Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM

135 posts, read 719,097 times

Advertisements

Curtain Rods:

For my new home, I am requiring 7 (top priority ), 4 (2nd priority), 4(3rd priority) curtain rods. 1 rod is going to be for family room 2 story ceiling - 12-13 ft length rod, Master room 11 ft rod, other places are averaging about 8 ft rods.
Buying Option
I started looking online for the prices, prices are too expensive which I didn't realize about it. I am looking for 2.5" dia rods.
Which is the better place to buy curtain rods for cheap and good quality?
Any places in Houston?

Build own curtain rods:
I am testing out this opportunity before i pull the trigger. I went to Home depot and bought 7 ft dowel wood rod, sand paper and ebony (dark color) stain) - still waiting for the final finish. Finials I have to buy outside.

What do you guys think? Is it better to buy or WE CAN BUILD OWN CURTAIN ROD up to the professional finish? any web links will be very helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 07:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
What do you guys think? Is it better to buy or WE CAN BUILD OWN CURTAIN ROD up to the professional finish? any web links will be very helpful...
Post a picture of your makeshift rod. Obviously, you will save a tremendous amount of money by doing it yourself. If it turns out looking good, I'd say go for it.

I'm sure we'll let you know how it looks.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
If you want to buy, check stores like Ross, Marshalls, and/or TJ Max (whichever you have in your area). Also, if you have an Ikea, they have cheap curtain rod options.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Any luck in Linens and Things who are having going out of business sales as we speak?

Some place in todays Sunday paper there was a one store only Home Depot that was having a tent sale and curtain rods were listed. I didn't even read the ad but it was some downtown Houston Home Deopt.

Im a Master Woodworker and I would not attempt to make my own. Just ain't worth the trouble since most curtain rods are fairly inexpensive and come in a varity of details. A dowel is a dowel is a dowel. Just a plain pole. You might save a few pennies but I just dont think we can make something as fancy and nice as the mass produced rods.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM

135 posts, read 719,097 times
Desertsun - I looked on home depot.com , i cant find the any store ad with curtain rods. i will look for the sunday paper again. you are right about the look, but curtain rods are expensive, for the 2 story ceiling height, i need atleast 2.5" to 3" diameter curtain rod with nice finial, its expensize. Please let me know if you know any cheap and good places to buy.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhomebuyer80 View Post
Desertsun - I looked on home depot.com , i cant find the any store ad with curtain rods. i will look for the sunday paper again. you are right about the look, but curtain rods are expensive, for the 2 story ceiling height, i need atleast 2.5" to 3" diameter curtain rod with nice finial, its expensize. Please let me know if you know any cheap and good places to buy.
Well Im not aware of where to buy stock wood dowels that are 2.5 to 3" thick. Many stores have a hobby rack with dowels that are 3' long. The fattest dowels I seen are 1.5". Even if you can find those finals, I imagine they would really rape your wallet for them. Even if you can find finals I would imagine they would be a premium hardwood. All dowels of any size are usually just Douglas Fir or Southern Yellow or White Pine. So the stain you choose would come out different on both woods.

I already threw away the Sunday paper. It was an ad for one store only with a big tent sale. It may even be for just Sunday.

What about plastic with a wood finish. Try Outwater Plastics. They make all kinds of crazy unusual items to simulate wood and in many colors.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I can see maybe making the wood rods, but then how are you attaching them? What are you finding for brackets?
I know this many rods can add up all at once, but they are going to be in your house for a long time, so I would not compromise.
The best source I've found for all sorts of rods is Country Curtains. I've had it, going from store to store looking for what I want and all they have is some ugly plastic, fake glamour, rods. Don't forget your time is worth something too.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,734 times
I bought (wood) closet rods, stained them, attached nice finials to the ends. I bought the cheap wooden brackets to hang them up with also. I stained them too. I also bought the wooden rings to go with it all, but you don't have to if you're going to hang tab-tops or wrap a valance on them.

On one window, I hung the drapes from the wooden rod and installed the old-fashioned white metal rod behind it and hung the sheers from that one.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,058,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Well Im not aware of where to buy stock wood dowels that are 2.5 to 3" thick. Many stores have a hobby rack with dowels that are 3' long. The fattest dowels I seen are 1.5". Even if you can find those finals, I imagine they would really rape your wallet for them. Even if you can find finals I would imagine they would be a premium hardwood. All dowels of any size are usually just Douglas Fir or Southern Yellow or White Pine. So the stain you choose would come out different on both woods.

I already threw away the Sunday paper. It was an ad for one store only with a big tent sale. It may even be for just Sunday.

What about plastic with a wood finish. Try Outwater Plastics. They make all kinds of crazy unusual items to simulate wood and in many colors.
I bought a closet rod for about $10 when the same rod in the curtain rod section was more than 5x more. The only difference was that one was stained and drilled at both ends. They have them in the lumber section of any Home Depot or Lowes. The only difference is at Home Depot, you can get it cut to any size and Lowe's comes in specific sizes.

It's pretty easy to stain and definitely worth the savings. Spend the money on the curtains instead... people won't be looking at the rods.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I bought (wood) closet rods, stained them, attached nice finials to the ends. I bought the cheap wooden brackets to hang them up with also. I stained them too. I also bought the wooden rings to go with it all, but you don't have to if you're going to hang tab-tops or wrap a valance on them.

On one window, I hung the drapes from the wooden rod and installed the old-fashioned white metal rod behind it and hung the sheers from that one.
MommyV, I guess some people have a bigger decorating budget than we do. Mine's about $3.

I helped a friend with the closet rods; OK, I did most of the work. She couldn't afford all of the rods that she needed. It's really not hard. Cut the rod to length, finish as desired, thread on curtains, attach finials to ends, place on brackets.

You can use dowels for shorter runs if you don't mind something thinner. I used those in my son's room; I painted them red.

These work well with curtains which have cased or tabbed headings. If you have cased curtains which are made from an opaque fabric, you can get away with using plastic pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating