Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:01 PM

150 posts, read 577,067 times

Advertisements

in Sentara a place you would want to have your baby? We were in Norfolk a couple months ago and riding back to NC my niece complained of chest pains, so I used my GARMIN and there was a Sentara not even 4 miles from us. We went there to the ER, was seen within 10 minutes of waiting and the staff was very friendly. Was I just lucky this one night or are they always like this?

Would you trust them to give you the best care while youre in labor?

I'm a guy by the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 05:29 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,041 times
Since she was seen in 10 minutes, I think it was a slow night. Because usually it can be longer before they see you unless you are not breathing or something, then you are seen right away!

As far as the maternity ward in Sentara. I believe it to be very good. My cousin had her baby there two years ago, and everything went smoothly. They even have this infant security system where each newborn gets a tag and if the newborn is taken toward the exit without authorization, the whole hospital goes into lockdown. I'm not sure if every hospital does this, but I think it's a nice feature for a hospital to have.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:33 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
I'm sure it depends on what Sentara Hospital you are talking about. There are two in Norfolk. Sentara Leigh and Sentara Norfolk General. There are also two in Viriginia Beach. Sentara Bayside and Sentara Virginia Beach General. I've heard many good things about Norfolk General.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM

91 posts, read 374,539 times
Sentera is great. I've was satisfied with my experiences in the maternity floor while there. And yes, the security feature for newborns is comforting.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I don't know about Sentara, but Chesapeake General is a great place to have a baby. I know a lot of people who have driven from other cities just to have their babies there.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 PM

162 posts, read 638,275 times
I wouldn't hesitate to have a baby at any of the Sentara hospitals. They've been great any time we've been there for anything at all. And friends have had babies at Leigh southside and at CarePlex on the peninsula.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 PM

75 posts, read 304,885 times
I just had a baby at Sentara VA Beach General. It was a routine delivery, no complications. I thought it was fine.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:34 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
I had a c-section at the Sentara in Williamsburg and found that if I ever get pregnant again, I will travel to Richmond! The doctor I had botched the c-section so not really Sentara's fault but the nurses there overdrugged me after the fact and this was their fault because they were not checking the chart times and dosage amounts so I was overdrugged and could not move for a whole two days. When I finally got up out of bed there was a nurse present and, now, this is gross, I hemorrhaged and was left standing in a pool of blood for about 5 minutes, with my mom holding me, my husband running down the hall to get the nurse that had left me standing there or to just find some general help. I was too weak to stand so my mom had to basically drag me over to the bathroom where I sat and the first person on staff to show up to help was the janitor! He was there cleaning up this mess with still no doctor or nurse in site. It was embarassing and awful and I cannot even imagine having to EVER go through something like that again! I would not have any major medical care through Sentara at this point.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:25 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
My DH has surgery at Leigh yesterday. Best of care was given and I really like their e-care system. In the family waiting room, there is a screen that you can track your family/friend on to find if they are still in OR or recovery. The volunteers do a great job in keeping you informed. After the surgery, the Doctor comes in, explains what was done/issues/things to look for and the fine folks in recovery are the best!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:49 PM

3 posts, read 14,075 times
IF you like a more recently updated and smaller hospital Leigh is a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area