Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I absolutely support the ACA, not because I think it is a long-term solution, it's failure to adequately control health care costs will eventually doom it. But I do believe we can then start looking at a more realistic long-term solution such as SOCIALIZED insurance (NOT medicine or treatment). In other words a single payer system that can negotiate with private health care providers on costs---like is done in most, not all, European countries.

Health insurance companies have no incentive to control costs other than dumping people on the street more quickly than they should if they go to the hospital (oh, yes, I worked in a hospital and the insurance companies sent nurses to review cases in the hospital who would tell doctors the patient needed to be released--doctor won't comply and he is off the preferred provider list).

Zen, you should be realistic---the subsidies are going away in a few years and you will bear the full cost. Either start planning your budget around that, or plan to pay the increasing penalties for not purchasing the coverage. And being snarky about others providing you a subsidy doesn't help us as a nation work together for one another.
Good words , but don't you think all this complicated stuff is a waste of time, in the end ? You said so your self about the nasty Insurance Companies who are the ones we need to get rid of. There is no reason for any Company to profit on peoples health care, its shameful !

Insurance is a bad name in my book anyway, its just gambling with other peoples money.. If there were no insurance companies , costs for everything would go down. Have you checked how much money these thieves rake in,? the insane profits are not necessary. The real reason insurance companies exist in the first place was to hedge bets in the world of stocks and bonds, IE: Wall Street..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:35 AM

805 posts, read 1,872,598 times
Quote:
Zen, you should be realistic---the subsidies are going away in a few years and you will bear the full cost. .
What makes you say that?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The husband and me, that is.
We'll be receiving our packets and cards toward the end of this month.

Total cost for health and dental coverage?
$152.23 (or $76.12 from each of us.)

Thanks, rich people! Hahahahahahaaa!
One would think if OP is posting in the retirement forum ;he/she would realize just who owns those insurance companies. Cost isn't being shifedt to the rich in those exchanges. One only needs to look at wealth shift since the mid 60's when first so called wealth sharing started to see its the path to the bottom not wealth if dependent on it.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:21 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
What makes you say that?
It's a matter of time. Is your income the same as it was thirty years ago?

Quote:
Importantly, according to the CBO, millions of people are not eligible for subsidies and the amount of the subsidy declines significantly as incomes rise. The CBO states that more than 40 percent of people purchasing coverage in the individual market today would be ineligible for premium subsidies. Individuals with incomes between 250-300 percent of the federal poverty line (FPL) would receive subsidies sufficient to cover 42 percent of the cost of the second lowest-cost “silver†plan while those with incomes between 350-400 percent of the FPL would receive subsidies sufficient to cover just 13 percent of the premium. Moreover, due to how the subsidies are indexed, CBO states that over time “the shares of the premiums that the subsidies cover will decline.â€
America's Health Insurance Plans - Affordability

In addition, as people hit the 65 mark, they will move into medicare.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:23 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Wealth transfer from the young ( who have the least wealth ) to the old ( those with the most wealth ). Baby boomers are the most selfish generation ever!
Not so! So many baby boomers support in one way or another their
children who can't seem to manage their lives.
From child care to actual cash handouts. I could go on and
on.
Younger people will probably not sign up; it would
be cheaper for them to just pay the penalty.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:27 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
IF you had to pay the cost without the subsidy, would it have been a true hardship?

Oh hell, yes. It would have been unthinkable.
The subsidies are a must. Since health insurance will be mandatory as of 1/1/2014, it's in everyone's interest that husband and I don't knock over a bank just to afford the premiums.
Did you have insurance before this or were you going without?

Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We are also self employed but take a W2 and have for a really long time.

I read somewhere that $62,041 is the magic number to be under? Is that the way?
Try this:

Subsidy Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Quote:
Zen, you should be realistic---the subsidies are going away in a few years and you will bear the full cost. Either start planning your budget around that, or plan to pay the increasing penalties for not purchasing the coverage..
Zen won't bear the full cost. Govt can't get water from a stone. For many, no matter what, if medical insurance isn't subsidized, it can't be bought.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:16 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
"Did you have insurance before this or were you going without?"

Neither my husband nor I had a speck of insurance; not health, dental or vision, and had not for 12 years.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:41 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
"Did you have insurance before this or were you going without?"

Neither my husband nor I had a speck of insurance; not health, dental or vision, and had not for 12 years.
So you're not only the poster child but a very lucky one (assuming/hoping you made it through all those years without incident )

Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,549,353 times
Given their ages - "in a few years" - they'll likely both be qualified for Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance