Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 03:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times

Advertisements

It looks like slate to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 09:24 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Not soapstone,it is too soft !!!!!!!
Quote:
The soapstone I know come in different colors and often used to carve statues ,it is cheaper than jade but much softer and easy to carve.

Regardless of density- it is used for countertop quite often. So, I wouldn’t be so quick to say it not.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
The soapstone I know come in different colors and often used to carve statues ,it is cheaper than jade but much softer and easy to carve.
I'd like to see some of that but I haven't been able to find anything other than shades of gray or grayish green. I love it though.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Interesting charts and facts:
Countertop Comparison Chart | Which Material Is Right For You

https://countertopguides.com/guides/...untertops.html

Old 12-04-2022, 04:31 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I do. I'm getting either the boomerang or the cracked ice pattern for my new countertops next spring. Either will go perfectly with my restored 1953 gas stove. If I get the cracked ice, it will be red to go with the red and white stove. Sweeeet!
Your kitchen sounds like it's perfect for your house and gorgeous vintage stove. Will you be doing metal edging on your new countertops or will they have a pre-formed edge?

The current countertops in my kitchen are original to the house (white with gold flecks and smooth stainless steel edging and coving), although I didn't know that when I bought the house as the former homeowner had painted the countertops with latex paint.

I'll be replacing them with the glossy version of gray cracked ice when I finally get around to replacing the countertops, but really want to also have the banding as it is now as it goes perfectly with my original-to-the-house brushed stainless/chrome wall oven, cooktop, and hood as well as the cabinet hardware.

While I love soapstone countertops and also appreciate the more modern trend(s) towards Corian, granite and now quartz (and sometimes concrete) in new kitchen design, a shiny laminate countertop with metal edging just suits the original kitchen of my own house.

Old 12-31-2022, 09:41 AM

372 posts, read 204,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Looks to me like poured concrete, and if so, no, they are still not very popular. I would say 8th or 9th most popular after all of the other choices. Quartz recently overtook granite in popularity, thank goodness,
and rounding out the top 8 in order are:

Marble, Quartzite, Porcelain, Wood , Concrete, and Ceramic Tile.
I just read today that white marble is on its way out. Anything that's "in" for a few years, fairly quickly goes "out." Harvest gold and avocado green, the country blues and pinks combination...they were huge. I'm into neutrals (always), where the look can be "updated", with pillows, accessories, an accent wall, etc. Remember how granite was "the" thing, and now it's quartz. LOL, that will be your "thank goodness" in a couple of years. If you follow trends, your "look" will soon be dated and you will have spent a lot of money on something you will tear out...on with the next trend.

Old 01-02-2023, 03:51 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I just read today that white marble is on its way out. Anything that's "in" for a few years, fairly quickly goes "out." Harvest gold and avocado green, the country blues and pinks combination...they were huge. I'm into neutrals (always), where the look can be "updated", with pillows, accessories, an accent wall, etc. Remember how granite was "the" thing, and now it's quartz. LOL, that will be your "thank goodness" in a couple of years. If you follow trends, your "look" will soon be dated and you will have spent a lot of money on something you will tear out...on with the next trend.
Haha! White marble will never be “out”. It’s been used for many decades in kitchens and will always remain a favorite for many. I never cared for granite - many people didn’t due to the busy look of it. There’s more options than ever today, so easier to find something you love.

Old 01-02-2023, 04:54 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Haha! White marble will never be “out”. It’s been used for many decades in kitchens and will always remain a favorite for many. I never cared for granite - many people didn’t due to the busy look of it. There’s more options than ever today, so easier to find something you love.
Sometime between now and later we will choose one. The one that someone said looked like concrete looks fairly nice. Since the counter top will be ours the only ones considered thus far are granite, marble, and quartz. Cost per square feet will be a factor. The counter is 13 feet and will require a seam.

Old 01-03-2023, 02:59 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,945 times
Regarding the OP’s photo, I strongly suspect that it is some sort of laminate, and not any sort of solid surface. It is very uniform and also has a drop-in sink. Most people don’t install drop-in sinks in countertops which can handle undermount sinks (although I actually like drop-in sinks.)

I’m not an expert but I actually really WANTED a laminate countertop for the next 5 years or so because of how low-maintenance and durable they are, and there are tons of new styles which really look great if you are okay with something that isn’t high-end.

As an aside, I love the look of soapstone but actually carved small soapstone statues in high school and I was amazed at just how easily I could carve it with a knife. (We used knives called Sloyd knives.)

Old 01-03-2023, 06:00 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
When we redid our kitchen last year, I chose quartz and absolutely love it. I don't care what is in or out, this is what I personally love. Not only is it spectacularly beautiful, but easy to clean and care for. It was expensive but worth every dime, it will last forever. The compliments come in by the basketful.

I think concrete is ugly and dull, but I guess it has its fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating