Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 26,166 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can fill me in on the area of Weippe. The family and I, after numerous trips throughout Idaho, Washington, and Montana, have narrowed our "retirement" areas to Deary and Weippe. The reason we like Weippe is that it is out of the way, few people, close to national forest, fertile land and somewhat low cost of land. Having said that, I realize some of those attributes may also be a hinderance.
My family and I are hoping to homestead in that area. We'd like to get a place that's partial treed/partial pasture---around 20 acres or more. Education for our children isn't an issue; both are homeschooled. I'll be retired military when we come up there---I have no idea what I'll do for income (hopefully some work at home job). I have little desire to continue the "grind" working my life away.
Questions I have on that area are: How is the drive up the hill from Orofino in the winter? How are the winters there in general? What do the locals do for work--all lumber related? Do the folks in the area accept outsiders (I wouldn't think many move there)? I ask that because when we drove thru the area a couple weeks ago, we saw some folks on a dirt road and I immediately was reminded of the movie Deliverance. Taxes? Ease of building (permits ect.)? Haven't been able to gather too much info over the net---any insight would be much appreciated!

-Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
I'd go for Deary, still remote but you'll hear Dueling Banjo's less often.

Seriously, Weippe (Town slogan: Don't forget to...) is a very economically depressed town. Deary is much less so. Most any jobs in Weippe will be forestry related. You'll want to have work handled before you get there. Don't plan to find it there. Deary is less depressed, owing to many of the townsfolk commuting to Moscow. Building permits should be easy in Weippe. As I recall that is part of Idaho county, one of the least regulated in the nation. They won't be a big issue in Deary either.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:08 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
If you do have a hankering to hear Duelin' Banjos after you move, drop me a line here, and I'll be most happy to round up another banjoist. We will gladly assault your ears, but I'm not about to follow you down some damn river.

However, since I personally hate the tune, a different request would be much appreciated.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 26,166 times
Ha! I never said anything about banjos---I happen to like the sound! Back on topic...anyone know how harsh the winters are in deary and weippe? I'm ok with anything...except 50mph wind like Great Falls, Mt.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Grew up in Havre.

You'll find both ID towns to be warmer and less windy. They do get deeper snow and are much more overcast.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 560 times
Trying to kick some dust up here on this old one...Wally 3430 How did you and your family fair in your move to ID after your retirement from the Military? Or did you all end up somewhere else? Just wondering as a fellow (USN)retiree 2021, who's family is currently trying out AR. it is really nice here, but we can't seem to shake the mountain fever. We are planning a road trip out to ID and possibly MT, UT as two other prospectives in summer 2024.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Wally hasn't logged in for 9 years; so unlikely to hear from him.

Further thread browsing can yield a lot of ready to read information, but not everyone is still active. Profiles where public can be found by click on name and then profile from drop down menu.

Maybe other ex-military in Idaho and active on forum might reply

Last edited by NW Crow; 09-04-2023 at 02:31 PM..

Old 09-04-2023, 03:13 PM

Deary has had a bit of a revival in recent years. AFAIK Weippe has not.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:25 PM

560 posts, read 435,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty minded View Post
Trying to kick some dust up here on this old one...Wally 3430 How did you and your family fair in your move to ID after your retirement from the Military? Or did you all end up somewhere else? Just wondering as a fellow (USN)retiree 2021, who's family is currently trying out AR. it is really nice here, but we can't seem to shake the mountain fever. We are planning a road trip out to ID and possibly MT, UT as two other prospectives in summer 2024.
Wally's last activity: https://www.city-data.com/forum/35084377-post19.html

Don't think he made the move to ID if I had to guess.

Old 09-05-2023, 07:25 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't know those areas, but of you make the effort to fit yourself into the local culture, you will be accepted. If you go around saying "back in where ever I came from, used to do whatever, or we used to have whatever" and you will erect an instant barrier between yourself and the locals that you might find difficult to overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho