Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 12:31 PM

4,840 posts, read 3,267,271 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone come to your website when granite isn't even in your list of the top 8 (or 6!) choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 06:11 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I only want quartz. It can look like many other materials.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:44 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Could be soapstone which can be gorgeous and can be otherwise. I have had soapstone counters before and absolutely loved them but they are for a pretty specific sort of look because 1) they only come in shades of gray and 2) they definitely develop a patina which some find beautiful but others don't. I personally loved having soapstone counters and people who visited would literally stand there and stroke my counter tops subconsciously, but to be honest when I came back in with new countertops in my new house I chose granite and not simply for the cost. The color wasn't what I wanted.

I built an entryway table a few years ago and topped it with a piece of soapstone whose base color is a light blue, and has many darker gray pots as well as a few streaks of yellowish-orange, from some angles it kinda looks like the side of a Spanish Mackerel. I like it a lot but would caution against its use where it might get easily dinged. Soapstone is basically talc and is quite soft, if I hold a nickel 6-8" above it and drop the coin the result will be a tiny chip in the stone.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I built an entryway table a few years ago and topped it with a piece of soapstone whose base color is a light blue, and has many darker gray pots as well as a few streaks of yellowish-orange, from some angles it kinda looks like the side of a Spanish Mackerel. I like it a lot but would caution against its use where it might get easily dinged. Soapstone is basically talc and is quite soft, if I hold a nickel 6-8" above it and drop the coin the result will be a tiny chip in the stone.
Wow, your soapstone was a lot softer than mine! I mean, mine had a good hand to it so to speak and it could scratch if someone was determined to scratch it, or if someone cut something acidic on it but otherwise it wasn't as soft as you're describing.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, your soapstone was a lot softer than mine! I mean, mine had a good hand to it so to speak and it could scratch if someone was determined to scratch it, or if someone cut something acidic on it but otherwise it wasn't as soft as you're describing.

I believe the table tops in my high school chem lab were soapstone, pure black, and quite hard. I don't know if there are different grades or if some destined for use in places like labs are treated somehow. I was quite surprised to see how easily I could chip mine, I'm talking a really, really tiny little chip but still, I didn't expect to drop a nickel such a small distance and see any mark at all in something with 'stone' in its name. But I love the look of the piece I have and it's fine for a tabletop that mostly has the day's mail, etc. placed on it but I would never use it for something like a working kitchen countertop. And I'd guess color variations in different pieces of soapstone may be due to some chemical(s) that have some effect on the hardness of the material.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:55 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I believe the table tops in my high school chem lab were soapstone, pure black, and quite hard.

Very old lab tables made in the 30’s- 50’s were usually made of slate- it is an inert material.
Most newer/today’s “lab benches” are made of “phenolic resin”.

Old 06-22-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Very old lab tables made in the 30’s- 50’s were usually made of slate- it is an inert material.

Likely what we really had as my school district's labs probably hadn't been updated since the '50s when I was in school.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Many old lab tables were topped with soapstone. I don't know about newer lab tables though - I graduated from high school in the 80s.

https://usenaturalstone.org/from-the...ar%20of%20soap.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Last time I changed a kitchen, I really wanted concrete with recycled glass. Love that look!
Couldn't find a fabricator. (I lived on an island, resources limited.)

So I chose a gorgeous stone with fossils in it, from a sample at Home Depot. Went to buy, they said it wasn't theirs, nobody else had it.

Found a lovely granite sample at another place, with lots of veins. The actual slabs were very plain.

I finally went with a nice large scale tile and latex grout.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Last time I changed a kitchen, I really wanted concrete with recycled glass. Love that look!
Couldn't find a fabricator. (I lived on an island, resources limited.)

So I chose a gorgeous stone with fossils in it, from a sample at Home Depot. Went to buy, they said it wasn't theirs, nobody else had it.

Found a lovely granite sample at another place, with lots of veins. The actual slabs were very plain.

I finally went with a nice large scale tile and latex grout.

I guess I was lucky, went to a local place that cut me a piece of soapstone from a larger slab they had in stock so I could see exactly what I was getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating