Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 11:43 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times

Advertisements

Finally going down renovation road in our house. The pandemic put our plans on hold for 3 years- both contractor availability and prices. It's 3 phases with a prairie style decor which is quite popular here. House was originally built 1998 (if I recall).

Phase 1- New kitchen cabinets and countertops, all new flooring. 1,000 square feet of circle sawn fir flooring in the blonde. Local fir has a nice blonde/red hue naturally. Tile in the powder room and entry landing and washer/dryer closet. New railings/banister and trim. Tile backsplash- yadda, yadda. Our first floor is open concept- currently a large L shaped counter with a breakfast bar that is technically in the living room. We're defeating that and walling it up- YES removing a good chunk of the open floorplan!

We're going backwards on appliances. We have a 6 burner, dual oven 40" O'Keefe & Merritt gas stove circa 1953, and a 1952 International Harvester refrigerator. We'll leave the fridge opening 'standard size' so if someone wants to put a modern fridge in - they can. We also have a fully restored drop dead gorgeous Hoosier style antique cabinet that will be an anchor on one wall. Also installing a real honest to God exhaust hood- exiting through the roof. We may need to install an active fresh air/make up air system. We'll have it checked after the exhaust is hooked up.

Phase 2- all new windows. Pella. that includes to French doors. That's spendy in of itself. Originally we intended to do all of them at once, but the way the Inflation Reduction Act was written, you get a tax credit for energy efficient windows up to a set max amount- but you can do it annually until it expires. So that may make us do Phase 2 over a period of say 4 years. Pella is not to happy about that- we're still negotiating this term.

Phase 3- All new solid wood interior doors and new final trim. Metal wainscoting on the exterior of the house to match what we did with our shop. The detail work.

We hired a guy as the GC that does some phenomenal and very detailed work. He is well know and highly regarded. My co-worker had him do all her interior work and it's really nice. He's going to be the GC over all phases. He admittedly said he couldn't do all of this in one shot so we agreed this will be a 3 year job, kitchen being the biggest and most important. We have a contract on Phase 1, do a contract over Phase2 next year and a so-forth. It helps us spread the costs too.

Thankfully we have a 3 car attached garage and large shop. We have enough space to move all our furniture AND set up a temporary kitchen space.

Gonna be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 12:06 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
I like your appliance choices. I have a 30 in. 1953 Wedgwood gas stove and eventually want a refrigerator from the same decade. My kitchen is pretty vintage with original 1959 solid oak cabinets and built-in china cupboard, so I want to maintain the same vibe overall. Yours sounds like it will look lovely.

Old 01-16-2023, 12:31 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
I would look at the energy consumption of the 1952 International Harvester refrigerator.
I will bet it is a lot.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would look at the energy consumption of the 1952 International Harvester refrigerator.
I will bet it is a lot.
No it’s not. That is an often cited misconception. I have a kill-o-watt device and in fact it’s about 50% less than our current Whirlpool.

There is no auto-defrost, no electronic doo-dads, it’s a low speed compressor that is actually named ‘Tite Wad’, lol. Farmers were cheap

Last edited by Threerun; 01-16-2023 at 01:52 PM..

Old 01-16-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I like your appliance choices. I have a 30 in. 1953 Wedgwood gas stove and eventually want a refrigerator from the same decade. My kitchen is pretty vintage with original 1959 solid oak cabinets and built-in china cupboard, so I want to maintain the same vibe overall. Yours sounds like it will look lovely.
I love Wedgwood stoves! We were originally going to use a Wedgewood that has 4 burners and a side with a woodstove, but the if we did that we would have had some real challenges with clearances to combustibles and the wood stove exhaust.

Here's the fridge- It's a survivor- unrestored and running since new.

And this is our stove. Picked it up in Culver City CA. The burner assembly tops were taken off for transport. They are all refurbished and re-chromed.

And the Hoosier cabinet

Last edited by Threerun; 01-16-2023 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-17-2023, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I love Wedgwood stoves! We were originally going to use a Wedgewood that has 4 burners and a side with a woodstove, but the if we did that we would have had some real challenges with clearances to combustibles and the wood stove exhaust.

Here's the fridge- It's a survivor- unrestored and running since new.

And this is our stove. Picked it up in Culver City CA. The burner assembly tops were taken off for transport. They are all refurbished and re-chromed.

And the Hoosier cabinet
Who restored your stove? Mine was done by Dreamstoves; they're in CA as well. I went a little wild in the color; mine's red on the top, fender, and knobs to match the Wedgwood logo and the rest is white. I love it!

Old 01-17-2023, 10:01 AM

I think that one was restored by the Antique Stove Shop. You'll sh*t if I told you how much I paid for it. It was restored about 5 years ago, the lady then moved from CA to ID and let her grandson and daughter rent her house in Culver City CA. None of them wanted the stove any longer- needless to say it was an offer I could not refuse, lol.

I have this Wedgewood in my shop-

Works beautifully!

You need to post pics of your stove! I love these workhorses! And man you can't beat the style- true American craftsmanship!

Old 01-17-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I think that one was restored by the Antique Stove Shop. You'll sh*t if I told you how much I paid for it. It was restored about 5 years ago, the lady then moved from CA to ID and let her grandson and daughter rent her house in Culver City CA. None of them wanted the stove any longer- needless to say it was an offer I could not refuse, lol.

I have this Wedgewood in my shop-

Works beautifully!

You need to post pics of your stove! I love these workhorses! And man you can't beat the style- true American craftsmanship!
I wouldn't be shocked at what you paid for your stove. I paid a pretty fair price for mine as well, and it was their lowest priced stove due to the smaller size. In addition, I had shipping costs from CA to VA. I really wanted that stove!

Old 01-17-2023, 10:00 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Your kitchen "stuff" is amazing!!! My house came with a vintage fridge that was stored in the cellar. I kind of wish I'd kept it but the electric bill dropped considerably when it was taken away. This was before the internet and the MCM craze. I do enjoy a no-frills gas stove though, newer than yours but still vintage.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:59 PM

Had fun with the wood floors. I ordered end finished, that's not what I received. To re-order I would have to wait 2 months. Can't do that. So I end cut each bloody one. and it was 14 degrees out, snowing and windy.

I cut the ends (and any obvious defects) my wife hauled it in and stacked it. Fun..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House