Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times

Advertisements

Note: I'm not saying Coeur d'Alene's bars are always happy-go-lucky. They are still bars after all, complete with all the usual problems that come with combining groups of people with alcohol.

Example:

Someone was shot to death by police in CDA during OctoberFest on October 1, 2012, IIRC. I believe it was by CDA police or by temporary borrowed SWAT team members that were on loan to CDA police at that time. Apparently this guy was out of control, though, and threatened someone and/or CDA police openly before he was shot. Totally drunk and out of control person.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Someone was shot to death by police in CDA during OctoberFest on October 1, 2012
Well, that happend on the second day of Oktoberfest, but it had nothing to do with the event. It was in a different part of town and at a different time. Oktoberfest activities were held downtown along Sherman Ave between 1st St. and 6th St. with events starting at 1:00p that day.

The original shooting was in a residential area east of downtown at about 11:00a at 11th and Lakeside, and the man who ended up being shot by police fled from there further east, then south along Coeur d'Alene Lake Drive.

Spokesman Review Story: CdA shooting suspect identified
Coeur d'Alene Press Story: Man dies following shooting spree in Cd'A

There was a shooting outside of a Coeur d'Alene bar in December 2009, but all charges against the shooter were dropped the next month. (link)

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Good - my job was just ta get this bit about the occasional alcohol-related (or otherwise) shootings conversation started. I'm glad you got the right information out there. Coeur d' Alene is not a scary place at all for crime but bars, alcohol and human nature will inevitably combine to create the occasional tragedy just like they will in any city.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Quite true, and as CdA grows, more crime does tend to happen.

I've found this to be a good resource: CDA PD CrimeMaps
More detailed (and past) crime stats: Crime Statistics

Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,729 times
Smile Coeur d'Alene

Coeur d'Alene is a wonderful place to live! Warm people, 4 seasons., beautiful scenery. Still small town friendly AND the most Republican County in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I lived in Seattle for twenty years. It's long on scenic beauty but short on sane people. It's home of the 'if you don't believe in our long check list of, global warming, white people are all racists, capitalism is evil, etc, etc, etc, then we will scream at you at the drop of a hat.

Really, it's not a good place for a normal person to live. I visited Portland over the years, same deal.

I'm stuck in Phoenix which is a little too heat, sand, scorpions and strip malls for me. I hope to someday move to a place with four seasons and some green.

Is northern Idaho maybe the place? I love the climate and scenery of the northwest, but my experiences in Seattle make me leery.

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 02-05-2013 at 04:30 AM.. Reason: Mod Cut

Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 13,532 times
Hmmm. Interesting posts. I live in semi-rural northern CA near Tahoe and am looking to relocate. I will admit to being conservative and sick of liberals who never address an issue. They say, "well, you must be some kind of 'fill in the blank' conservative radical" I will say that I have opted OUT of the food culture in America and eat free range, pastured, organic, etc. and will also add that lately I've seen plain folks and redneck types shopping for the same food also. And I try to avoid buying anything made in China!! I will not shop at WalMart. The biggest oxymoron I can think of is a lifted pickup truck with a big American flag parked at Walmart. Go figure. I am pretty much apolitical in that I refuse to watch any TV news or get involved in the "political issue d'jour' But since I am a gun enthusiast and hunter I guess CA is forcing me to either move away or go to jail or bow to the system.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454ElCamino View Post
Wanted to post before I get into it to make sure it was working, so here is my opinion based on over 3 years of research on my own. I have looked in Utah, Boise (Eagle, Meridian) Spokane and surrounding, North Dakota, Montana, North Carolina. I have actually lived in Nebraska, California, Utah, Eastern Washington, Priest river, Hayden Lake Idaho, and I did not see any inbreeding, the whole skinhead thing is/was a joke, and once I saw some idiot at a little league game make a comment about a Mexican kid, and 8 or so of the parents got up and firmly told the guy to leave and don't come back. (that was 28 years ago) The Whole reason for my move is freedom from oppressive government fees, taxes, and regulations, and yes a citizenry that hopefully will not tolerate it either. It is heart breaking to see what my once beautiful California has become, and to have to pull up deep roots and relocate. I only find taxes tolerable when you are actually getting some necessary service that has value. Anything else is repulsive. To give you an idea of how out of place we are where we live. I have 9 children (all with the same wife, and we are still married. Imagine that), and we home school, we visit health food stores regularly, and almost never go to a doctor, although they definitely have their worth, don't get me wrong. Organic food? Great, but I love McDonalds fries, and a Chocolate shake once in a while also. Coeur D'Alene has every modern amenity you could need, but still has the small town feel, and Spokane is pretty much fully self contained as far as anything else you may need, and is close by. Diversity is a PC code word for DISUNITY! It does not mean that we have to tolerate bad behavior, or some other countries culture imposed on America's! If you fly jets, you can not be Diverse, you have to be unified, and follow the rules of flying. If you came from a country that drives on the Wrong side of the road (LOL) I am sorry, your diversity is not going to be tolerated here. So my point Is that disagreeing with bad behavior does not make you intolerant, or racist. It doesn't matter what color you are, but it does matter how you behave. I have a live, and let live attitude. I don't want to bug anyone, and I don't want anyone telling me what to do either, but I will be the first one to come and help in any way I can when asked, and have found the people of north Idaho to not only be that way, but friendly and welcoming as well. But seriously why would you work so hard for example to get to America, and then try to change it into the crummy place you just came from? So I think if you are moving to a new place you should respect that, or don't move there. That doesn't make everybody red necks to guard their culture, and their home. BTW as it turns out my neighbors on both sides are retired LAPD, and both neighbors across the street are also California transplants, and literally almost everybody I have dealt with in this process of relocating, and buying a house in North Idaho are California transplants. I just changed over the utilities and even the girl at the electric company used to live here, the realtor, loan guy, and a ton of retired Fire and police from Ca live in North Id. You want to know their only regret? It's that they didn't move sooner!!!! The people in this entire country in my opinion are so sick of the diversity lie, and being told/forced what to do through regulation, taxation, and fees, and not being listened to at the ballot box, that the only thing left that they can do is vote with their feet, and move to a place that is more like they are, and that is what I am doing as we speak. Good weather can only go so far you know! Is it racist or bad to not want to live where people behave badly? I don't think so. Is it bad or racist for people to not want people to move to your city, or country and try to change it into where they came from? I don't think so. You know the old saying, when in Rome, do as the Romans do! When I get to the boarder of Idaho, I am going to remove my Ca. plates, and throw them away, and blend in!
Ditto!! Except I would never eat any fast food!! I try to eat like my grandparents and great grandparents ate...... food grown or raised the way God intended, not Monsanto!! Like many others I am so saddened at what CA has become. Even with old friends, if you express a conservative opinion or are a 2A supporter they immediately jump on your back and never, ever stick to the issue. Time to leave CA very soon and I will leave all my opinions at the border along with my license plates!!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM

23 posts, read 57,153 times
Unhappy Changed My Mind About Coeur d'Alene??

After reading what Mystical had to say, I think I may have changed my mind about Coeur d'Alene. That was on our short list of places to settle down and raise our child, but it may be off that list after her candid response. Although I am not Jewish by blood, my family follows Torah, so I can understand the problems she must face. I have Jewish friends in MO that were harassed for cryin out loud! Jesus was a Jew people!!

Ok... off my soap box... We are Libertarians who are against GMO foods, big cattle, and big government. I like my privacy, my guns, prefer organic and locally grown foods and meat (by farmers who aren't paid-off by the government), AND we recycle. I like to think of myself as a tree-hugging Libertarian.

I don't think Mayberry exists anymore... no matter how hard we look... and that makes me very sad. We have to make the best of where we land... but we can keep trying to find a good fit, if we can.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 57,153 times
SS454ElCamino... Did you move to Coeur d'Alene? Those of us left behind in CA would love a report of your arrival!!

Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 PM

159 posts, read 354,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaGrace View Post
After reading what Mystical had to say, I think I may have changed my mind about Coeur d'Alene. That was on our short list of places to settle down and raise our child, but it may be off that list after her candid response. Although I am not Jewish by blood, my family follows Torah, so I can understand the problems she must face. I have Jewish friends in MO that were harassed for cryin out loud! Jesus was a Jew people!!

Ok... off my soap box... We are Libertarians who are against GMO foods, big cattle, and big government. I like my privacy, my guns, prefer organic and locally grown foods and meat (by farmers who aren't paid-off by the government), AND we recycle. I like to think of myself as a tree-hugging Libertarian.

I don't think Mayberry exists anymore... no matter how hard we look... and that makes me very sad. We have to make the best of where we land... but we can keep trying to find a good fit, if we can.
I think you would like CDA very much and I can't imagine anyone would even care what religion you practice. If they did they certainly wouldn't be a typical citizen of this town. This is live and let live land for the most part.

MysticalDream seems like a very in your face type of person that gets offended at the drop of a hat. You thought those posts sounded candid but to me they sounded like someone who isn't very easy going and likes a lot of drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho