Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 12:44 PM

4,617 posts, read 3,312,097 times

Advertisements

Our Florida condo has 15 x 15 tile floors and last night I heard several gunshot sounds and when I went to look, three tiles in the hallway had cracked explosively and ruptured upwards.

Is this common? No one else in nearby units had problems. Our Board says this is expansion, common in hallways and other constricted spaces. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 01:53 PM

4,606 posts, read 6,381,271 times
And the "Board" are construction experts ?
House settling ? On a slab ? Any cracks in the slab below tile ?

Old 04-24-2024, 01:57 PM

14,532 posts, read 12,163,865 times
No, I don’t think that’s at all common or normal!

Something is settling - or rather unsettling - quickly.

Old 04-24-2024, 01:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,629 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Yes, the expansion and contraction, moisture and drying can cause that especially on a concrete slab floor, or foundations in sandy soil. Proper installation with a flexible membrane helps, but if it's an older home it may not have that.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:42 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,209,663 times
The Board obviously knows nothing about construction since it’s not common for tile to break if all of the construction was properly installed.

And how could anyone say this is “common” without first investigating to determine the cause which is not very difficult to do for someone who understands construction.

A quick examination of the area and the removal of a few tile would most likely reveal one of the two reasons why the tile failed. It’s not all that complicated!

Old 04-24-2024, 03:30 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
I was standing in the lunch line one time in a cafeteria when suddenly there was a sound like a gunshot and the tile floor all the way across the building snapped. It was quiet unsettling.

In your case -- Condo. In Florida. -- I'd push the board to have some good Engineers in there pronto.

Old 04-25-2024, 06:42 AM

I need to clarify a couple of things. We are not on a slab, at least in our unit, which is on the top floor of a 4 floor building. The building is much longer than it is tall, and has a couple of 35° "wings," in one of which our unit is located. As I'm writing this last two sentences, it has occurred to me that I've written the recipe for a problem right there.

My experience was much like yours, TNFF, in that I heard all the gunshots and the crack ran linearly at a 45° angle across the hall. We have someone coming tonight to look at it and we'll take the tiles up at that time. Haven't wanted to take them up yet, until someone is there.

Old 04-25-2024, 07:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 935,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
our unit, which is on the top floor of a 4 floor building...and has a couple of 35° "wings," in one of which our unit is located

I would not be staying in that unit until they find out what is going on.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:13 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,182,078 times
Normal....nope! There are a few possibilities here: Incorrect installation such as directly installed on subflooring is pretty common or the support underneath is deflecting or there is building settlement. Does the unit below you have the same issue? Unless you see an obvious cause, you may want to get a structural engineer to evaluate!

Old 04-28-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Normal....nope! There are a few possibilities here: Incorrect installation such as directly installed on subflooring is pretty common or the support underneath is deflecting or there is building settlement. Does the unit below you have the same issue? Unless you see an obvious cause, you may want to get a structural engineer to evaluate!
Yes, you are right. The tiles are probably installed directly on the concrete flooring. A contractor we had in two days ago said they should have been installed on a cork or other substrate which would have taken the stress and not affected the tiles (maybe!). Anyway, they will be out tomorrow morning to take the tiles up so we will see what's under them.

The people below us are away but nothing has been reported by anyone else, and their condo watcher has reported nothing.

Very long buildings such as ours do experience movement, and there are expansion joints at the points where the building makes an angle, so I would not be surprised to find there was some movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House