a few weeks.
Talking with a few people I work with, who have relatives who live in Blackfoot and Pocatello, it appears they all love where they live and say the other cities are nice too. So they are not much help.
Guess I have some more research to do.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:31 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,446,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Probably headed that way (again) primarily to Pocatello and Blackfoot in a few weeks.
Talking with a few people I work with, who have relatives who live in Blackfoot and Pocatello, it appears they all love where they live and say the other cities are nice too. So they are not much help.
Guess I have some more research to do.
Got to go with what feels right for you. Idaho, at least I-15, is 80 mph north of Brigham City.

Have a safe trip. MSR

Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Bull****.

Pocatello ranked "dirtiest" city in the nation

Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM

63 posts, read 167,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post

@ blendin,

Did you read the article you posted.... "dirtiest" because they don't purchase enough cleaning products.

FYI, HYPERBOLE: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally

Old 07-25-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenton View Post
@ blendin,

Did you read the article you posted.... "dirtiest" because they don't purchase enough cleaning products.

FYI, HYPERBOLE: exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally
Sorry wrong link I meant to post the Newsweek article. I thought it might be interesting and relavant to the thread title and buying rental properties in Pocatello. Hyperboye ? you decide.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-i-became...slumlord-80447

Old 07-25-2014, 10:36 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blendin View Post
Sorry wrong link I meant to post the Newsweek article. I thought it might be interesting and relavant to the thread title and buying rental properties in Pocatello. Hyperboye ? you decide.

http://www.newsweek.com/how-i-became...slumlord-80447
Yawn...old article and this can explain anywhere USA.

Hi blendin. I hope all is well

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/sm.../rmsljfkm.jpeg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho