Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,370 times

Advertisements

@mo_stl: how did your mom get credit history? does she have SSN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 02:38 PM

951 posts, read 1,452,040 times
I found this website

New immigrants over 65 years old can get health insurance very cheap

Go head and try it

New Immigrant Insurance. Health insurance for new immigrants.

I choosed 50-100K on the top right of the page as coverage

And it gave me a plan costing less than 200/month with good coverage

Thanks to everyone, I was looking for this for a looong time

I can not believe it is soo cheap

Last edited by misterno; 04-12-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 PM

274 posts, read 704,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I found this website

New immigrants over 65 years old can get health insurance very cheap

Go head and try it

New Immigrant Insurance. Health insurance for new immigrants.

I choosed 50-100K on the top right of the page as coverage

And it gave me a plan costing less than 200/month with good coverage

Thanks to everyone, I was looking for this for a looong time

I can not believe it is soo cheap
This option is not new. Simply speaking, that is an extended version of traveler's insurance. In essence, this is not compatible with health insurance that we are generally talking about. In other words, this will not satisfy the minimum coverage requirements under ACA. For anyone travelling to the US this might be a great option, but not for US residents.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 8,259 times
Default Public charge and means tested benefits

I'm not an expert on affidavit support yet 100% sure but I remembered reading somethings talking about the definition on public charge. Basically when you sign that document you are promising that your mother won't become a public charge to US. And use of Medicaid will NOT affect the public charge decision unless you use Medicaid or other government funds to pay for long-term care.

Also new immigrants may still get certain benefits. You are generally not eligible for the federal “means-tested public benefits”. However, these immigrants are eligible for emergency Medicaid and most other federal benefits. States can choose to provide Medicaid and CHIP to lawfully residing children and pregnant women regardless of their date of entry, without sponsor-related barriers. In some states, immigrants can get state-funded medical, food, or cash assistant.

So I guess it depends on your state. There's a reason people in similar situation apply for medicaid and medicaid approves them.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,259 times
I didn't finish the whole 5 page posts but if your mom was still uninsured I'd say go get one now! With her age, she needs to be insured and it's good for your family too. If you had to go with medicaid, the worst scenario is that you need to repay the benefits she used, to me it's still better than having my elderly mom go around with no insurance. Korea sounds far and because she has no insurance you may wait for the last minute to seek for medical help in US. Having her checked routinely and possibly getting a repay statement vs. putting her at risk for going to emergency (god bless her she'll never), I'd go with the first.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
This option is not new. Simply speaking, that is an extended version of traveler's insurance. In essence, this is not compatible with health insurance that we are generally talking about. In other words, this will not satisfy the minimum coverage requirements under ACA. For anyone travelling to the US this might be a great option, but not for US residents.
Sequon I am happy u were able to resolve your mom's health insurance needs.
I have a similar need and just wanted to clarify if the ACA plan covers your mom's pre-ex conditions from the get go.
Tnx and best wishes

Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 PM

274 posts, read 704,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman2u View Post
Sequon I am happy u were able to resolve your mom's health insurance needs.
I have a similar need and just wanted to clarify if the ACA plan covers your mom's pre-ex conditions from the get go.
Tnx and best wishes
Absolutely. With the ACA, pre-existing conditions are left in the past.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 10,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
Insubuy, I have no reason to argue with you. I thought it was insubuy that got me all those junk mails/calls, then maybe it wasn't you. probably it was something else. Thanks for correcting my memory.

Since 2012, I was desperately searching for options for my mother's health coverage. It's just too bad that I could not get connected with you back then. Now I just say "sorry about my misunderstanding. good luck on your business" and I will move on, but, if you care, for the record, can you show us some possible health coverage options for a 79-year-old senior with a history of stroke 1) as of 2012 and 2) as of 2014?

What I found was 1) back in 2012 not many options were available, and some available options (including insubuy) offered a premium of about $2000/mo, but 2) now in 2014, with ACA, we found a bunch of (20+) options ranging from $500/mo to $1000/mo and we picked one for $640/mo. Please tell me I am wrong. Please tell me things would have been very different in 2012, had I known you back then. Please tell me you can offer a very competitive plan for a good price now. I will not be hesitant to switch to you.
Sequon

I will be immigrating to the US within the next 12 months and I have been desperately searching for ACA plans in Texas. Seems like nobody will sell me a plan over age 64. Please tell me some of the 20+ options you mention above. Desperate for information.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:55 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
I will be immigrating to the US within the next 12 months and I have been desperately searching for ACA plans in Texas. Seems like nobody will sell me a plan over age 64. Please tell me some of the 20+ options you mention above. Desperate for information.
Start by exploring this website and its links:

Medicare eligibility for new immigrants who are green card holders

Inbound Immigrant Insurance - Health Insurance for new immigrants to USA

Old 06-05-2014, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 10,854 times
Ariadne22,

I have. All I can find is a type of bridging insurance like Patriot. This doesn't cover preventative doctor visits or pre-existing conditions. Insubuy is not a solution. I need a proper healthcare plan until I have been in the US for 5 years to be eligible for Medicare. I spoke a representative at Insubuy and they told me that these visitor products don't qualify for ACA regulations and I would then incur a penalty. I spoke to a representative at Healthcare.gov who also didn't have a clue how to get a 65 year old on to a regular plan like Bluecross or UHC or Cigna. I tried speaking to a Bluecross rep in Texas and I got the same answer. No regular healthcare plane for over 64. So I see that Sequon found healthcare plans for his mother and I just don't know where to find this!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Health Insurance