Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 03:20 PM

9 posts, read 11,876 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a house in Churchill Farms, Fulshear with Beazer homes. I have not heard much about Beazer homes. I am wondering if anybody is living in Beazer homes that you can share your experiences on quality of the building, and if anything I need to worry about.

Someone told me the insulation they use (spray form) for energy conservation causes more noise (resound) if you have a party in the home compared to other builders, however, I am not worrying much about that. Appreciate if you could share your thoughts about Beazer Homes construction quality.

I really liked one of their models (Fredericksberg), and the price is with in my range. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 05:03 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,835 times
I live in a Beazer home. Do not buy one.

If you don't see them built, its a crapshoot. The ac systems are too small in most of the homes and personally I think they use a lot of subpar materials if upgrades are not done.

I watched my house be built and if I would be scared to buy one having seen what I'd do when my home was built. I am currently getting ready to spend about $10k to have the ac system fixed because it's too small to handle the summer needs and control humidity and my home is only 20 months old.

If there is a Taylor Morrison home in there I'd look at that.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM

Thanks, DSL_PWR.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:44 PM

467 posts, read 779,506 times
Beazer Homes uses finger jointed lumber - very cheap material.
Would not buy.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,243,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Would not buy.
Looked at a Beazer home before. Agree with the subpar finishes. Ended up not making offer since the sellers wanted a ridiculous amount for low quality materials. Perry and Highland seemed much better quality.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Would not buy.

What are you talking about? Most builders use engineered finger jointed lumber for vertical use in home frames, sturdier and less chance of warping.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:59 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,775,835 times
I will come back and say this about my home. I was happy with the framing and brickwork. I guess I got two good crews and spent time talking with them during their work.

The finger jointed lumber is like houston321 said, sturdier and usually straighter than standard lumber.

If you spend serious coin and do all the upgrades possible, oversee the build of your home on a daily basis, demand mistakes be fixed at that time and not later on then you can just about build any home. With that said if I had not watched my home be built then I'd have a hard time buying a beazer home.

The foam is nice but without having the proper AC system installed it can be a pain. Humidity control is hard because the AC system doesn't properly do it's job and personally the homes need to have a whole home dehumidifier in order to achieve total comfort.

Also the foam does make the home quieter (in my opinion). The foam does not make the home any noisier inside. I think combined with tile or hardwood then you might notice a slight increase but overall I don't think it's a big deal.

Good luck.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 AM

131 posts, read 537,488 times
All the builders in the area use the same crews, but Beazer does pay a little less than Taylor Morrison (or at least they did a couple of years ago when my house was being built). We're talking about 10-50 cents/hr, so not a huge difference, but it means that homes take longer to build when labor is tight. Any builder in this price range is going to try to push some questionable quality items through - that's the norm, and why you have to (sadly) end up doing a lot of the quality control on your own home when it's being built.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with Beazer as a builder if you like the floorplan and you feel like it's a good value for your price range. I personally didn't like any of their floorplans at the price points they wanted when I built in CHF, so that's the primary reason why I built a TM house.

The spray foam insulation will tend to make the house a little quieter inside from noises outside. I don't see how it could possibly make it seem louder inside when you've got a party in there.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:52 PM

53 posts, read 71,631 times
I'm new to Beazer homes, so I don't know how it was built in the past, but current homes with the spray foam is way quieter. I was recently in both Beazer and Perry Homes in the same location just to check street noise comparison and Beazer was quieter. Only thing from what I was told with spray foam is that you can't do any updates on exterior walls after as it might compromise the integrity of the spray foam, so if you need anything done such as wiring on the exterior walls, do it before they spray.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 PM

I appreciate your responses. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston