Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 04:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times

Advertisements

We just did new quartz counter tops, and it was $6,500 for about 50 sf. When we looked into it pre-Covid it was only about $4,000. Last summer we had the outside painted, 2-story 3,500 sf house, and for that they honored their 2021 Covid quote of $7,500 but it took them over a year to get to us, due to shortages of both paint and labor. We were glad to have done all of the windows in 2018, triple pane for $14,000, and the roof in 2019 before Covid because they replaced cedar and had to do plywood, that with new gutters was $22,000. Hopefully things are not as expensive out your way. For us the biggest inconvenience was just the counters, waiting about 10 days from taking out the old to the installation of the new. Washing dishes in the half bath sink was not fun. Lumber prices are back to reality now, but still a good 30% higher than 2019. I just hauled in a new 48" bathroom vanity for our master bath upstairs, not that heavy but cutting up all that cardboard to recycle took a lot of effort. Good luck with your projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 07:45 PM

19,801 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We just did new quartz counter tops, and it was $6,500 for about 50 sf. When we looked into it pre-Covid it was only about $4,000. Last summer we had the outside painted, 2-story 3,500 sf house, and for that they honored their 2021 Covid quote of $7,500 but it took them over a year to get to us, due to shortages of both paint and labor. We were glad to have done all of the windows in 2018, triple pane for $14,000, and the roof in 2019 before Covid because they replaced cedar and had to do plywood, that with new gutters was $22,000. Hopefully things are not as expensive out your way. For us the biggest inconvenience was just the counters, waiting about 10 days from taking out the old to the installation of the new. Washing dishes in the half bath sink was not fun. Lumber prices are back to reality now, but still a good 30% higher than 2019. I just hauled in a new 48" bathroom vanity for our master bath upstairs, not that heavy but cutting up all that cardboard to recycle took a lot of effort. Good luck with your projects.
It will be 5-6 weeks to receive my butcher block counter tops. We are not ordering that until the base cabinets and new wall are done to ensure a proper measurement. The company I am ordering from requires them to do all the cuts and cutouts to maintain the warranty. So we'll have a temporary plywood top until they get delivered.

Old 03-11-2023, 01:45 PM

This is the tile my wife picked out.

One man shop in Missouri. Man it took some mental gymnastics to estimate all the different sizes and amounts- that was not fun! Our cabinets have a similar design but a tad lighter stain.

Old 03-11-2023, 03:31 PM

10,050 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

One man shop in Missouri. Man it took some mental gymnastics to estimate all the different sizes and amounts- that was not fun! Our cabinets have a similar design but a tad lighter stain.
Wow, that is gorgeous! How long do you expect to be without a "real" kitchen? Your dinner tonight (on the "What's for Dinner?" thread) sounded wonderful despite your temporary kitchen!

Old 03-11-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Wow, that is gorgeous! How long do you expect to be without a "real" kitchen? Your dinner tonight (on the "What's for Dinner?" thread) sounded wonderful despite your temporary kitchen!
Honestly? I estimate 3 months. There are still supply chain issues etc. We’re okay with that- we camp a lot and I have gear to get us by, plus several grills. We have a lot of home canned goods pre made as well.

It’s going to take 5-6 weeks for the countertop, and I have the front panel of my stove (knob panel) out for repair and to have it re-porcelained. So it’s going to be a while. We have our new sink and faucet fixtures stored in our shop, but they won’t be installed until after the new countertop comes in.

We’re fortunate that we have the room and resources to get by without a kitchen or living area.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:15 AM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

That tile is gorgeous! Your wife has a good eye.

Old 03-12-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That tile is gorgeous! Your wife has a good eye.
An expensive eye to boot. We were at a local store and she fell in love with some tile made by Sonoma Tilemakers. It was multicolored with some metallic sortof inlay.

$90 a sq/ft and $800 shipping/handling from CA to MT.

Thankfully we both agreed, and quickly, that was a line we would not cross.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I like your appliance choices. I have a 30 in. 1953 Wedgwood gas stove and eventually want a refrigerator from the same decade. My kitchen is pretty vintage with original 1959 solid oak cabinets and built-in china cupboard, so I want to maintain the same vibe overall. Yours sounds like it will look lovely.
We have a 1927 fridge. I t works great. It is a bit small and we have to keep a separate freezer (hidden away), but it has been fine. We bought it for $100 17 years ago from a guy who had it in his garage as a beer fridge.

We also ahve a stove from the late 1920s (Magic chef 1000) It is in the garage very slowly being restored. I looked into having it professionally restored may years ago and the price was $15,000. So it is obviously a big job. I hope I get it done someday. however I also have a car, a boat, a house, and a body to restore

Old 03-12-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh btw- That ossobucco was terrible. My wife and daughter agreed it was one of the worst thing we’ve eaten. It was some crock pot ‘kit’ where we add the beef shank and some tomato’s and beef stock.

It was awful. It’s getting pitched in the woods, lol.

Last edited by Threerun; 03-12-2023 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-12-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We have a 1927 fridge. I t works great. It is a bit small and we have to keep a separate freezer (hidden away), but it has been fine. We bought it for $100 17 years ago from a guy who had it in his garage as a beer fridge.

We also ahve a stove from the late 1920s (Magic chef 1000) It is in the garage very slowly being restored. I looked into having it professionally restored may years ago and the price was $15,000. So it is obviously a big job. I hope I get it done someday. however I also have a car, a boat, a house, and a body to restore
I would love to see pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House