Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
You act like this is all so simple and it's not. I have heard people having to pay close to $1,000 a month in premiums. That is not affordable. And I don't know if you've noticed, but the economy is horrible and jobs are hard to come by. It's hard enough to get just one job. People have to pay for food, rent, utilities, gas, clothes, and other necessities, which gets expensive. No one should have to get a second job just so that they can afford healthcare.
People that in in the income level we are talking about are NOT paying $1000/month, not even close to that. People in that income category are paying less than $200/month--and some are paying NOTHING....

The economy is NOT horrible. Unemployment rates are in the 8% range nationally and MUCH less in many places. The Dow Jones is at an all time HIGH. There are PLENTY of jobs out there...especially since we are talking about earning a couple hundred/month--so one night a week as a waitress and you would earn that easily. It IS easy, but you have to go out and DO something about it....

Ok, don't get a second job so you can afford health insurance, pay for that with your 1st job, get a second job to pay for food and clothing because guess what, that is what adults do if they don't earn enough money from their first job---or, they find a first job that pays better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:57 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,214,772 times
Now for those of us who don't GET a refund after we file, WE are safe from the illegal mandate since they can't take what you don't receive!
A select few of us who do not need a doctor's care, shouldn't need to pay for something we won't use such as health care insurance. I had no need for it then nor now. I just can't see people being illegally FORCED to pay for something they choose not to purchase.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Now for those of us who don't GET a refund after we file, WE are safe from the illegal mandate since they can't take what you don't receive!
A select few of us who do not need a doctor's care, shouldn't need to pay for something we won't use such as health care insurance. I had no need for it then nor now. I just can't see people being illegally FORCED to pay for something they choose not to purchase.
It doesn't come from a "refund" it will be a line item on your taxes. It's a question asked on your 2013 taxes already and next year you will have to prove you have insurance. Also, the ACA is law. It's been held up by the supreme court. It's not illegal.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM

356 posts, read 281,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
People that in in the income level we are talking about are NOT paying $1000/month, not even close to that. People in that income category are paying less than $200/month--and some are paying NOTHING....

The economy is NOT horrible. Unemployment rates are in the 8% range nationally and MUCH less in many places. The Dow Jones is at an all time HIGH. There are PLENTY of jobs out there...especially since we are talking about earning a couple hundred/month--so one night a week as a waitress and you would earn that easily. It IS easy, but you have to go out and DO something about it....

Ok, don't get a second job so you can afford health insurance, pay for that with your 1st job, get a second job to pay for food and clothing because guess what, that is what adults do if they don't earn enough money from their first job---or, they find a first job that pays better.
Wow golfgal, that is harsh!! This is happening to young, hardworking people all over the country. And since the majority of them are relatively healthy, they are choosing to give up the health insurance in favor of food or heat.

I hope you're never in the position where you have to choose . . .

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
Wow golfgal, that is harsh!! This is happening to young, hardworking people all over the country. And since the majority of them are relatively healthy, they are choosing to give up the health insurance in favor of food or heat.

I hope you're never in the position where you have to choose . . .
Been there done that and ate Mac and cheese so I wouldn't go without health insurance....and worked two or three jobs to pay my bills....as did most of the people I knew when they were young and just starting out. We all had two or more roommates to make ends meet too. It's called taking care of yourself....and these "hard working" young adults you talk about don't understand that unfortunately.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,906,621 times
Quote:
Been there done that and ate Mac and cheese so I wouldn't go without health insurance....and worked two or three jobs to pay my bills....as did most of the people I knew when they were young and just starting out. We all had two or more roommates to make ends meet too. It's called taking care of yourself....and these "hard working" young adults you talk about don't understand that unfortunately.
You know Golfgal, I cannot believe on this thread that I agree with you 100%. It's called personal responsibility and too many have other priorities like cell phones, cable TV, internet, the latest fashion clothes for their kids but unwilling to fork out $200.00 a month or so to provide a safety net of healthcare for themselves than their kids. Like it or not and I have heard it many, many times "well I can always go to the emergency room".

Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
You know Golfgal, I cannot believe on this thread that I agree with you 100%. It's called personal responsibility and too many have other priorities like cell phones, cable TV, internet, the latest fashion clothes for their kids but unwilling to fork out $200.00 a month or so to provide a safety net of healthcare for themselves than their kids. Like it or not and I have heard it many, many times "well I can always go to the emergency room".
Unfortunately too many young people are a product of their upbringing and we are deep in the "everyone wins" generation who has been shielded from any true adversity...sure there are some kids out there that are hard workers to normal society standards but the 20 somethings typically are not..and there is just an overall sense of entitlement that is very damaging--not just that they can go to the ER but that they are entitled to the "good things" in life because they are too used to them and don't realize that their parents, their boss, etc. worked their way up to get those things...

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM

274 posts, read 705,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
im in NJ and a friend of mine who's 24 year old daughter who had no insurance and applied on the healthcare.gov site was approved for the state's health insurance NJ family care, her income was very low for the year less than $10,000 grand as she only works part time and goes to school, she has no monthly premium, and does have small co-pays for the Dr visits. Now I do understand some people's situations are going to be different but there is no reason why low income people should not have access to health care.
Exactly true. Everyone's situation is different so numbers may vary, but basically if you can't afford it, then help will come along. That's how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
You act like this is all so simple and it's not. I have heard people having to pay close to $1,000 a month in premiums. That is not affordable. And I don't know if you've noticed, but the economy is horrible and jobs are hard to come by. It's hard enough to get just one job. People have to pay for food, rent, utilities, gas, clothes, and other necessities, which gets expensive. No one should have to get a second job just so that they can afford healthcare.
Not true. Anyone struggling to pay for food, rent, utilities, gas and clothes, WILL NOT have to pay premium close to $1000/mo. Especially if they are young, that is far from the truth. Something's wrong if you are one of them. Please come forward. Many of us here in this forum will be able to help.

In the worst case, under certain circumstances it may be that they can't get immediate subsidy, but even then they will get due tax credit for the next year tax return. Then it might be nuisance or inconvenience to resolve as time goes by, but not a fundamental flaw.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times
Quote:
Unfortunately too many young people are a product of their upbringing and we are deep in the "everyone wins" generation who has been shielded from any true adversity...sure there are some kids out there that are hard workers to normal society standards but the 20 somethings typically are not..and there is just an overall sense of entitlement that is very damaging--not just that they can go to the ER but that they are entitled to the "good things" in life because they are too used to them and don't realize that their parents, their boss, etc. worked their way up to get those things...
thanks for painting us with that brush. you're such a caring an compassionate person. who the hell are you to bring up "personal responsibility" when someone foregos having health insurance to put food on the table? and by the way, even $200 a month is not "cheap".

get a second job to afford health insurance? that's your solution? you think you have it all figured out dont you? many people dont have that option. besides, what healthy 20 something in their right mind would go through that added trouble just to afford a lousy $300/month high deductible health plan that they will BARELY use? yeah, things happen. but id rather take that gamble rather than sign up for a government perpetuated ponzi scheme designed to screw us over even more

if i didnt get healthcare through my current employer, i would not have health insurance under the "affordable care act". i'd rather pay the $95 fee and just hope that the steps i take for a healthy lifestyle are sufficient enough until i find a job with healthcare. i certainly wouldnt sign up for a healthcare program where the premise would be a $95 or 1% penalty for not having insurance just because you cant afford it. it is just another poor tax. hell, i wouldn't even have insurance now if i didn't have several PLANNED medical bills heading my way and a second job.

you're delusional

Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
thanks for painting us with that brush. you're such a caring an compassionate person. who the hell are you to bring up "personal responsibility" when someone foregos having health insurance to put food on the table? and by the way, even $200 a month is not "cheap".

get a second job to afford health insurance? that's your solution? you think you have it all figured out dont you? many people dont have that option. besides, what healthy 20 something in their right mind would go through that added trouble just to afford a lousy $300/month high deductible health plan that they will BARELY use? yeah, things happen. but id rather take that gamble rather than sign up for a government perpetuated ponzi scheme designed to screw us over even more

if i didnt get healthcare through my current employer, i would not have health insurance under the "affordable care act". i'd rather pay the $95 fee and just hope that the steps i take for a healthy lifestyle are sufficient enough until i find a job with healthcare. i certainly wouldnt sign up for a healthcare program where the premise would be a $95 or 1% penalty for not having insurance just because you cant afford it. it is just another poor tax. hell, i wouldn't even have insurance now if i didn't have several PLANNED medical bills heading my way and a second job.

you're delusional
I rest my case.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance