Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 16,815 times

Advertisements

We had a very bad experience at Bonner General and now that we are talking to people about it every waitress, car mechanic, teacher we talk to says "Bonner General? Never go to Bonner General if you can help it!" We were even told this by a nurse at the hospital in Coeur d'Alene!

What is wrong with them??

Have you had a bad experience there or know someone who has? What do you recommend that a person should do if they need medical care in Sandpoint?

Thanks for your opinions.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
One bad experience at the ER where they missed a few broken bones, but many other very good experiences. After living here for 11 years, I've not heard much in the way of bad about BGH, actually. And I'm grateful to have them. I guess I don't expect big city care in a small town. Which works both ways since people at BGH are much nicer than they would be in a big city hospital.
If you had a bad experience and you're upset, go somewhere else like Kootenai in Coeur d'Alene. Why all the fuss?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:49 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,049 times
When my wife was having our last son the hospital in Sandpoint sent us to Spokane. Since she was early they didn't want to chance it. Other than that, we always had decent service in Sandpoint. This was in 1980. I miss that area a lot.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
One bad experience at the ER where they missed a few broken bones, but many other very good experiences. After living here for 11 years, I've not heard much in the way of bad about BGH, actually. And I'm grateful to have them. I guess I don't expect big city care in a small town. Which works both ways since people at BGH are much nicer than they would be in a big city hospital.
If you had a bad experience and you're upset, go somewhere else like Kootenai in Coeur d'Alene. Why all the fuss?

I would add that if your experience was truly bad, you should go to the state licensing board or get an attorney.
really not sure what badmouthing the hospital around town does to help you or anyone else.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
I have only been in there once; a tractor accident requiring stitches. The care and service was very polite and professional, reasonable wait time and the price was reasonable compared to some of the horror stories I had heard about regarding other places.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
I have only heard good things about BGH from friends who've gone there. And counter to your experience, when at KMC's ER once, I had both an ER doc and a nurse ask why we hadn't gone to BGH since it was a really great local hospital. I've just never been there so I have no personal opinion of BGH.

I think this is just like any other service business. Everyone's personal anecdotal experiences collectively paint a picture of a place, but no 3-4 opinions or experiences that I heard on the internet or "around town" would necessarily sway my view of a place without a lot more objective proof of an incident's actual facts.

In parts of Los Angeles County, we had some hospitals so bad, that among our patrol officers we had a standing agreement that if we were SHOT in the ER parking lot at a couple of those hospitals, we wanted to be thrown in the back seat of a radio car and driven to a different hospital. Now THAT is a bad reputation to have...

Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I have only heard good things about BGH from friends who've gone there. And counter to your experience, when at KMC's ER once, I had both an ER doc and a nurse ask why we hadn't gone to BGH since it was a really great local hospital. I've just never been there so I have no personal opinion of BGH.

I think this is just like any other service business. Everyone's personal anecdotal experiences collectively paint a picture of a place, but no 3-4 opinions or experiences that I heard on the internet or "around town" would necessarily sway my view of a place without a lot more objective proof of an incident's actual facts.

In parts of Los Angeles County, we had some hospitals so bad, that among our patrol officers we had a standing agreement that if we were SHOT in the ER parking lot at a couple of those hospitals, we wanted to be thrown in the back seat of a radio car and driven to a different hospital. Now THAT is a bad reputation to have...
Great and funny post, Sage.

MSR

Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
We have had several ER visits over a number of years. We had one bad experience there which could have resulted in death or very serious health issues. We have had very long waits in the ER as well. If one of us needed besic care BGH would be fine, but if we needed surgery or had a serious health problem I would try very hard to at least get to Kootenai Medical Center.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Kudos to the fine doctor at Kootenai Medical Center who last year (Sept.2012) took out my wife's gall bladder. Man, he was so cool, we were really struggling financially, I couldn't find work in my chosen field in NID. We were living in a little cracker box rental house by the CDA Library and City Hall.

This man took the time to explain the procedure so well, and, the ER crew was great as was the surgery nursing crew. We are so grateful to them for treating us so well.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:09 PM

183 posts, read 278,133 times
Jim.....sorry to hear of your experience. However,without the specifics of your "bad service" it is hard to comment. It has been my observation over the last 30 years in the medical profession, that one's perception can be right on or very off base. For example,wait time in the ER is based on the concept of "triage" which means to sort by severity.The more serious get seen first,regardless of who arrived first. Also,attitudes of the staff can vary due to work load,time of day/nite or just plain having a bad day. (no excuse)

Anyway,too much to go into here.If you would like to send me a pvt.message I will gladly reply with my take on your situation. One bad experience may not be the end all and talk is cheap when asking others. Bottom line only you can decide if you go back or not.I just thought I would offer you some insight and my medical opinion if you so choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho